Author Topic: Doomed Missouri duck boat set out in near-hurricane winds: NTSB  (Read 883 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Doomed Missouri duck boat set out in near-hurricane winds: NTSB

By Paulina Dedaj | Fox News

The early investigation into what caused a tour boat in Missouri to capsize Thursday, killing 17, has found that the vessel set out despite winds approaching hurricane force, according to a National Transportation Safety Board official.

National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) Member Earl Weener spoke at a press conference Saturday evening about the details of the investigation so far, and the factors that may have contributed to the vessel turning over.

The most alarming information gather by the NTSB seems to relate to the weather conditions at the time of the accident.

Weener said that there were recorded anemometer readings of 73 mph. To put this in context, he said hurricane-force winds are thought to begin at about 75 mph. Based on recordings from witnesses, Weener also estimated that waves were around four feet, with a possibility of six foot crests.

more
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/21/doomed-missouri-duck-boat-set-out-in-near-hurricane-winds-ntsb.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: Doomed Missouri duck boat set out in near-hurricane winds: NTSB
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 06:52:51 pm »
So, are the owners of this franchise liable?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 07:12:07 pm »
Editor's note: An earlier version of this story said that the duck boat set out in near-hurricane winds. It has been updated to say the boat faced those conditions while already out on the lake.
The Republic is lost.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 07:29:06 pm »
Somebody's getting sued.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 07:32:44 pm »
Somebody's getting sued.
Like I said elsewhere, every sleazeball plaintiffs' attorney in St. Louis and Kansas City already has landed in Branson and is soliciting clients.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 08:16:28 pm »
My father, my two brothers and I once had four boats between us. Harbors, open ocean and lakes.

While we were not always perfect, kids would wear life jackets.

I remember once sailing in the harbor with my brother, and the winds came up in a storm without warning. We flew from one end to the other of the harbor, barely tied off om my mooring. Soaking wet. We later sat in a coffee show just grinning and laughing, at the thrill of it.   
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 09:12:08 pm »
My father, my two brothers and I once had four boats between us. Harbors, open ocean and lakes.

While we were not always perfect, kids would wear life jackets.

I remember once sailing in the harbor with my brother, and the winds came up in a storm without warning. We flew from one end to the other of the harbor, barely tied off om my mooring. Soaking wet. We later sat in a coffee show just grinning and laughing, at the thrill of it.
A friend an I ferried a 14 foot boat in onshore winds on the Potomac (9 miles wide there). It took three hours and a lot of bailing (the bilge pump could not keep up) to go 4 miles in six foot plus waves. Quite an experience, and one I would not want to repeat. We mainly kept bow-on to the waves, and let the longshore drift carry us toward where we wanted to go.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 09:21:32 pm »
So, are the owners of this franchise liable?

Is the Pope Catholic? 

The owner all but admitted liability. 

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 09:27:48 pm »
Is the Pope Catholic? 

Is that a trick question?

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 09:34:40 pm »
Is that a trick question?

Well, I'm not so sure, come to think of it. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:34:26 pm by Applewood »