Author Topic: 2.5 Billion Pounds of Meat Piles Up in U.S. as Production Grows, Exports Slow  (Read 4181 times)

Offline Suppressed

Those lands would do nothing but lie fallow otherwise. And no one else is going to use it. You and the bunny-huggers seem to be the only ones who have a problem with it.

You misspelled "conservatives".  You know, those who don't like handouts to businesses on the taxpayers' backs. 

Did you even read the paper I linked?

Hey, I got an idea, Howabout the feds give the land back to the states as the Constitution demands? Then Montana can deal with its open range as it sees fit. And you can stop thinking it is any of your business.

The feds have tried multiple times!  Recall that the states didn't want the expense when they could dump the costs federally.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline roamer_1

It gives that rancher an expensive lesson he should have learned in middle school: BUY LOW, SELL HIGH!

Right... and the tariff was predictable how? most of that beef has already been on the hoof for two years.

Just wait. this is good for you now, but wait till you see the price per pound once the system clears out. Ranchers will sit on their cattle, because they'll have to... They won't go to slaughter till the price comes up enough not to lose their azzez. Then we'll see how you like it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:52:03 am by roamer_1 »

Offline roamer_1

You misspelled "conservatives". 

Oh hell no, I didn't

You know, those who don't like handouts to businesses on the taxpayers' backs. 

You don't know what you're talking about.

Did you even read the paper I linked?

I don't have to. The BLM is a four letter word everywhere west of the Mississippi

The feds have tried multiple times!  Recall that the states didn't want the expense when they could dump the costs federally.

There is no try. Only do.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:55:39 am by roamer_1 »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Guess I need to invest some in Texas Roadhouse, ranked the #1 chain restaurant in the US.

Falling price of beef must make their margins terrific lately.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-20-best-chain-restaurants-in-america-2016-7#1-texas-roadhouse-20
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

Leased at far below the market rate.

When government owns 90% of the land, they are setting the market rate.

Yeah, for every dollar collected in fees, $2.50 is spent..
This goes to show that government is a disaster when it comes to business.  No different from Amtrak.  The government fails miserably every time when it comes to creating wealth.  We would all be better of if they simply gave the land away.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline cato potatoe

I don't think the Chinese people will miss our meat exports.  Their dogs may, however.

Offline roamer_1

When government owns 90% of the land, they are setting the market rate.
This goes to show that government is a disaster when it comes to business.  No different from Amtrak.  The government fails miserably every time when it comes to creating wealth.  We would all be better of if they simply gave the land away.

That's right.

Offline corbe

Terrible time to be a Vegan.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline roamer_1

Terrible time to be a Vegan.

I've got a hind quarter of an elk left, a deer, and about half a beef in the freezer... And about 40 lbs of beef burger... 20 lbs of bison burger, about 20 chickens, 20 lbs of processed chicken, about 10 grouse, 6 chinks, 10 ducks, a whole passel of ptarmigan and quail... I have no idea how many trout, salmon, perch, bass and pike... and that's without the canned meats...

I'll be alright for a bit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Must be the bird flu, porcine diarrhea and drop that drove meat prices up over the past few years have finally let up.

Feed corn got really expensive because so much is being turned into ethanol.  My wife watches the commodity markets, and she saw a huge balloon in corn prices coming a couple years ack, so we bought a larger freezer and a crap ton of beef.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Right... and the tariff was predictable how? most of that beef has already been on the hoof for two years.

Just wait. this is good for you now, but wait till you see the price per pound once the system clears out. Ranchers will sit on their cattle, because they'll have to... They won't go to slaughter till the price comes up enough not to lose their azzez. Then we'll see how you like it.
Actually, I just sent one to the butcher to take up some more freezer space.  That heifer never made it to the auction house.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline KittenClaws

• Normalcy Bias? I like to think I don't have it.
Feed corn got really expensive because so much is being turned into ethanol.  My wife watches the commodity markets, and she saw a huge balloon in corn prices coming a couple years ack, so we bought a larger freezer and a crap ton of beef.

LOL, we did that as well, then ate it all... :silly: :silly:

Offline RoosGirl

I've got a hind quarter of an elk left, a deer, and about half a beef in the freezer... And about 40 lbs of beef burger... 20 lbs of bison burger, about 20 chickens, 20 lbs of processed chicken, about 10 grouse, 6 chinks, 10 ducks, a whole passel of ptarmigan and quail... I have no idea how many trout, salmon, perch, bass and pike... and that's without the canned meats...

I'll be alright for a bit.

Ain't you supposed to throw them back in the river?   :nometalk:

Offline Frank Cannon

They can't swim that good. They ain't got the buoyancy.....or so I've been told.

Offline roamer_1

Actually, I just sent one to the butcher to take up some more freezer space.  That heifer never made it to the auction house.

Mine was put down a touch young... He come up lame, and by the time the doc was done, it was gonna cost too much to put him on all four for 4 more months... So we counted the grain fed stall time as finish and put him down.  :shrug:

And yeah, he never left the farm either. Can't afford the butcher anymore...

Offline roamer_1

LOL! Sorry... Chinese Pheasant... That's what they're called out here...  :shrug:

Offline RoosGirl

LOL! Sorry... Chinese Pheasant... That's what they're called out here...  :shrug:

Never heard em called Chinese Pheasant either, though I know that's their origin.  Just Pheasant.  Y'all northerners got weird accents *and* weird names for things.

Offline roamer_1

Never heard em called Chinese Pheasant either, though I know that's their origin.  Just Pheasant.  Y'all northerners got weird accents *and* weird names for things.

Did I ever tell you how the first Chinese Pheasant came to America?

Offline RoosGirl

Did I ever tell you how the first Chinese Pheasant came to America?

That sounds like a really interesting story!  I bet after you tell it you'd like me to tell you about the first pecan grove in Georgia.

Offline roamer_1

That sounds like a really interesting story!  I bet after you tell it you'd like me to tell you about the first pecan grove in Georgia.

Nah. I have no idea how the first Chinese Pheasant came to America.

Offline roamer_1

And as a point of order... Westerner. Ain't no north west of the Mississippi. It's all just West or Midwest... and Texas.

Offline RoosGirl

And as a point of order... Westerner. Ain't no north west of the Mississippi. It's all just West or Midwest... and Texas.

Do you know where I'm from?  People in the deep South are northerners compared to me.

Offline roamer_1

Do you know where I'm from?  People in the deep South are northerners compared to me.

Which is why I forgive you darlin... But north is above the Mason Dixon Line.. Wouldn't want folks confusing me with a Yankee. Though I ain't a damn Yankee for sure, as I hear tell they're all down in Florida.

Offline RoosGirl

Which is why I forgive you darlin... But north is above the Mason Dixon Line.. Wouldn't want folks confusing me with a Yankee. Though I ain't a damn Yankee for sure, as I hear tell they're all down in Florida.

Don't remind me.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Is that why the price of feed corn dropped by over 60% shortly after the ethanol mandate was originally established, or why I'm buying sweet corn at about half the price I did this time last year?

Seriously, I hate government mandated ethanol just about as much as anybody.  Almost as much as people repeating BS arguments against it.  There are plenty of REAL arguments against it -- we don't need to water them down with nonsense.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.