Author Topic: Shooting Ourselves in the Foot  (Read 1457 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Shooting Ourselves in the Foot
« on: July 11, 2018, 04:01:53 am »
Shooting Ourselves in the Foot

By Walter E.Williams
July 11, 2018  5 min read

d Feedback
The Canadian government, lining the pockets of its dairy producers, imposes high tariffs on American dairy imports. That forces Canadians to pay higher prices for dairy products. For example, Canadians pay $5.24 for a 10.5-ounce block of cheddar. In Washington, D.C., that same amount of cheddar sells for $3.64. Canadians pay $3.99 for a 1-pound container of yogurt. In Washington, D.C., you can get nearly twice as much yogurt for a little over $4. It's clear that the Canadian government's tariffs screw its citizens by forcing them to pay higher prices for dairy products.

What should the U.S. response be to Canada's screwing its citizens? If you were in the Trump administration, you might propose imposing tariffs on soft wood products that Americans import from Canada — in other words, retaliate against Canada by screwing American citizens. Canadian lumber — such as that from pine, spruce and fir trees — is used in U.S. homebuilding. Guess what tariffs on Canadian lumber do to home prices. If you answered that they raise the cost and American homebuyers are forced to pay higher prices, go to the head of the class.

Excerpt: More at link https://www.creators.com/read/walter-williams/07/18/shooting-ourselves-in-the-foot
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Shooting Ourselves in the Foot
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 04:09:50 am »
For example, Canadians pay $5.24 for a 10.5-ounce block of cheddar. In Washington, D.C., that same amount of cheddar sells for $3.64.

Eh, not true. That block of US cheddar in Canada costs twice as much. The Canadian cheddar, not so much.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 02:31:10 pm »
For example, Canadians pay $5.24 for a 10.5-ounce block of cheddar. In Washington, D.C., that same amount of cheddar sells for $3.64.

Eh, not true. That block of US cheddar in Canada costs twice as much. The Canadian cheddar, not so much.

Yeah Frank!  Because of the tariffs American cheese is so expensive up there the Canucks buy their own for economic reasons.  Isn't that something?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 02:36:36 pm »
Yeah Frank!  Because of the tariffs American cheese is so expensive up there the Canucks buy their own for economic reasons.  Isn't that something?

And pay a consistently higher price because of it.  Getting the general population to subsidize a particular industry is foolish for a commodity.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/a-guide-to-understanding-the-dairy-dispute-between-the-us-andcanada/article34802291/

The World Trade Organization has ruled that the high prices paid to Canadian farmers are subsidies, making exports very difficult. For Canadian consumers, supply management also means consistently higher retail prices for dairy, chicken and eggs.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 02:53:55 pm »
And pay a consistently higher price because of it.  Getting the general population to subsidize a particular industry is foolish for a commodity.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/a-guide-to-understanding-the-dairy-dispute-between-the-us-andcanada/article34802291/

The World Trade Organization has ruled that the high prices paid to Canadian farmers are subsidies, making exports very difficult. For Canadian consumers, supply management also means consistently higher retail prices for dairy, chicken and eggs.

I'm not a fan of tariffs at all! Never have been!

The solution to all of this is getting rid of our Marxist income tax system and replacing it with what the founders universally endorsed!  Taxes on articles of consumption only at retail!

http://fairtax.org

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 02:54:39 pm »
 :hands:

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 03:07:00 pm »
I'm not a fan of tariffs at all! Never have been!

The solution to all of this is getting rid of our Marxist income tax system and replacing it with what the founders universally endorsed!  Taxes on articles of consumption only at retail!

http://fairtax.org

I thought the founders put tariffs in place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tariffs_in_United_States_history
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 03:10:00 pm »
I thought the founders put tariffs in place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tariffs_in_United_States_history

The did and they were probably necessary at that time to allow our fledgling country's economy time to develop.  it's fully developed now!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 03:11:07 pm »

The did and they were probably necessary at that time to allow our fledgling country's economy time to develop.  it's fully developed now!

So we were not developed in 1922?

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 03:12:31 pm »
None of this matter. Tariffs are a tax, nothing more, and saying that tariffs will make us richer is basically saying that taxation will make us richer. How is that a conservative argument?

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 03:15:48 pm »
Face it. Everyone else had a trade advantage over us. That is why they are screaming.
Countdown to Resignation

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 03:16:57 pm »
Face it. Everyone else had a trade advantage over us. That is why they are screaming.

If they're selling us cheap shit, then we're the ones benefiting.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 03:22:45 pm »
So we were not developed in 1922?

Protectionist tariffs are a tax on consumers Frank!  and the one's you mention her played a LARGE role in the lead up to 1929!

- J. R. R. Tolkien