Author Topic: A 15-Year-Old Girl Died After Accidentally Eating a Chips Ahoy! Cookie with Peanuts  (Read 1067 times)

rangerrebew

A 15-Year-Old Girl Died After Accidentally Eating a Chips Ahoy! Cookie with Peanuts

Her parents say the packaging was to blame.
By Korin Miller   
Jul 18, 2018

A 15-year-old girl with a severe peanut allergy died after accidentally eating Chips Ahoy! cookies that contained peanut butter.
    Alexi Ryann Stafford of Weston, Florida, mistook the red Chips Ahoy! packaging as safe to eat, but did not see the Reese's peanut butter sticker on it.
    Alexi went into anaphylactic shock and died within an hour and a half of eating the cookie.

https://www.prevention.com/health/a22335126/teen-dies-peanut-allergy-chips-ahoy/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 04:56:00 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline dfwgator

If you have peanut allergies, you must assume everything has peanuts in it until proven otherwise.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The package had a
Reese's peanut butter sticker on it.

Oh well.   She choose poorly.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
And, in one of those unforeseen consequences, the cause of increasing numbers of peanut allergies appears to be parents avoiding exposing children to peanut butter in childhood.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
And, in one of those unforeseen consequences, the cause of increasing numbers of peanut allergies appears to be parents avoiding exposing children to peanut butter in childhood.

Astute observation.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

I should think the words PEANUT BUTTER in large letters on the front would have been a clue.  But I've noticed that just about everything I buy has allergen warnings, usually below the nutritional information on the back,  I would have thought the cookies would have had those allergen warnings on the back of the package too.  This girl should have been taught to look for those warnings before consuming.

But I'm sure if a lawsuit goes to trial on this tragedy, the mother will cry her crocodile tears and the jury will award the family buckets of money.  And you can be sure the cost of the cookies will go up as a result.

Offline thackney

...But I've noticed that just about everything I buy has allergen warnings...

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Applewood

@thackney

That is just too weird.  LOL

Offline roamer_1

I sure don't get that... Growing up, I don't remember a single dang kid with life-threatening allergies.... Hardly any with allergies *at all*...
Now they're everywhere. You can't hardly throw a party without somebody can't eat it...

Made a Kansas Dirt Cake for the 4th... Four kids there couldn't eat it due to flour allergies from the Oreo crust.

There's something damn wrong if you're body is kickin back flour or peanuts, I'll tell you what.

Silver Pines

@Sanguine

Why do they do that---because they're scared of peanuts in the first place?

I read somewhere that peanut allergies can sometimes be reversed by gradually introducing them into the diet, but I guess it would mean trips to the hospital in the meantime.

Offline Applewood

@Sanguine

Why do they do that---because they're scared of peanuts in the first place?

I read somewhere that peanut allergies can sometimes be reversed by gradually introducing them into the diet, but I guess it would mean trips to the hospital in the meantime.

One of my relatives was allergic to nuts as a child, but he outgrew the allergy, apparently.  As an adult, he no longer has an adverse reaction to nuts.

What really bugs me is that a lot of people claiming to have allergies are trying to deny the products containing these allergens to the rest of us.  For example, Southwest Airlines just announced it will no longer serve those tiny bags with 2 peanuts in them.  Instead, they will have pretzels.  I expect eventually those with alleged gluten intolerances will force the airline to do away with the pretzels too since they contain wheat.  Seems to me if you can't eat something, just don't eat it.  Don't deny it to someone else without those issues.

By the way, when I say "alleged allergies, " I am aware that there are people who are genuinely affected by certain things and can't have them.  But I also suspect there are some who aren't really allergic, but they have a mission in life to make life miserable for others.  I know some people claim they have an adverse reaction when someone a mile away eats peanuts.  I don't buy that.  Never heard of allergic reactions being contagious.  Maybe someone here with more medical knowledge can enlighten me.