Author Topic: 10 dark horse candidates for Speaker of the House  (Read 827 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
10 dark horse candidates for Speaker of the House
« on: July 25, 2018, 01:46:44 pm »
10 dark horse candidates for Speaker of the House
By Scott Wong and Melanie Zanona - 07/25/18 06:00 AM EDT

What happens if neither Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) nor Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) can secure the 218 votes needed to become the next Speaker?

A small group of House Republicans has already begun meeting in the Capitol complex to discuss that scenario, some participants told The Hill. The GOP lawmakers, none of whom wanted to be identified, said the secretive talks have centered on who would be interested — and who would be a viable candidate — if both McCarthy and Scalise stumble.

“What happens if nobody can secure enough votes for Speaker?” said one of the participants. “It’s a legitimate question; it’s not about being disloyal to Kevin McCarthy.”

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/398701-10-dark-horse-candidates-for-speaker-of-the-house
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: 10 dark horse candidates for Speaker of the House
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 01:23:51 am »
I'd like to see Dave Brat of Virginia go for it.
(he's the guy who beat Eric Cantor)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 01:39:02 am »
I'm getting the list as mainly this... there might be some error in my transcribing this.

1. Kevin McCarthy
2. Steve Scalise
3. Patrick McHenry
4. Dennis Hastert
5. Mark Walker
6. Greg Walden
7. Kevin Brady
8. Mark Meadows
9. Rob Bishop
10. Cathy Morris Rodgers
11. Mia Love
12. Ana Wagner
13. Ted Yoho

So, actually more than 10, I really don't see how Mia is experienced enough to be in there, a number of these others I'm not familiar with.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:50:11 am by TomSea »

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 01:45:09 am »
   Anyone from the House Freedom Caucus would be fine in my book, including Brat. 

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 01:47:43 am »
   4. Dennis Hastert, isn't he in Jail?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 01:50:47 am »
Okay, struck out Hastert's name, I just went for the print article and tried to take the names out. He's mentioned in it certainly.

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 01:55:46 am »
   It's OK @TomSea I see he's out of Jail therefore moves up from possible to probable for Speakership.
   All the good money is on McCarthy, cause it's his turn.

Prison

Hastert did not appeal his conviction or sentence.[234] Shortly after being sentenced, Hastert paid the $250,000 fine[235] and was ordered to report to prison on June 22, 2016.[236] On that date, Hastert reported to the Federal Medical Center, Rochester in Minnesota to begin his prison term.[237]

In July 2017, after serving about 13 months of a 15-month sentence, Hastert was released from federal prison and returned to Chicago under "residential re-entry management" supervision.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 01:59:22 am »
10 dark horse candidates for Speaker of the House.

Only a horses ass would want the job.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 02:25:27 am »
   Anyone from the House Freedom Caucus would be fine in my book, including Brat.

@corbe

And let's not forget that it doesn't have to be a member of Congress who serves as the speaker.

Could you imagine Mark Levin as Speaker of the House?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 02:40:56 am »
   My Vote:  Allen West

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 02:48:32 am »
   My Vote:  Allen West

He'd have my vote in a heartbeat!
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 02:56:06 am »
   It's OK @TomSea I see he's out of Jail therefore moves up from possible to probable for Speakership.
   All the good money is on McCarthy, cause it's his turn.

Prison

Hastert did not appeal his conviction or sentence.[234] Shortly after being sentenced, Hastert paid the $250,000 fine[235] and was ordered to report to prison on June 22, 2016.[236] On that date, Hastert reported to the Federal Medical Center, Rochester in Minnesota to begin his prison term.[237]

In July 2017, after serving about 13 months of a 15-month sentence, Hastert was released from federal prison and returned to Chicago under "residential re-entry management" supervision.

@corbe  I always make sure I read all of your posts, no reason to ping me.  I'll see it.

Offline corbe

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 03:00:49 am »
   I just put you on my Buddy list @TomSea, I figured all you Trumpers hated me and had me on Ignore, the only other logical alternative was TBR was Shadow Banning me, shudder the thought!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 03:09:27 am »
Back to the realistic choices... that's not to say I don't think the others mentioned would be fine too, West, Levine, Brat....

Kevin McCarthy.....I'm not sure if Paul Ryan being positive about him is one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_McCarthy_%28California_politician%29
Reading the whole thing and a few other things, he seems okay.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 03:13:16 am by TomSea »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 03:12:52 am »
Most of the people on the MSM "list" for the next Speaker won't change a damn thing about how things operate in the House.

Bohner made sure the Freedom Caucus and true Conservatives got kicked out of any influential positions within the GOP leadership and replaced them with Moderate sycophants.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 03:21:50 am »
I think on-balance, the House has done a good job at passing legislation. It's clearly the Senate where things gets bogged down. I wouldn't look a gift-horse in the mouth.

Offline corbe

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 03:22:31 am »
   Ryan took a different approach, in the beginning, with the HFC.  Trying to squash the dissent his predecessor endured, giving them a few prominent Committee Assignments and more importantly FUNDS for re election in 2016.  It went South rather quickly.   Ryan couldn't blame Sen. Cruz, as Boehner did.   
   To think these 27-33 members of the US Congress is pretty much all that stands with us, is scary.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 03:31:30 am »
House votes down Obamacare numerous times, voted to defund Planned Parenthood.  Facts. Where did the Senate do these?  They didn't.