Author Topic: Someone tell Trump supporters two wrongs don't make a right (Hillyer)  (Read 703 times)

Online corbe

Someone tell Trump supporters two wrongs don't make a right

by Quin Hillyer

August 03, 2018 11:45 AM

This isn’t about who should have been elected president in 2016; it’s about what is or isn’t acceptable behavior from any president or his staff, today or at any time.

It is long past time for leaders of the conservative movement, the conservative commentariat, and the Republican Party to begin insisting again on standards of decency, rather than embracing double standards or the morally fraught resort to “whataboutism.”

Almost daily, leaders or pundits or activists, who formerly seemed to know better, now deflect criticism of misbehavior by Trump or his supporters by irrelevant comparisons – as if some earlier offenses by liberals excuse today’s transgressions by conservatives’ own side.

For example, it doesn’t matter if “our side” does bad stuff, because we can ask “what about” what the Left did at another point.

So, for example, without saying a word against the vile behavior by Trump fans against press covering a rally in Tampa, one conservative activist belittled the complaints of one of the abused reporters by tweeting that “it would have been really traumatizing” to have been shot at like Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La., was last year. (The activist is a friend, so I won’t name him, especially because I could use dozens or hundreds of examples interchangeably and it’s not fair to single him out.)

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/someone-tell-trump-supporters-two-wrongs-dont-make-a-right
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Suppressed

Re: Someone tell Trump supporters two wrongs don't make a right (Hillyer)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 04:45:57 pm »
How else do you defend the indefensible?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 04:54:51 pm »
Someone tell Trump supporters two wrongs don't make a right

That idea and sentiment is for LOSERS.

We have already been lectured that the behavior we once decried from the Left is perfectly acceptable when OUR GUY DOES IT!

Juvenile tit-for-tat intimidation tactics and behavior is now a patriotic virtue when Trump and his people engage in it apparently.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 05:04:59 pm »
Er, Steve Scalise wasn't just 'shot at last year'.

Why would the writer seek to minimize that event, let alone compare it with some CNN reporter having his feelings hurt by chanting rally goers?

Folks complaining about 'whataboutism' remind me of Harry complaining to Loyd about double stamping a triple stamp.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 05:06:19 pm »

Good to see Miss Manners weigh in but with that said,  I and I am sure, others, have reservations about some things that happen such as the twitter account. Others see no problem with it. Some say, they expressly approve the tweeting. The author dredges up old news, Marion Le Pen and Milo?  Steve Bannon? I don't see problems with him.

Trump throws out a lot of info; some of it may be in error but I would not say that is necessarily a lie.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 05:07:28 pm by TomSea »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 05:15:22 pm »

The author is a nobody. His judgment is awful. Scalise nearly died, at the hands of a violent actor.

There is no comparison between strong talk about the biased media, and acts of violence.

Those unable to distinguish same, deserve zero attention.

*still waiting for the Special Pulpit Binding Version, of "Foundational Principles"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 05:52:48 pm »

Why would the writer seek to minimize that event, let alone compare it with some CNN reporter having his feelings hurt by chanting rally goers?

It reads like it was the reporter's comment that said that.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 06:22:08 pm »
It is long past time for leaders of the conservative movement, the conservative commentariat, and the Republican Party to begin insisting again on standards of decency, rather than embracing double standards or the morally fraught resort to “whataboutism.”

Almost daily, leaders or pundits or activists, who formerly seemed to know better, now deflect criticism of misbehavior by Trump or his supporters by irrelevant comparisons – as if some earlier offenses by liberals excuse today’s transgressions by conservatives’ own side.

For example, it doesn’t matter if “our side” does bad stuff, because we can ask “what about” what the Left did at another point.

:thumbsup:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 06:24:38 pm »
*still waiting for the Special Pulpit Binding Version, of "Foundational Principles"

Why?   You've discarded them wholesale as losers and irrelevant. 

They have no meaning in your shared world with the left now.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 08:50:33 pm »
While I liked the beginning of the article, I didn't like the way he lurched left later on:

“What about Hillary” doesn’t excuse Trump’s habitual lying. (linking a WaPo article about Trump's misleading statements)

Whataboutism doesn’t ... excuse assertions that a white supremacist mob contains “some very fine people.”

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 11:30:57 pm by Machiavelli »