Author Topic: LIVE THREAD>>>SCOTUS Announcement  (Read 23867 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: LIVE THREAD>>>SCOTUS Announcement
« Reply #450 on: July 10, 2018, 09:45:59 pm »
The real surprise is that you aren't.    *****rollingeyes*****

You are correct as you are, 9 times out of 10. Forgive me.  :patriot:
@Sanguine
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:25:17 pm by TomSea »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #451 on: July 10, 2018, 09:48:31 pm »
It really is PHUNNY watching some people hyperventilate over this choice!

It truly is!  And kind of sickening at the same time.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #452 on: July 10, 2018, 09:53:11 pm »
The hourly fox radio news reports has nothing but how the Democrats are hysterical about this appointee.  They aren't the only ones.

Really, everyone has their opinion, I respect that but we are trying to move this country forward. Some remarks are pathetic.

Online bilo

« Reply #453 on: July 10, 2018, 10:16:08 pm »
??? More PUB Senators?  What are you basing this on?  The GOP lost the past several special elections.  It's not like we have an overwhelming group of conservative Senators ready to fill the shoes of RINO's or DEMS  for the mid terms. 

IMHO reality is the GOP may not retain their slim majority, in fact I think it is likely that they won't. The time to try place a conservative constitutionalist on the bench is now and Trump failed bigly!

https://www.270towin.com/2018-senate-election/

There is a nice breakdown at the link.

The Pubs are going to gain seats in the Senate. It's just a question of how many.

The House is a different story.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online bilo

« Reply #454 on: July 10, 2018, 10:24:12 pm »
I'm disappointed @Emjay because quite a few were using the "principle" of strict constitutionalist judges as a smokescreen for conservative activist judges.

There will be no getting through their disappointment.

What may be lost in the smoke is a strict constructionist will be conservative. He just won't be making law out of thin air. For example if Roe V. Wade comes up it may be struck down, but then the issue of abortion will return to the states, or legislature, where it should have been resolved in the first place. I like our odds in this fight in a federal system.

Online bilo

« Reply #455 on: July 10, 2018, 10:30:00 pm »
I don't think it's just here @Emjay  I think there's a group of conservatives who have been waiting for the avenging activist judge to undo all the liberal damage in a single ruling.   :laugh:

I am only half kidding.

Hey, put me in that group. The Rats have used the courts to impose their tyranny on us for way too long! If there was 1 person you could put on the court that could undo all the crap I would be all for it.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #456 on: July 10, 2018, 10:30:50 pm »
https://www.270towin.com/2018-senate-election/

There is a nice breakdown at the link.

The Pubs are going to gain seats in the Senate. It's just a question of how many.

The House is a different story.

??  The DEMS only need 2 seats to take control.  I don't see that as an impossibility, but rather a probability.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #457 on: July 10, 2018, 10:34:17 pm »
He knows this, probably better than any one of us.  As Jay Sekulow said this morning about Kavanaugh:  "He understands the role of the judge". 

That might be comforting if Sekulow understood what 'investigation' meant.

! No longer available
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Oceander

« Reply #458 on: July 10, 2018, 10:37:11 pm »
??  The DEMS only need 2 seats to take control.  I don't see that as an impossibility, but rather a probability.

I believe the argument is based, in part, on the basis that the democrats are defending more doubtful seats this time than the republicans are. 

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #459 on: July 10, 2018, 10:37:28 pm »

Special elections are a very risky dataset to extrapolate general election results from due to low turnout and the ability to manipulate outcomes because of it.

The polls that most organizations are putting out are oversampling traditional Dem voting demographic groups that don't generally turnout in the percentages that are being polled. If those samplings are wrong, the GOP is going to win big.

The main thing is the GOP base needs to be energized and show up in high percentages. That is our quickest and best way to victory.
The Republic is lost.

Oceander

« Reply #460 on: July 10, 2018, 10:38:24 pm »
What may be lost in the smoke is a strict constructionist will be conservative. He just won't be making law out of thin air. For example if Roe V. Wade comes up it may be struck down, but then the issue of abortion will return to the states, or legislature, where it should have been resolved in the first place. I like our odds in this fight in a federal system.

I seriously doubt Roe will be stuck down.  Pinning one’s hopes on that is a recipe for disappointment. 

Online bilo

« Reply #461 on: July 10, 2018, 10:39:42 pm »

You really should look at the link I posted for you.

I see 6 states the Pubs have a good shot at picking up; FL., IN., MO., MT., ND., WV.

If things go really well they may pick up as many as 8 seats.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #462 on: July 10, 2018, 10:40:46 pm »

If you believe the polls, we're losing 2 red seats, tied in another red seat, and tied with Dems in four blue seats.  I woudl not be shocked if we lost - it really could go either way.

Online bilo

« Reply #463 on: July 10, 2018, 10:42:04 pm »
I seriously doubt Roe will be stuck down.  Pinning one’s hopes on that is a recipe for disappointment.

I was only using that as an example. Odds are what the court will do is allow states to restrict more and more aspects of it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #464 on: July 10, 2018, 10:45:28 pm »
If you believe the polls, we're losing 2 red seats, tied in another red seat, and tied with Dems in four blue seats.  I woudl not be shocked if we lost - it really could go either way.

No, I don't believe the polls.

Oceander

« Reply #465 on: July 10, 2018, 10:46:34 pm »
I was only using that as an example. Odds are what the court will do is allow states to restrict more and more aspects of it.

That’s entirely possible. 

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #466 on: July 10, 2018, 11:15:27 pm »

I have no idea what you are looking at but it ain't anything I'm looking at for sure.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Silver Pines

« Reply #467 on: July 11, 2018, 12:10:34 am »

Get you a man who looks at you the way Jerry, Jr. looks at Trump

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #468 on: July 11, 2018, 12:34:14 am »
You are correct as you are, 9 times out of 10. Forgive me.  :patriot:
@Sanguine

You're probably right, Tom, I shouldn't have replied in kind to your earlier comment.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #469 on: July 11, 2018, 12:43:16 am »
You really should look at the link I posted for you.

I see 6 states the Pubs have a good shot at picking up; FL., IN., MO., MT., ND., WV.

If things go really well they may pick up as many as 8 seats.

I did look at the link...it doesn't get much clearer .... DEMS need to 2 seats to take control.  Not really all that difficult.  FL is a good example; it is a 'toss up' state ... with Scott making a huge faux pas on the 2nd amendment it could very easily go DEM.

2018 Senate Election Interactive Map
35 U.S. Senate seats to be contested in 2018

The U.S. Senate has 51 Republicans and 49 Democrats (including two independents). The 2018 Senate election takes place on November 6, 2018. There are 35 seats up in 2018*, of which 26 are held by Democrats. That party will need to gain 2 seats to take control.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #470 on: July 11, 2018, 02:04:05 am »
I noticed that as well.  I find Cruz's change of heart troubling on this; especially since he's been so passionate in the past about ensuring and voicing that we need to have conservative justices on the SCOTUS.

Not very impressed.  I think I could have been wrong about Cruz. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #471 on: July 11, 2018, 02:06:35 am »
Not very impressed.  I think I could have been wrong about Cruz.

So now even Cruz isn’t pure enough for you?

:silly:

Online corbe

« Reply #472 on: July 11, 2018, 02:11:26 am »
   Cruz Kool Aid is not as readily available across this great Country of ours as that other 'Govt. Approved' flavor. 
   We're ramping up production in anticipation of 2020.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #473 on: July 11, 2018, 02:36:49 am »
Hey, put me in that group. The Rats have used the courts to impose their tyranny on us for way too long! If there was 1 person you could put on the court that could undo all the crap I would be all for it.

I appreciate your honesty @bilo   But let's get the terminology correct.  You want the court packed with politically conservative judicial activists.  This is not the same as wanting strict judicial constitutionalists.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #474 on: July 11, 2018, 02:43:55 am »

For the SC to allow this, wouldn't it have to change the existing federal law too?  How do you envision the SC accomplishing this @bilo ?