Author Topic: Why is Mueller handing off key cases?  (Read 529 times)

Offline endicom

Why is Mueller handing off key cases?
« on: July 22, 2018, 03:16:28 pm »
Washington Examiner
Byron York
July 21, 2018

Something has been going on with Robert Mueller's investigation of people thought to have played significant roles in the Trump-Russia affair. The special counsel, assigned to investigate "any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Trump," has been farming out seemingly important parts of the investigation to offices outside his own.

In April, Mueller referred an investigation of close Trump associate Michael Cohen to federal prosecutors in New York. This month, the U.S. attorney in Washington — not Mueller — indicted Maria Butina on charges of being an unregistered Russian agent. And also this month, when Mueller charged 12 Russian intelligence officers with hacking Democratic Party and Clinton campaign offices, he immediately turned the case over to the Justice Department's National Security Division for prosecution.

Cohen is a key figure in theories of Trump-Russia collusion. In former British spy Christopher Steele's notorious dossier, Cohen was accused of holding secret talks with Russian officials in August 2016 to discuss "how deniable cash payments were to be made to hackers who had worked in Europe under Kremlin direction against the CLINTON campaign and various contingencies for covering up these operations and Moscow's secret liaison with the TRUMP team more generally."

More... https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/why-is-mueller-handing-off-key-cases

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why is Mueller handing off key cases? by Byron York
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 03:35:41 pm »
Why is Mueller handing off key cases?
by Byron York
 | July 21, 2018 11:37 PM

Something has been going on with Robert Mueller's investigation of people thought to have played significant roles in the Trump-Russia affair. The special counsel, assigned to investigate "any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Trump," has been farming out seemingly important parts of the investigation to offices outside his own.

In April, Mueller referred an investigation of close Trump associate Michael Cohen to federal prosecutors in New York. This month, the U.S. attorney in Washington — not Mueller — indicted Maria Butina on charges of being an unregistered Russian agent. And also this month, when Mueller charged 12 Russian intelligence officers with hacking Democratic Party and Clinton campaign offices, he immediately turned the case over to the Justice Department's National Security Division for prosecution.

Cohen is a key figure in theories of Trump-Russia collusion. In former British spy Christopher Steele's notorious dossier, Cohen was accused of holding secret talks with Russian officials in August 2016 to discuss "how deniable cash payments were to be made to hackers who had worked in Europe under Kremlin direction against the CLINTON campaign and various contingencies for covering up these operations and Moscow's secret liaison with the TRUMP team more generally."

If that's not collusion, nothing is. Such activities, if they occurred, would be at the center of Mueller's jurisdiction. And yet Mueller handed Cohen off to the Southern District of New York.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/why-is-mueller-handing-off-key-cases
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Why is Mueller handing off key cases? by Byron York
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 04:55:44 pm »
"I think Mueller doesn't have anything on collusion," said Former Prosecutor 2. "I think we would have seen it. I don't see anything that looks like there's a crime lurking — maybe he's got eight indictments under seal, but to me, it makes no sense. All of this says to me there is no there there."

You can't completely discount the possibility the prosecution is taking the indirect approach on a couple cases.  Manafort has the most direct tie to the campaign, given he was the manager and offered briefings to Deripaska through Kilimnik.  Cohen's involvement with the payoffs is campaign related, but outside the SC scope.  Butina is on the margins. 

The direct evidence of collusion may be difficult to make stick as an indictment, on its own.  So, you use the easier charges to prove against Manafort, Cohen, or Butina as leverage.  Their cooperation would be able to possibly corroborate other information that would make indictments more airtight.  Manafort seems to face the most legal jeopardy, but Cohen likely has the most damaging material.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline endicom

Re: Why is Mueller handing off key cases?
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 05:11:42 pm »
Topics merged.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 05:41:29 pm »

I do not think, Mueller is an "honest broker."

He is in league with democrats, media and weak Republicans that were deeply shocked that Trump won, and will continue doing whatever they can to damage him, derail his agenda, run out the clock.

Sessions huge disappointment. Gowdy quitting. Ryan quitting. Ass holes like Flake hanging around as long as possible.

Nunes, Jordan, Meadows, Gaetz maybe Goodlatte seem to be the only "good guys" in that stinkin place.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline darroll

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 06:06:48 pm »
Lawyers rule this country.
Outsiders be damned.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 11:34:51 pm »
Lawyers rule this country.
Outsiders be damned.

Yep!  Mr. Madison is rolling in his grave!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien