Author Topic: Why vaccine opponents think they know more than medical experts  (Read 939 times)

rangerrebew

Why vaccine opponents think they know more than medical experts
July 12, 2018 by Matthew Motta, Steven Sylvester And Timothy Callaghan, The Conversation

One of the most contentious areas of health policy over the past two decades has been the safety of vaccination. Vaccines prevent the outbreak of diseases that used to be widespread, like polio, and scientific consensus strongly supports their safety. Yet many Americans refuse or delay the vaccination of their children out of fear that it could lead to autism, even though scientific consensus refutes this claim.

Anti-vaccine attitudes have been fueled in large part by growing rates of autism diagnoses as well as a now debunked study in The Lancet that linked autism and the measles mumps rubella (MMR) vaccine – pushing many parents to see vaccination as a potential explanation for their child's autism diagnosis.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-07-vaccine-opponents-medical-experts.html

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Why vaccine opponents think they know more than medical experts
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 03:28:58 pm »
Parents grasping for straws in an attempt to assure themselves that they are not at fault.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 05:47:27 pm »
Parents grasping for straws in an attempt to assure themselves that they are not at fault.

There are two different families in our autism support group that had babies developing perfectly. Then they had their mmr. Both (about five years apart) were in the ER the night of the vaccine and their and their families lives will never be the same. It was the same pediatrician for each child, and the doc has done a 180 on his vaccine stance.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 06:00:13 pm »
There are two different families in our autism support group that had babies developing perfectly. Then they had their mmr. Both (about five years apart) were in the ER the night of the vaccine and their and their families lives will never be the same. It was the same pediatrician for each child, and the doc has done a 180 on his vaccine stance.

The science simply doesn't bear that out. 

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 07:39:51 pm »
The science simply doesn't bear that out.

Tell that to these folks. I’m sure they’ll be happy to know their kids aren’t autistic.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 08:43:06 pm »
Tell that to these folks. I’m sure they’ll be happy to know their kids aren’t autistic.

I didn't say they weren't autistic.  Where did you get that from?

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 09:02:45 pm »
I didn't say they weren't autistic.  Where did you get that from?

Quit being deliberately obtuse. It doesn’t suit you well.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 09:11:30 pm »

Quit being deliberately obtuse. It doesn’t suit you well.

Right back at you.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 09:38:44 pm »
  fueled in large part by growing rates of autism diagnoses

Lots of links in the article, I skimmed over it, but it does not address the main issue. Why is there more autism diagnoses lately? It could very well be linked to vaccinations or a number of other things (dope the parents took?).  Also the links they linked saying vacs were safe were from 2004 and the studies cited in it often were from the 1990s. Call me skeptic if you want, but surely they can do better than this.

The other elephant in the room is why do we need the shots, stop illegal immigration and the threat disappears.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:43:51 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 09:50:28 pm »
Lots of links in the article, I skimmed over it, but it does not address the main issue. Why is there more autism diagnoses lately? It could very well be linked to vaccinations or a number of other things (dope the parents took?).  Also the links they linked saying vacs were safe were from 2004 and the studies cited in it often were from the 1990s. Call me skeptic if you want, but surely they can do better than this.

The other elephant in the room is why do we need the shots, stop illegal immigration and the threat disappears.

The definition of autism has been expanded and is being diagnosed more commonly now.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 12:08:32 am »

Exactly. Claiming the science is settled is unscientific.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 12:11:37 am »
Exactly. Claiming the science is settled is unscientific.

That I can agree with.