Author Topic: 2.5 Billion Pounds of Meat Piles Up in U.S. as Production Grows, Exports Slow  (Read 4180 times)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Which is why I forgive you darlin... But north is above the Mason Dixon Line.. Wouldn't want folks confusing me with a Yankee. Though I ain't a damn Yankee for sure, as I hear tell they're all down in Florida.

I have to drive about an hour and a half north to get to the South.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline roamer_1

I have to drive about an hour and a half north to get to the South.

Oh, so Dade County then....

Offline thackney

You mean I might be able to buy steak for under $8/lb?  Yeah that sucks.  /s

Yes, but only if your steak is made from pork or chicken.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Is that why the price of feed corn dropped by over 60% shortly after the ethanol mandate was originally established, or why I'm buying sweet corn at about half the price I did this time last year?

Seriously, I hate government mandated ethanol just about as much as anybody.  Almost as much as people repeating BS arguments against it.  There are plenty of REAL arguments against it -- we don't need to water them down with nonsense.

Sweet corn isn't feed corn.  Different crops with different markets.

Offline thackney

Is that why the price of feed corn dropped by over 60% shortly after the ethanol mandate was originally established,...

I am guessing you don't know when the mandate started.

The Energy Policy Act of 2005 mandated the first requirement that renewable fuels be mixed into America’s gasoline supply, and the 2007 Energy Independence and Security Act increased the quotas of the original mandate.

https://www.heritage.org/environment/report/the-ethanol-mandate-dont-mend-it-end-it

Offline thackney

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The Energy Policy Act of 2005 mandated the first requirement that renewable fuels be mixed into America’s gasoline supply, and the 2007 Energy Independence and Security Act increased the quotas of the original mandate.

https://www.heritage.org/environment/report/the-ethanol-mandate-dont-mend-it-end-it
George W Bush, the original bushwhacker when it comes to ethanol mandates.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I don't care who started it, it's wrong.  It's yet another government-induced market distortion with all sorts of unintended (and intended) negative economic effects.  It's real corporate welfare, not the tax incentives liberals love to whine about. 

I've had liberal friends ask me, "Hey, how about that ethanol?  Ain't it great we can have energy without drilling for oil?"  I always reply, "Sure, if you don't mind burning our food and driving the prices of it up for poor people."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Aren't these trade wars fun! /s
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline corbe

Trade Wars are easy ~ DJT
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This isn't really about trade wars (at least my objection isn't).  It's about forcing a commodity to be used in a fashion that is sub-optimal to the economy, then subsidizing it to prop up the price.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:18:55 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
This isn't really about trade wars (at least my objection isn't).  It's about forcing a commodity to be used in a fashion that is sub-optimal to the economy, then subsidizing it to prop up the price.

They come up with a great notion...force it on people and then scratch their heads in confusion when people don't buy it and they have to toss good money after bad to support a losing endeavor.

There is a law of intended consequences with using corn for fuel that goes beyond just steaks on the grill and the price we pay for them at the store that a lot of people don't seem to get.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Hoodat

We tax people who want to buy products from China and give the money to people who make products that China won't buy.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Oh, Cap'n' Redneck is back telling us what it's about, too bad, he doesn't quite go along with how the people in the most red part of the nation voted...

! No longer available

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Oh, Cap'n' Redneck is back telling us what it's about, too bad, he doesn't quite go along with how the people in the most red part of the nation voted...

Other than just trying to start a fight...what exactly does your comment or video have to do with the discussion at hand?

Offline GrouchoTex

"Oh, Cap'n' Redneck is back telling us what it's about, too bad, he doesn't quite go along with how the people in the most red part of the nation voted... "

Some of those people are farmers and ranchers, so......

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

You are correct.  My memory was in error.  I went back to the data, and it turns out that what I was referring to was not the first year of the mandate, but the several year period in the early 80's when ethanol usage went up about by about 40x and the price of corn dropped by around 60%.

However, I think my basic point still holds.  People state (as fact) that putting corn into our gas tanks causes the price of corn to rise, and therefore drives up the price of other foods.  That's a reasonable economic theory.  But, looking at the data, I don't see any compelling argument.  The price of corn is generally higher today than it was pre-mandate, but then it also jumped up a lot more in the early 70's, which probably had nothing to do with ethanol usage.  If ethanol is driving the price of corn higher, what then explains the 50% price drops from 1984-86 (I got a 70mpg moped in 84 and then my first 8mpg gas guzzler in 86?), 1996-1998 (I got a real job in 96, moved out of IA and started driving vehicles that didn't suck?), 2008-2009 (guessing housing bust, not my bad), and 2012-14 (no clue on this one, not even a smart ask quip)?

Could it be that corn prices are higher today due to ethanol usage?  Sure.  Could it be higher demand from China and India (etc)?  Yeah, that too.   Any of a million other factors?

I just don't see any compelling evidence that shows that increased use of corn for motor CAUSES increased costs for food.  Good theory, but that's it.

https://www.macrotrends.net/2532/corn-prices-historical-chart-data
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Eat your pudding.  Or you can't have your meat.  Or how did it go?  Think Pink
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline thackney

You are correct.  My memory was in error.  I went back to the data, and it turns out that what I was referring to was not the first year of the mandate, but the several year period in the early 80's when ethanol usage went up about by about 40x and the price of corn dropped by around 60%.

However, I think my basic point still holds.  People state (as fact) that putting corn into our gas tanks causes the price of corn to rise, and therefore drives up the price of other foods.  That's a reasonable economic theory.  But, looking at the data, I don't see any compelling argument.  The price of corn is generally higher today than it was pre-mandate, but then it also jumped up a lot more in the early 70's, which probably had nothing to do with ethanol usage.  If ethanol is driving the price of corn higher, what then explains the 50% price drops from 1984-86 (I got a 70mpg moped in 84 and then my first 8mpg gas guzzler in 86?), 1996-1998 (I got a real job in 96, moved out of IA and started driving vehicles that didn't suck?), 2008-2009 (guessing housing bust, not my bad), and 2012-14 (no clue on this one, not even a smart ask quip)?

Could it be that corn prices are higher today due to ethanol usage?  Sure.  Could it be higher demand from China and India (etc)?  Yeah, that too.   Any of a million other factors?

I just don't see any compelling evidence that shows that increased use of corn for motor CAUSES increased costs for food.  Good theory, but that's it.

https://www.macrotrends.net/2532/corn-prices-historical-chart-data

A lot more impacts than just ethanol.  Because of the amount we export, the value of the dollar also makes a big impact.

https://www.agriculture.com/markets/analysis/corn/why-todays-prices-arent-a-repeat-of_9-ar51783

Offline thackney

A lot more impacts than just ethanol.  Because of the amount we export, the value of the dollar also makes a big impact.

https://www.agriculture.com/markets/analysis/corn/why-todays-prices-arent-a-repeat-of_9-ar51783

For reference of the size of the ethanol impact on the corn market:

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/83512/fds-17e.pdf?v=42867

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Juncker is putting it all in his carry-on.  They're going to have a giant barbecue in Brussels.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.