Author Topic: Trump’s Border Wall Boondoggle  (Read 464 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Trump’s Border Wall Boondoggle
« on: August 12, 2018, 04:00:44 pm »
Bloomberg August 10, 2018

The president wants to waste billions. Details to follow.

By the scandalous standards of recent policy on immigration, it may seem like small potatoes. With a federal court demanding that separated parents and young children be reunited, and the Trump administration saying it doesn’t know where all of them are, instances of ordinary incompetence might seem hardly worth mentioning. Even so, the findings of a new Government Accountability Office report on the building of a southern border wall shouldn’t pass unnoticed.

A plan that was a bad idea to start with is being carried out, according to the report, “without key information on cost, acquisition baselines, and the contributions of previous barrier and technology deployments.” In every way, President Donald Trump’s wall promises to be a monument to fiscal dereliction.

The administration has yet to explain the rationale for a 2,000-mile barrier across terrain that is often inhospitable and substantially privately owned, and that will do little by itself to stem illegal immigration. It commissioned designs without securing support for the idea in Congress, from the public, or from border-state politicians whose states and economies would be most affected. On the basis of this report, you can be sure of one thing: This ill-conceived project would be needlessly expensive, even by the standards of ill-conceived projects.

More: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-08-10/trump-s-border-wall-with-mexico-is-confirmed-as-wasteful-spending

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Trump’s Border Wall Boondoggle
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 05:01:25 pm »
Some citizen-voters do NOT believe improved border security is "wasteful,"

lefist Bloomberg notwithstanding.

Call it Wall, Fence, Barrier, Moat, River, Drone, Crossing station, etc.

Then reinforce it with E-Verify, picture IDs, Deportations, Ending Chain - migration, etc.

It is Congress, which has let America down. Not President Trump.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 05:04:36 pm »
Some citizen-voters do NOT believe improved border security is "wasteful,"

lefist Bloomberg notwithstanding.

Call it Wall, Fence, Barrier, Moat, River, Drone, Crossing station, etc.

Then reinforce it with E-Verify, picture IDs, Deportations, Ending Chain - migration, etc.

It is Congress, which has let America down. Not President Trump.

888high58888

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 07:23:42 pm »
I agree that much of the border is not good for building walls.
The wife and I have been to the border often in the past fifteen years. Last year we drove about sixty miles along the Rio Grande from Terlingua to Presidio, Texas. Beautiful country.
But the idea that walls won't help is simply wrong.  People scoffed when Israel built their wall. It cut down terrorism dramatically.
Walls don't have to built right on the border. Further inland will work just as well. Much of the territory is so desolate, people would die trying to go far on foot.
Electronic or other forms of surveillance could be added.
But anything that makes it more difficult for illegals to get across will be good.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 07:42:50 pm »
Walls conjure up a concrete/metallic structure.
A modern Wall is essentially an electronic configuration
of detectors, drones, satellites, screens and all the rest.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 10:56:10 pm »
If I had been in charge on September 11 2001 you wouldn't have been able to get a cockroach across any of our borders without my permission in short order and I don't give one hoot in hell who doesn't like it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline darroll

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 11:13:09 pm »
Look at all of those illegals sneaking across the border.
Not illegals, but dem voters, dummie.