Author Topic: Mueller’s ‘Pit Bull’ Arranged Meeting With Reporters To Discuss Manafort Investigation  (Read 794 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Justice Department documents released on Friday confirm that the DOJ attorney known as Robert Mueller’s “pit bull” arranged a meeting with journalists in April 2017 to discuss an investigation into Paul Manafort.

The documents show that Andrew Weissmann arranged a meeting with DOJ and FBI officials and four Associated Press reporters on April 11, 2017, just over a month before Mueller was appointed special counsel.

Manafort’s lawyers ...The attorneys are pushing for a hearing into what they say are possible leaks of secret grand jury information, false information and potentially classified materials from the meeting.

“The meeting raises serious concerns about whether a violation of grand jury secrecy occurred,”... “Based on the FBI’s own notes of the meeting, it is beyond question that a hearing is warranted.”

Manafort’s attorneys have for months questioned whether Weissmann, the number two official on the Mueller team, leaked information about Manafort to The AP. ...

http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/08/mueller-manafort-journalist-leak/

Offline Frank Cannon

Weissmann is corrupt to the core. This doesn't surprise me at all.

Offline jpsb

Weissmann is corrupt to the core. This doesn't surprise me at all.

Imagine we had a real AG instead of the coward Sessions.

Offline Frank Cannon

Imagine we had a real AG instead of the coward Sessions.

We have an AG? I thought the slot was still open.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
And, another story on the same topic:

Details emerge on Justice Department meeting with reporters on Manafort

By JOSH GERSTEIN
07/08/2018 10:27 AM EDT
Updated 07/09/2018 09:04 AM EDT

Lawyers for former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort are crying foul over a meeting Justice Department prosecutors held with four Associated Press reporters last year as news organizations and the FBI bore down on the longtime lobbyist and political consultant.

Manafort’s defense has argued for months that the off-the-record session on April 11, 2017, was a potential conduit for improper leaks to the press about the probe that led to two criminal cases against the former Trump campaign chief.

Now, Manafort’s attorneys have fresh evidence they say bolsters their claims: two memos written by FBI agents who attended the meeting and documented their version of what transpired....

https://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2018/07/08/manafort-justice-department-reporters-701906

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Now there is even more stuff for the media to ignore.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
This Mueller debacle IS the insurance policy Peter Strozk took out!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
So Manafort is in solitary because of witness tampering, yet Mueller tampered with the secrecy of the grand jury and all is good.

Got it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
So Manafort is in solitary because of witness tampering, yet Mueller tampered with the secrecy of the grand jury and all is good.

Got it.

Excellent summary!  And OUR side is just sitting there watching it all happen!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

Got it.

Nothing in the article itself suggests a violation of grand jury secrecy.  The gist of the article is that, in exchange for a vague reassurance that they - the AP people - “understood” Manafort’s business dealings, the AP reporters appear to have given the FBI some useful leads.  As the article states, the flow mainly went the other way (ie from AP to FBI, not the other way around).

Most of which is irrelevant to why Manafort is sitting in prison: he attempted to tamper with witnesses.  That is a very serious allegation because the reliability of witnesses is one of the fundamental cornerstones of justice, without which a trial cannot be fair.  Grand jury secrecy not so much.