Author Topic: When a Stranger Decides to Destroy Your Life  (Read 1102 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
When a Stranger Decides to Destroy Your Life
« on: August 01, 2018, 04:10:29 pm »
The internet is getting nasty...

Monika Glennon has lived in Huntsville, Alabama, for the last 12 years. Other than a strong Polish accent, she fits a certain stereotype of the All-American life. She’s blonde. Her husband is a veteran Marine. Her two children, a boy and a girl, joined the military as adults. She sells houses—she’s a real estate agent at Re/Max—helping others realize their own American dream.
But in September 2015, she was suddenly plunged into an American nightmare. She got a call at 6 a.m. one morning from a colleague at Re/Max telling her something terrible had been posted about her on the Re/Max Facebook page. Glennon thought at first she meant that a client had left her a bad review, but it turned out to be much worse than that......

//snip//

....The story was re-posted on other sites, including one called BadBizReport.is where it has been viewed over 95,000 times. It quickly became the top search result for Glennon’s name on Google. Within a year, Glennon was experiencing the repercussions: Her number of listings dropped by half. She estimates that she’s lost $200,000 in business since 2015.....

//snip//

...Eventually, after $100,000 in attorney’s bills, Glennon was able to unmask the culprit. It turned out to be a complete stranger who had been offended by a comment Glennon had made about a news article on Facebook.....

https://gizmodo.com/when-a-stranger-decides-to-destroy-your-life-1827546385

Offline ABX

Re: When a Stranger Decides to Destroy Your Life
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 04:46:06 pm »
The bad part, if you search for this relator, this fake story about her is still all over the place on review sites. Example:
http://www.badbizreport.is/monika-scott-glennon-huntsville-alabama/

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 04:59:18 pm »
Deciding to destroy someone's life can have consequences.

You may very well encounter a drastic reaction.

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline ABX

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 05:00:54 pm »
Deciding to destroy someone's life can have consequences.

You may very well encounter a drastic reaction.

Doxxing and cyber bullying are illegal for a reason.

A photographer in Dallas was being harassed by clients who left fake reviews all over the web about her. She ended up winning a bit over $1Million from them.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 05:00:58 pm »
The bad part, if you search for this relator, this fake story about her is still all over the place on review sites. Example:
http://www.badbizreport.is/monika-scott-glennon-huntsville-alabama/
Apparently, badbizreport is overseas based on their "American lawyers make us laugh." statement in the article.  So they apparently will not be complying with the judges orders to remove the material from their site(s).  Google is just as evil in their foot dragging in removing the "indexing" to this poor woman's name.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 06:00:12 pm »
Glennon was able to unmask the culprit. It turned out to be a complete stranger who had been offended by a comment Glennon had made about a news article on Facebook.

Another reason not to use FB.  And, unfortunately, shows the need to mask your identity on line.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 06:04:53 pm »
Doxxing and cyber bullying are illegal for a reason.

A photographer in Dallas was being harassed by clients who left fake reviews all over the web about her. She ended up winning a bit over $1Million from them.

And she collected how much? And she collected how much net, after her legal costs?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 06:05:11 pm »
Another reason not to use FB.  And, unfortunately, shows the need to mask your identity on line.

Or use it to create a controlled public image. (ie be careful how you use it, think of it as creating a personal brand around yourself).

Offline ABX

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 06:05:53 pm »
And she collected how much? And she collected how much net, after her legal costs?

I think I recall it was about half after he lawyer's fees. There was a big article in a photography magazine about it.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 07:19:07 pm »
Or use it to create a controlled public image. (ie be careful how you use it, think of it as creating a personal brand around yourself).

What is your professional recommendation for this lady realtor?
--She held a state  license, with her name, number, employing broker, address, phone number fully public.
--Physical office location, phone no., email, website urls

--Now open house locations, times on the internet
--

--The physical safety of females showing properties, holding open houses etc. is a big issue today.

Realtors are highly vulnerable. 

Offline ABX

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 07:24:17 pm »
What is your professional recommendation for this lady realtor?
--She held a state  license, with her name, number, employing broker, address, phone number fully public.
--Physical office location, phone no., email, website urls

--Now open house locations, times on the internet
--

--The physical safety of females showing properties, holding open houses etc. is a big issue today.

Realtors are highly vulnerable.

I have no clue. I know there are reputation firms one can hire to help clean these things up but I doubt they are cheap.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 07:44:18 pm »
I have no clue. I know there are reputation firms one can hire to help clean these things up but I doubt they are cheap.
I failed to make myself clear. I mean guard against physical harm, too. Realtors almost by definition, but increasingly any professional too, is an open book.

Reputation is one thing, but personal safety is yet another.

Offline ABX

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 07:49:12 pm »
I failed to make myself clear. I mean guard against physical harm, too. Realtors almost by definition, but increasingly any professional too, is an open book.

Reputation is one thing, but personal safety is yet another.

That's a very good point, and frankly a good discussion for anyone in a similar field. We have an agent here who has been sponsoring concealed carry classes for other agents and those who support them for a few years after an agent up near Little Rock was kidnapped, raped, and killed when she went to what she thought was a home showing. With some people going completely nuts over things said on the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these internet attacks turn into physical ones.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 08:14:29 pm »
That's a very good point, and frankly a good discussion for anyone in a similar field. We have an agent here who has been sponsoring concealed carry classes for other agents and those who support them for a few years after an agent up near Little Rock was kidnapped, raped, and killed when she went to what she thought was a home showing. With some people going completely nuts over things said on the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these internet attacks turn into physical ones.

I've worked from the same office for 18 years. One of our "managing" brokers, is an ex-police officer.

Do not meet strangers, in strange places, alone. Use teams. Use buddy system. And use electronic sigs when they suffice.

Finally IF somebody works in an area where concealed carry is not easily legally obtained, carry the damn gun anyway. But know how and when to use it.

Realtors, loan agents, others. are highly public, therefore exposed too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 09:58:38 pm »
What's scary is the mentality behind it and how many are out there that would do this in a heartbeat to someone for simply disagreeing with them.

Worse, for taking out political enemies and squelching their speech. Even worse, organizing groups to lurk around the web into some kind of internet hunter/killer teams on a scorched earth mission.

And the internet gives them so much power to do this.
The Republic is lost.