Author Topic: Republican Writer[Jonah Goldberg]: “Honestly I Think You Can Support Abortion and Still be a Conserv  (Read 4450 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Republican Writer: “Honestly I Think You Can
Support Abortion and Still be a Conservative”

Micaiah Bilger, Steven Ertelt   Jul 13, 2018   

Goldberg is a senior editor at the National Review and a New York Times bestselling author. On Twitter Wednesday, he made the comment about fellow conservative journalist Tomi Lahren who has been openly critical of pro-lifers.

“Honestly, I think you can support abortion and still be a conservative. I just have a problem when you’re stupid about it or use left wing arguments for it — or both,” Goldberg wrote in the post, linking to one of Lahren’s recent comments.

Honestly, I think you can support abortion and still be a conservative. I just have a problem when you’re stupid about it or use left wing arguments for it — or both. https://t.co/tiJ32S3GEW

— Jonah Goldberg (@JonahNRO) July 12, 2018

Goldberg continued his thread to buttress his thesis that being a conservative is not about a single political issue:

You can be an atheist and be a conservative. You can be lots of things and be a conservative. You can also be **wrong** on almost any single issue and be a conservative. Because conservatism isn’t a single issue philosophy.

— Jonah Goldberg (@JonahNRO) July 13, 2018

I understand why pro-lifers (and I am essentially pro-life) feel the temptation to make this a definitional litmus test, but that’s a bad idea politically and flawed philosophically.

— Jonah Goldberg (@JonahNRO) July 13, 2018

more at:

http://www.lifenews.com/2018/07/13/republican-writer-honestly-i-think-you-can-support-abortion-and-still-be-a-conservative/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline RoosGirl

Well yeah, everything is just fine to support as long as you don't use left-wing logic for why you support it.  It's so great to find articles that support your point of view; in this case it really takes the sting out of murdering a kid.

Offline Frank Cannon

Anyone know any good places to get a decent abortion for not too much money?

Asking for a friend.

Offline RoosGirl

Anyone know any good places to get a decent abortion for not too much money?

Asking for a friend.

Do you think you could set her up on a date with Chris Brown?

Offline Frank Cannon

Do you think you could set her up on a date with Chris Brown?

I don't think so. I think she told me she was into the Klan.......or maybe she said she was into the Clash. Be honest with you I couldn't hear much with the stripper music being blasted.

Offline RoosGirl

I don't think so. I think she told me she was into the Klan.......or maybe she said she was into the Clash. Be honest with you I couldn't hear much with the stripper music being blasted.

Hmmm... I know a technique, but it involves chicken tongues and powdered raven toenails.  If you mail me $40 I'll send you the recipe.

Offline Frank Cannon

Hmmm... I know a technique, but it involves chicken tongues and powdered raven toenails.  If you mail me $40 I'll send you the recipe.

You da bomb baby. Do you take third party out of state checks?

Offline RoosGirl

You da bomb baby. Do you take third party out of state checks?

No, but a gift card for Dominoes Pizza would be okay.

Offline Frank Cannon

No, but a gift card for Dominoes Pizza would be okay.

Speaking of pizza, I called Papa John's today to place an order. They refused to sell me a black olive pizza.

Offline RoosGirl

Speaking of pizza, I called Papa John's today to place an order. They refused to sell me a black olive pizza.

You probably just didn't ask for it by the right name.

Offline Frank Cannon

You probably just didn't ask for it by the right name.

Oh yeah? I don't know any other names. Do you?

Offline RoosGirl

Oh yeah? I don't know any other names. Do you?

You'd have to ask someone from Kentucky I think.  I'm from the south and you know we have odd names for things.

Offline Frank Cannon

You'd have to ask someone from Kentucky I think.  I'm from the south and you know we have odd names for things.

What's your odd name for tomatoes?

Offline RoosGirl

What's your odd name for tomatoes?

Tomatoes, silly, but what does that have to do with the picture you posted?

Offline Frank Cannon

Tomatoes, silly, but what does that have to do with the picture you posted?

Those are tomatoes. What are tomatoes down there?

Offline montanajoe

Seems to me the time has long since past for the label  "conservative" be retired. I greatly resent asshats like this identifying themselves as conservative. When somebody asks I just say I believe in the values that represented this country in my youth... :shrug:   

Offline RoosGirl

Those are tomatoes. What are tomatoes down there?

Food. Typically used on BLT sandwiches.

Offline Frank Cannon

Yeah. We have those sandwiches up her. Butter, lettuce and tuna, but why would you put a whole tomato on one of those?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
We have a "life news forum" here. This should be over there.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:29:10 am by TomSea »

Silver Pines

Wow, @DCPatriot, you posted a Goldberg article!   :smokin:

Jonah is recognizing the fact that, regardless of our personal opinion on the issue, there are social conservatives and fiscal conservatives.  Ever heard of them?   Or did I just dream up the terms? 

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Wow, @DCPatriot, you posted a Goldberg article!   :smokin:

Jonah is recognizing the fact that, regardless of our personal opinion on the issue, there are social conservatives and fiscal conservatives.  Ever heard of them?   Or did I just dream up the terms?

That was my point in posting the article, but the resident thread crashers  deep-sixed it.

Yes, my dear.  I'm quite aware there are different kinds of people who claim the 'Conservative' mantel. :laugh: 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline the_doc

Well yeah, everything is just fine to support as long as you don't use left-wing logic for why you support it.  It's so great to find articles that support your point of view; in this case it really takes the sting out of murdering a kid.

Wow, and  :thumbsup:

Offline goodwithagun

I thought it was sammich? Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

Yeah. We have those sandwiches up her. Butter, lettuce and tuna, but why would you put a whole tomato on one of those?

The tomato cancels our the buttah?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online roamer_1

No, wait. Butter is incidental and always included. As everyone knows, the only and entire reason for bread is as a convenient way to deliver butter. Ergo, bread (ie: Sammich) always includes the butter, at the least on the bottom slice...