Author Topic: Woman impaled by wind-blown beach umbrella thanks rescuers  (Read 537 times)

rangerrebew

Woman impaled by wind-blown beach umbrella thanks rescuers
« on: July 26, 2018, 12:04:44 pm »
Woman impaled by wind-blown beach umbrella thanks rescuers

Published July 25, 2018
Associated Press

WILKES-BARRE, Pa. –  A Pennsylvania woman severely injured when a wind-blown beach umbrella gored her in the upper chest while she was on vacation in Maryland is thanking those who came to her aid and provided medical treatment.

Jill Mendygral's daughter tells the Wilkes-Barre (WILKS'-ba-ree) newspaper The Citizens' Voice she has undergone extensive surgery and is working to regain her strength.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/25/woman-impaled-by-wind-blown-beach-umbrella-thanks-rescuers.html

Offline Victoria33

Re: Woman impaled by wind-blown beach umbrella thanks rescuers
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 01:32:33 pm »
@rangerrebew

Bob is from Wilkes-Barre, Pa. We go there every year or two years.  It's not every day someone from Wilkes-Barre gets a beach umbrella embedded in her chest.  That is the strangest occurrence I think I have ever read.

I was an EMT, and you don't remove an object that enters the body - you leave it there if at all possible.  I made a call one day to a house in my subdivision - the woman was barefooted in her yard and stepped on a piece of wood about 14 inches long with a long nail upturned in it.  The nail was completely in her foot.  I did not remove it. I used bandage material to secure the nail so it wouldn't keep moving around in her foot. I took her vital signs, comforted her until the ambulance arrived to be taken to the hospital for removal of the nail. 

I was in charge of our front guard house into our subdivision.  I found out when the ambulance had to come in, sometimes they couldn't find the house with the injured/sick person.  I bought a radio, put it at the guard house, so they heard the calls for an ambulance, and I put a stack of maps of houses in there.  I told them to use the map, mark the house where they had to go and hand it to them when they came through the gate.  No more lost ambulances in our subdivision.  The guard house also called me, and I got to the house first, did my medical thing until the ambulance got there.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:33:09 pm by Victoria33 »