Author Topic: Trump surprised at fierce criticism of Putin news conference  (Read 1997 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Washington (CNN) President Donald Trump was upbeat immediately after his news conference with Vladimir Putin in Helsinki, Finland, but by the time he returned stateside, his mood had soured considerably amid sustained fury at his extraordinary embrace of the Russian leader.

Now, his aides are wondering how he'll respond to anger from even his staunchest supporters after he sided with Putin over US intelligence agencies investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/17/politics/white-house-mood-donald-trump-vladimir-putin-news-conference/index.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: Trump surprised at fierce criticism of Putin news conference
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 02:44:06 pm »
He vented to aides traveling with him, including new communications chief Bill Shine and policy aide Stephen Miller. First lady Melania Trump was also aboard and was involved in some of the discussions, but not all of them, the people familiar with the matter said.

Shine may not last, but it won’t be for lack of work.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 03:30:11 pm »
What if it isn't your critics who are telling you that you are wrong, but all your fiercest supporters as well?

Put aside what all of President Trump’s critics are saying — of course they will go to DEFCON 1 after Trump’s comments at his joint press conference with Vladimir Putin. But when Laura Ingraham, Newt Gingrich, Brian Kilmeade, Matt Drudge, Brit Hume, Mark Corallo, Byron York, the NY Post editorial board, Michael Goodwin, Eli Lake, Doug Schoen, and Senators Tom Cotton and James Lankford think the president botched it... you can't plausibly argue that the criticism is the usual anti-Trump hysteria.

Offline bilo

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 03:42:49 pm »
What if it isn't your critics who are telling you that you are wrong, but all your fiercest supporters as well?

Put aside what all of President Trump’s critics are saying — of course they will go to DEFCON 1 after Trump’s comments at his joint press conference with Vladimir Putin. But when Laura Ingraham, Newt Gingrich, Brian Kilmeade, Matt Drudge, Brit Hume, Mark Corallo, Byron York, the NY Post editorial board, Michael Goodwin, Eli Lake, Doug Schoen, and Senators Tom Cotton and James Lankford think the president botched it... you can't plausibly argue that the criticism is the usual anti-Trump hysteria.

Sometimes the pundits want to fall in line with "group think" just so they will be in the smart set as well.

I watched the press conference and I trust my judgement. Trump did well. He was smart to avoid the reporters set up questions to put down Putin and Russia. Trump is trying to get them to cooperate on a range of issues not increase the animus between us and them.

It seems nobody in the "smart set" has considered what Putin would have to do if he was publicly humiliated by Trump. He would have to subvert our foreign policy goals even more to prove he is a "strong" man to his supporters and subordinates. Trump is trying to get him to do the opposite, no easy task.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 03:45:13 pm »
Sometimes the pundits want to fall in line with "group think" just so they will be in the smart set as well.

Remember this?

Gee, how does that happen?

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 03:47:00 pm »
He shouldn't be.   He should know them by now.

Offline ABX

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 03:51:51 pm »

I watched the press conference and I trust my judgement. Trump did well. He was smart to avoid the reporters set up questions to put down Putin and Russia. Trump is trying to get them to cooperate on a range of issues not increase the animus between us and them.

It seems nobody in the "smart set" has considered what Putin would have to do if he was publicly humiliated by Trump. He would have to subvert our foreign policy goals even more to prove he is a "strong" man to his supporters and subordinates. Trump is trying to get him to do the opposite, no easy task.

The one thing though is that many of the normally supportive pundits I mentioned didn't 'fall in line', they were leading the pack, writing headlines and tweeting while the press conference was going on. They didn't wait to see what was popular, their reaction was live and real time.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 03:58:35 pm »
Trump's pissed.  I guess it will be time for more tariffs.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 04:13:52 pm »
I suppose the inner circle of yes-men could not find any positive headlines.

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 04:17:57 pm »
Trump's pissed.  I guess it will be time for more tariffs.

Maybe get one of his lawyers to leak another stripper payment.

Offline ABX

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 04:24:58 pm »
Good news for Trump, his supporters are finally starting to find a voice to defend him.

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 04:26:11 pm »
Listen to him make it sound like he just stepped in and averted Cuban Missile Crisis II.    *****rollingeyes*****

https://mobile.twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1019129578936135681/video/1
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:26:58 pm by edpc »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 04:28:08 pm »
Good news for Trump, his supporters are finally starting to find a voice to defend him.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Trump called "traitor" by every Zionist Deep State traitor and the real commies in Media from the New York Times to CNN and even Fox News. The real meddling in every US Pres-election is the biggest Corp. Contributor Goldman Sachs & the Israel Foreign Lobby that rules Congress.</p>— David Duke (@DrDavidDuke) July 16, 2018

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah, and your respectable intel pals are finding a voice too.....

John O. Brennan
‏Verified account @JohnBrennan
Jul 16

Donald Trump’s press conference performance in Helsinki rises to & exceeds the threshold of “high crimes & misdemeanors.” It was nothing short of treasonous. Not only were Trump’s comments imbecilic, he is wholly in the pocket of Putin. Republican Patriots: Where are you???
33,579 replies 91,410 retweets 198,599 likes

Offline edpc

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 04:29:42 pm »

Duke better slow his roll.  This won’t make him very happy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1019137126749876224/video/1
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:30:25 pm by edpc »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 04:31:02 pm »

It already has been by the usual brigades of Trump sycophants that insist that Trump is playing 12th dimensional underwater chess that we mere mortals simply cannot comprehend.

Because as Frank says "Trump is God!"

All the criticism is just media-driven 'groupthink'.

Even though some of these supporters of Trump critical of what he said are writing their own essays and op-eds.

I guess it's feeding frenzy time as we get to watch the True Believers do to Laura Ingraham, Newt Gingrich, Brian Kilmeade, Matt Drudge, Brit Hume, Mark Corallo, Byron York, Michael Goodwin, Eli Lake, Doug Schoen, Tom Cotton and James Lankford what they have done to the rest of us Conservatives who dared to criticize their prince.

But we will see if the Republicans will circle the wagons around Trump like the Left does to protect their morons from scrutiny and criticism.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline edpc

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 04:34:08 pm »
President Beefheart is playing Trump Mask Replica for us and trying to convince us it’s genius, when we all know it’s a cacophonous mess.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:37:44 pm by edpc »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 04:35:17 pm »

But we will see if the Republicans will circle the wagons around Trump like the Left does to protect their morons from scrutiny and criticism.

Where is all this so called protection from scrutiny? The man is being investigate by a deep state hack. All of the MSM is openly hostile to him. What bothers you Always Haters is that his supporters do not give a shit what you and your other know it alls have to say on the subject. We find your beloved intelligence community corrupt. We find your DC stooges nothing but a bunch of dickless losers. We find your whole paradigm a fraud and a scam.

Offline bilo

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 04:37:48 pm »
The one thing though is that many of the normally supportive pundits I mentioned didn't 'fall in line', they were leading the pack, writing headlines and tweeting while the press conference was going on. They didn't wait to see what was popular, their reaction was live and real time.

I didn't know that, even more reason for me to ignore them in the future.

From my perspective Trump didn't need to be a "tough guy" with Putin. He's already proved that with the increased sanctions, arming Ukraine, pushing NATO nations to ramp up their defense spending and don't forget the annihilation of the Russian "mercenaries" in Syria.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 04:38:03 pm »
Reagan Flubs Reykjavik Summit

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/reagan-flubs-reykjavik-summit-118796/

Same as it ever was.

And the attacks didn't just come from the Left, a lot of Rightist hawks were appalled that Reagan would even meet Gorbachev in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:38:54 pm by dfwgator »

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 04:45:26 pm »
I didn't know that, even more reason for me to ignore them in the future.

From my perspective Trump didn't need to be a "tough guy" with Putin. He's already proved that with the increased sanctions, arming Ukraine, pushing NATO nations to ramp up their defense spending and don't forget the annihilation of the Russian "mercenaries" in Syria.

All the tough actions have been forgotten.

Trump is expected to address the Putin summit at 2 pm ET per Fox.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline bilo

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2018, 04:48:17 pm »
Where is all this so called protection from scrutiny? The man is being investigate by a deep state hack. All of the MSM is openly hostile to him. What bothers you Always Haters is that his supporters do not give a shit what you and your other know it alls have to say on the subject. We find your beloved intelligence community corrupt. We find your DC stooges nothing but a bunch of dickless losers. We find your whole paradigm a fraud and a scam.

I couldn't agree more.

Whether you like Trump, or not, looking at his first 1 1/2 yrs in office it's hard to see where he hasn't done, or tried to do, exactly what he said he would when he ran for office. My fear was he wouldn't. Recognizing that he is who he said he would be I was happy to admit I was wrong and become a supporter. It's a shame to see other people who didn't support him fail to recognize that he's really pretty good and is pushing for most of the things we want to see happen.

Offline bilo

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 04:49:53 pm »
All the tough actions have been forgotten.

I think this is a mistake, but I hope he does well.

Offline edpc

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 04:53:31 pm »

My guess - he’s going to tell us how much he supports the intel community, believes Russia involved themselves in the political process, and we didn’t actually hear what we heard yesterday.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:54:03 pm by edpc »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 04:58:33 pm »
It's funny that when Nixon visited China with the mass-murderer Mao, who actually was responsible for the deaths of US soldiers in Korea, the press, which was staunchly anti-Nixon, praised him for it.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2018, 05:03:20 pm »
It's funny that when Nixon visited China with the mass-murderer Mao, who actually was responsible for the deaths of US soldiers in Korea, the press, which was staunchly anti-Nixon, praised him for it.

Or how cool they thought Obama was when he donned shades & took in a baseball game with Fidel Castro's executioner brother Raul.

Par for the course.