Author Topic: Why Saudi Arabia is lashing out at Canada  (Read 540 times)

Offline corbe

Why Saudi Arabia is lashing out at Canada
« on: August 09, 2018, 03:13:49 am »
Why Saudi Arabia is lashing out at Canada

Alex Kliment of GZERO Media 6 hours ago

In recent days, Saudi Arabia has thrown a fit over Canada's call for the release of recently-jailed activist Samar Badawi, an outspoken champion of women’s rights.

Between the lines: By the standards of the old pantomime act in which Western governments criticize Saudi Arabia’s appalling human rights record but more or less leave the energy-rich and strategically aligned kingdom alone, Canada’s statement hardly stands out. So why the furious response?

The latest...

•Riyadh has kicked out the Canadian ambassador, recalled its own envoy, cancelled flights between the two countries, and put a freeze on new bilateral trade and investment.
•A pro-government youth club went so far as to post (but then remove) an image that seemed to threaten Canada with a 9/11 style terrorist attack.

The bigger picture...

<..snip..>

https://www.axios.com/why-saudi-arabia-is-angry-at-canada-ff00875b-568b-46c0-bb2e-b20dd13bd6f4.html
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Why Saudi Arabia is lashing out at Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 03:27:47 am »
This article was written by a very very stupid person. This isn't some bump in the road between the countries. Saudi Arabia is in the middle of divesting themselves of everything Canada no matter the loss. They are dumping ALL of their Canadian equities and bonds even if they take a loss. The Russians are siding with them as well. All of this is not just over this stupid woman protester but because Trudeau has pissed off the world with his Commie bullshit. He is about as hated world wide as any leader can be.

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 03:43:41 am »
   I stand corrected @Frank Cannon and highly offended that you would directly attack an Article that I posted that is not from The Hill.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 03:46:25 am »
   I stand corrected @Frank Cannon and highly offended that you would directly attack an Article that I posted that is not from The Hill.

Yeah, because Axios, who think their readers are so stupid they have to boil everything down to 4 bullet points written for a third grader is any different than The Hill politically.

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 03:55:52 am »
   I have to admit you have a point there @Frank Cannon, but isn't 1~2 syllable words an effective form of communication today?

I post a lot of stuff from The Hill, yes half their articles are BS and their comment section is a Trumpbart transvestite on steroids, but some of their writers give us a fair shake. 
   The hard thing is discerning what TBR can willingly consume and my TDS gets in the way, sometimes, admittedly. 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 03:57:32 am »
Canada, one article said, is enlisting help from the UK and UAE (United Arab Emirates) to try to cool this thing down. Here is a good take from Business Insider:

Saudi Arabia crucified a man in Mecca while aggressively calling out Canada over human rights
Alex Lockie

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia executed a man by crucifixion in the holy city of Mecca on Wednesday amid trying to attack Canada on its human-rights record.

Saudi Arabia frequently uses capital punishment for crimes like homosexuality or anti-government activities, though crucifixions are rare.

It has lashed out at Canada, sometimes harshly, since Ottawa last week called for the release of jailed women's rights activists in the kingdom.

Saudi Arabia has restricted travel, medical access, and student scholarships to Canada while using its state-owned media to depict the country as unjust.

Read more at: https://www.businessinsider.com/saudi-arabia-crucified-man-in-mecca-while-calling-out-canada-human-rights-2018-8

OK, has to be said from what I understand and covered here, thanks to @thackney  , that the man was not actually executed by crucifixion. But that is probably the way, many people understand it to be if it is not clarified to them. See other threads on this topic.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 04:00:13 am by TomSea »