Author Topic: Supreme Court upholds Trump travel ban  (Read 648 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Supreme Court upholds Trump travel ban
« on: July 26, 2018, 04:31:50 pm »
The Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that President Trump has the authority to ban travelers from certain majority-Muslim countries if he thinks it is necessary to protect the United States, a victory in what has been a priority since Trump’s first weeks in office and a major affirmation of presidential power.

The vote was 5 to 4, with conservatives in the majority and Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. finding that a string of unprecedented comments and warnings from Trump about Muslims did not erode the president’s vast powers to control entry into this country.

The ruling was one of a string of 5-to-4 decisions this term in which the justices on the right reasserted themselves, after the addition of Trump-nominated Justice Neil M. Gorsuch last year restored a conservative majority.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/supreme-court-upholds-trump-travel-ban/2018/06/26/b79cb09a-7943-11e8-80be-6d32e182a3bc_story.html?utm_term=.71d374153c67

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Supreme Court upholds Trump travel ban
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 04:33:51 pm »
Gorsuch has been such a great addition to the Court.  I think his presence has actually given courage to Roberts to become the Justice we thought he was when he was nominated.

Breyer and the three witches no longer control the Court, which is absolutely fabulous.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 04:34:44 pm »
Trump did not really need this verdict to protect the US.

He swore an oath to do it, regardless of whatever the judges say.  To do otherwise would make his actions unconstitutional.

I know there are several libs on this site that believe the Supreme Court decisions are tantamount to the laws of God, but patriots know better.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 05:01:57 pm »
It, the ruling, was the only logical outcome. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 05:30:51 pm »
Isn't this story literally a month old?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 05:35:41 pm »

June 26.   

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 05:37:35 pm »

How many Months have been wasted, hot air and venom spewed over this which was plainly 100pct legal from the start?

There was never any basis for any Court to block the ban to begin with.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 06:26:42 pm »

Didn't Trump's travel ban have a limit on it anyways?  If I recall, it was only for 90 days.  Seems to me that time passed awhile ago.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 07:40:35 pm »
Didn't Trump's travel ban have a limit on it anyways?  If I recall, it was only for 90 days.  Seems to me that time passed awhile ago.

I enjoyed the story so much I forgot the difference between June and July.  I don't know about the limit.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 10:03:50 pm »

Well no, because the lower court blocked it from implementation.  It never started.