Author Topic: Control Yourself, Mr. President — If You Can  (Read 4567 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Control Yourself, Mr. President — If You Can
« on: July 26, 2018, 03:20:05 pm »
Good article.  Balanced, and Goldberg makes some important points.

I’ve often wondered what it would take for die-hard supporters of President Trump to say, “That’s it, I’ve had enough” and abandon the man who they so admire.  And the fact is, I can’t think of anything.

And by “anything” I mean … ANYTHING!...

...While Democrats loathe this president, Republicans, despite (or maybe because of) the non-stop turmoil he’s created from the day he took office, adore him.  A new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll shows that 88 percent of Republicans “approve of the job Donald Trump is doing as president.”  (In total, 45 percent of voters approve of the president’s job while 52 percent disapprove.)...

...And this is where the bad news for Republicans comes in.  That same poll showed that the president’s job approval, while sky high among GOP voters, stands at only 40 percent among independents.  Fifty-eight 58 percent of independents disapprove of the job he’s doing, with 46 percent “strongly” disapproving....

...Yes, the president deserves a lot of credit for how well the economy is doing.  And a strong economy is critical for the chances of the GOP in November. But a president’s popularity is also important in midterm elections...

...Memo to POTUS:  Your base loves you.  They won’t leave you.  You can count on their support.  Stop going to rallies where they would coronate you if they could. Pay attention to those who aren’t crazy about you.  To those who voted for you two years ago but aren’t so sure anymore. You’ve done a lot to alienate them. It’s not too late to win them back....

https://bernardgoldberg.com/control-mr-president-can/ 

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Control Yourself, Mr. President — If You Can
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 03:33:24 pm »
Eff you Goldberg you whining fruit. You are as irrelevant to everyone's lives as a tree in the middle of Siberia.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 03:35:29 pm »
Eff you Goldberg you whining fruit. You are as irrelevant to everyone's lives as a tree in the middle of Siberia.

Did you read the article, Frank?  No whining in it.

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 03:39:20 pm »

He's peddling a patently false image of Trump supporters. Trump, the man, has few supporters while Trump, the iconoclast, has many.

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 03:43:27 pm »
True Devotion BoDeans

! No longer available
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 10:38:35 pm »
He's peddling a patently false image of Trump supporters. Trump, the man, has few supporters while Trump, the iconoclast, has many.

The hell he is.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 10:48:54 pm »
The hell he is.

Jesuits did a real number on you, too, huh?    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 11:17:54 pm »
Jesuits did a real number on you, too, huh?    :laugh:

They helped me develop a killer bull$hit detector.

Trump’s filled your brain with so much bovine scatalogy your eyes are deep brown.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 11:25:28 pm »

Trump is trying to do what he promised and largely successfully. If the GOP loses the house this year it will be because the GOP elite and their wounded pride couldn't get over the 2016 election they were so wrong about.

Yeah, Trump's a cad. But love him or hate him, it should be obvious to everyone by now that the State has decided they won't let an outsider abide in the white house, no matter who it is, even if his free and fair election was constitutionally sound, and are using extraconstitutional measures to run him out.

What is really ominous to me is so many who claim to be lovers of the Constitution, right here in fact, do not have a problem with how its currently being butchered in service of the State's self serving ends. Because they find him personally distasteful.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:28:56 pm by skeeter »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 11:28:56 pm »
They helped me develop a killer bull$hit detector.

Trump’s filled your brain with so much bovine scatalogy your eyes are deep brown.

Nope. Blue   ^-^

You may not approve of Pres. Trump's methods or manner.  That's your right.

Being self-employed my entire life, I'm more results oriented. 

Seems to me that China is the one that should be worried, not the USA. Nor its farmers.

He's righting thirty years of trade abuse.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 11:30:27 pm »
Trump is trying to do what he promised and largely successfully. If the GOP loses the house this year it will be because the GOP elite and their wounded pride couldn't get over the 2016 election they were so wrong about.

Yeah, Trump's a cad. But love him or hate him, it should be obvious to everyone by now that the State has decided they won't let an outsider abide in the white house, no matter who it is, even if his free and fair election was constitutionally sound, and are using extraconstitutional measures to run him out.

What is really ominous to me is so many who claim to be lovers of the Constitution, right here in fact, do not have a problem with how its currently being butchered in service of the State's self serving ends. Because they find him personally distasteful.

Absolutely, @skeeter !

Silver Pines

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 01:59:07 pm »
Good article.  Balanced, and Goldberg makes some important points.

I agree.  It might be a good idea for people to put aside their dismissal of anything besides 100% Trump flattery and give it a read.   

But this drives me nuts, and Goldberg should know better:

" Stop going to rallies where they would coronate you if they could."

Coronate is not a verb---it's CROWN, damn it.

Silver Pines

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 02:02:52 pm »

@skeeter

I find him personally distasteful, but at times I also find him funny, even when he's being a jerk.  I've defended him here on this forum against the left, even more so recently.

Still, constructive criticism should not be dismissed.  He's an employee, hired to do a job, so we shouldn't have a problem doing that.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 02:09:15 pm »
@skeeter

I find him personally distasteful, but at times I also find him funny, even when he's being a jerk.  I've defended him here on this forum against the left, even more so recently.

Still, constructive criticism should not be dismissed.  He's an employee, hired to do a job, so we shouldn't have a problem doing that.

I'd never dismiss constructive criticism from someone who's demonstrably impartial and open minded. Goldberg has never been a fan.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 02:12:27 pm »
I'd never dismiss constructive criticism from someone who's demonstrably impartial and open minded. Goldberg has never been a fan.

Do you disagree with anything he has said in this piece?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 02:16:14 pm »
Do you disagree with anything he has said in this piece?

Yeah I think its premised upon a media construct.

Everyone knew who Trump was when he was elected. Why does everyone act surprised now?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 02:30:36 pm »
Yeah I think its premised upon a media construct.

Everyone knew who Trump was when he was elected. Why does everyone act surprised now?

It's not a question of acting surprised.  He has impressed me in his heretofore unseen ability and willingness to learn and adapt.  Goldberg is simply pointing out that he needs to do this, and quickly, in order for the GOP to win the midterms.  It's really up to him. 

Silver Pines

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 02:34:56 pm »

@skeeter

There are a few who will never say anything positive about Trump, no matter what.  Jennifer Rubin, who's crazy, is one.  Rick Wilson is another...I used to like reading him, but he's tiresome now.  Also Bill Kristol, though I still like him.

Bernard Goldberg isn't on their level.  Here he defends Trump against the left and talks about Trump Derangement Syndrome:

https://bernardgoldberg.com/84916-2/

And here, too:

https://bernardgoldberg.com/85901-2/

Speaking positively about Trump's State of the Union:

https://newsok.com/article/5582417/bernard-goldberg-democrats-not-intentionally-for-trump-and-the-gop

Bernard Goldberg isn't one hundred percent complimentary of Trump all the time, but if he were, he'd be no more impartial than Rubin, Wilson, etc.  And just as dismissable.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 02:41:04 pm »
It's not a question of acting surprised.  He has impressed me in his heretofore unseen ability and willingness to learn and adapt.  Goldberg is simply pointing out that he needs to do this, and quickly, in order for the GOP to win the midterms.  It's really up to him.

Disagree. Goldberg's compliments are grudging and are damning with faint praise. His suggestions, which he makes in the final paragraph of his article, are so general as to be worthless and they are largely based upon a politically motivated media narrative.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:42:45 pm by skeeter »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 02:49:58 pm »
@skeeter

There are a few who will never say anything positive about Trump, no matter what.  Jennifer Rubin, who's crazy, is one.  Rick Wilson is another...I used to like reading him, but he's tiresome now.  Also Bill Kristol, though I still like him.

Bernard Goldberg isn't on their level.  Here he defends Trump against the left and talks about Trump Derangement Syndrome:

https://bernardgoldberg.com/84916-2/

And here, too:

https://bernardgoldberg.com/85901-2/

Speaking positively about Trump's State of the Union:

https://newsok.com/article/5582417/bernard-goldberg-democrats-not-intentionally-for-trump-and-the-gop

Bernard Goldberg isn't one hundred percent complimentary of Trump all the time, but if he were, he'd be no more impartial than Rubin, Wilson, etc.  And just as dismissable.

You're right about that, Catherine. I'm getting mixed up (happening alot lately). Bernard is not Jonah.

But my assessment of his article still stands.

Silver Pines

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 02:53:52 pm »
You're right about that, Catherine. I'm getting mixed up (happening alot lately). Bernard is not Jonah.

But my assessment of his article still stands.

@skeeter

It's politics these days---it's messing with all of us, lol.

Okay, but you're dismissing facts.  All of this circling of the tribal wagons is going to get us in trouble.

Ftr, Jonah Goldberg isn't a NT, either. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 02:58:19 pm »

No,  if the GOP loses the House it will be because the Dems and the media have managed to make the election a referendum on Trump and his foibles.   The GOP must counter and nationalize the election as a referendum on the economy and how a Dem Congress puts prosperity at risk. 

Goldberg's right - Trump does himself no favors playing exclusively to his base.   He needs to show independents that he has grown in the job and doesn't deserve an opposition Congress to restrain him.   I suspect that task may be impossible for him, but he sure as hell ought to listen to advice from the likes of Mr. Goldberg.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2018, 03:02:34 pm »

Some of us thought he would grow in the job.  He hasn't,  even as he's enacted some good policies that have encouraged prosperity.    Trump the man remains petty, egotistical, erratic, and vindictive.    I will certainly join my fellow Republicans in fighting to retain the GOP Congress.   But I am by no means committed to supporting Trump for re-election.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline skeeter

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2018, 03:14:04 pm »
No,  if the GOP loses the House it will be because the Dems and the media have managed to make the election a referendum on Trump and his foibles.   The GOP must counter and nationalize the election as a referendum on the economy and how a Dem Congress puts prosperity at risk. 

Goldberg's right - Trump does himself no favors playing exclusively to his base.   He needs to show independents that he has grown in the job and doesn't deserve an opposition Congress to restrain him.   I suspect that task may be impossible for him, but he sure as hell ought to listen to advice from the likes of Mr. Goldberg.   

So he should stop holding to rallies. Start "paying attention to his critics and try to convince them he's not the danger that Democrats say he is", stop tweeting. Stop defending himself, just allow the insane press coverage he's suffering go unanswered. Or worse, depend upon the GOP to defend him.

The actual results he's delivering don't matter.

What an effed up political environment we have today.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:19:03 pm by skeeter »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2018, 01:46:36 am »

I don't want the president to "control himself", if that means being other than who he is.

I want him to keep BEING "himself", as much or more than he's doing now.

I want him to TURN UP the heat and the pressure on the left and the media.

And I don't care if that galls any of you NT's reading this.