Author Topic: Mueller WILL NOT Present Collusion Evidence At Manafort Trial  (Read 4268 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Mueller WILL NOT Present Collusion Evidence At Manafort Trial
Daily Caller, Jul 7, 2018, Chuck Ross

Special counsel Robert Mueller said in a court filing Friday that his prosecutors will not present evidence regarding Trump campaign collusion with Russia at an upcoming trial for former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort.

“The government does not intend to present at trial evidence or argument concerning collusion with the Russian government,” reads a filing submitted by Mueller’s team in federal court in Virginia on Friday.

The filing sheds light on one of the largest questions looming over the Manafort case. Mueller’s prosecutors have indicted Manafort in federal court in Virginia and Washington, D.C., on a slew of charges related to his consulting work for former Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych. (RELATED: Manafort Lawyers Say Mueller Team Unable To Provide Evidence Of Collusion)

Manafort ended the work in 2014, and it has been unclear whether Mueller’s team planned to reveal evidence about President Donald Trump or the campaign.

More:  http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/07/mueller-manafort-collusion/

Re: Mueller WILL NOT Present Collusion Evidence At Manafort Trial
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 12:42:36 pm »
There was no collusion.  Yet Mueller continues this witch hunt unchecked and Manafort, not convicted of any crime, sits in a prison's solitary confinement cell.

Fundamental change did, indeed, come to America. 

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 12:49:33 pm »
There was no collusion.  Yet Mueller continues this witch hunt unchecked and Manafort, not convicted of any crime, sits in a prison's solitary confinement cell.

They could drop the case against Manafort, pretrial, and still have screwed over him in several ways. I don't think this is how it's supposed to work.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 12:51:21 pm »

They could drop the case against Manafort, pretrial, and still have screwed over him in several ways. I don't think this is how it's supposed to work.

I agree ... it's horrifying.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 01:25:04 pm »

They cannot kill the king, so they torture those allied to him. The message in political circles is clear; in the future don't even think of opposing us, because we will destroy you!

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 01:28:46 pm »

Fundamental change did, indeed, come to America. 

Manafort is in solitary because he’s a dirt little tax cheat who tried to tamper with witnesses. 

He is not some innocent being scapegoated as a way of getting g to Trump by proxy. 

Lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. 

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 01:33:07 pm »
Manafort is in solitary because he’s a dirt little tax cheat who tried to tamper with witnesses. 

He is not some innocent being scapegoated as a way of getting g to Trump by proxy.   Lie down with dogs, get up with fleas.

Lying down with dogs is not a crime.  Manafort is convicted of absolutely nothing.  Or didn't they cover this in law school?

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 01:37:21 pm »
Lying down with dogs is not a crime.  Manafort is convicted of absolutely nothing.  Or didn't they cover this in law school?

You really don’t know much of anything, do you?  The law gives a judge the power to deny a defendant bail under appropriate circumstances, and the existence of credible evidence indicating that a defendant has attempted to tamper with a witness, and will continue to do so, is one of those appropriate circumstances.  And solitary is one way of making sure that there can be no further attempts at communication with witnesses.  If the judge’s decision was too harsh, then I’m sure the court to which Manafort has appealed this decision will change it.  Otherwise, he has nobody but himself to blame for his current living conditions.

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 01:42:08 pm »
You really don’t know much of anything, do you? 

I know this ... when Avenetti's tax evasion case gets to court, I'll look for you.  Until then  .....

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 01:44:01 pm »
I know this ... when Avenetti's tax evasion case gets to court, I'll look for you.  Until then  .....

Thank you for proving - yet again - that you have no clue what you’re talking about. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 03:46:19 pm »
Why would he present evidence at trial for something not listed in the indictments?  Besides, the original scope of the investigation doesn't say 'collusion,' it says contacts with Russians by campaign members.  That will be covered in the report sent to Congress.  It's irrelevant to this jury.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 04:22:54 pm »
Why would he present evidence at trial for something not listed in the indictments?  Besides, the original scope of the investigation doesn't say 'collusion,' it says contacts with Russians by campaign members.  That will be covered in the report sent to Congress.  It's irrelevant to this jury.

But, "contacts with Russians by campaign members" is not illegal. 

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 04:36:26 pm »

So what?  Tax evasion is illegal, even for Trump minions, is it not?

Witness tampering is illegal, even for Trump minions, is it not?

Offline edpc

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 04:43:49 pm »

It can be.  The communications between Manafort and Kilimnik show he was willing to offer briefings to Deripaska.  Had they occurred, Manafort could have been facing more charges, depending on what he provided and/or received in return.

It’s a similar situation with the Trump Tower meeting, where Manafort was also in attendance.  There were expectations of receiving damaging material.  They were conned, instead.  Being a dupe isn’t against the law.  Obstructing an investigation and providing false statements is.  Prosecution of Manafort is leverage to see if he’ll give anything up about it.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 04:49:43 pm »
All pontificating aside this 'investigation' is political in nature, and being political relies on public support for fuel. Support which is eroding daily.

In the end millions will be spent for a few tax violation and false statement convictions. And Mueller's name will be synonymous with prosecutorial abuse.

I suspect the false statement ones will eventually be overturned. At least Flynn's will be.

As Crazy Uncle Joe would say, big effin deal.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 04:51:28 pm by skeeter »

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 04:51:17 pm »
All pontificating aside this 'investigation' is political in nature, and being political relies on public support for fuel. Support which is eroding daily.

In the end millions will be spent for a few tax violation and false statement convictions. And Mueller's name will be synonymous with prosecutorial abuse.

I suspect the false statement ones will eventually be overturned.

As Crazy Uncle Joe would say, big effin deal.

So why not let it burn down in that direction instead of continually trying to make it all about Trump?  Let Mueller have his fun with a shitty little tax cheat who tries to tamper with witnesses, and limit him to that?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 04:52:03 pm »
So why not let it burn down in that direction instead of continually trying to make it all about Trump?  Let Mueller have his fun with a shitty little tax cheat who tries to tamper with witnesses, and limit him to that?

Agree. I didn't write the article.

Offline edpc

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 04:59:00 pm »

Twenty years ago, Starr was being savaged by Carville and the Clinton war room as the bedroom police prosecutorial perv.  He received more heat and with media cooperation.  Nevertheless, he finished his report and Clinton was impeached.  BJ is still answering for his conduct today.  You rarely hear anything about Starr.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 05:07:05 pm »

It can be.  The communications between Manafort and Kilimnik show he was willing to offer briefings to Deripaska.  Had they occurred, Manafort could have been facing more charges, depending on what he provided and/or received in return.

It’s a similar situation with the Trump Tower meeting, where Manafort was also in attendance.  There were expectations of receiving damaging material.  They were conned, instead.  Being a dupe isn’t against the law.  Obstructing an investigation and providing false statements is.  Prosecution of Manafort is leverage to see if he’ll give anything up about it.

I just said "contacts" because that's what I meant.  You've added some conditions to my statement that I didn't.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 05:08:34 pm »
So what?  Tax evasion is illegal, even for Trump minions, is it not?

Witness tampering is illegal, even for Trump minions, is it not?

And, what has that got to do with what I said?  You seem to be determined to make your case, regardless of what I write.  It doesn't enhance your credibility.

Offline edpc

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 05:10:13 pm »
I just said "contacts" because that's what I meant.  You've added some conditions to my statement that I didn't.

Yes, I did, because the two biggest examples of 'contact' in this investigation weren't arranged to just say 'hello.'  It's a fairly important detail.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2018, 05:14:07 pm »

They put Wesley Snipes and Darryl Strawberry in Solitary?

I love how deranged you Jennifer Rubin/George Will types are now. Delightful to watch.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2018, 05:50:04 pm »

Twenty years ago, Starr was being savaged by Carville and the Clinton war room as the bedroom police prosecutorial perv.  He received more heat and with media cooperation.  Nevertheless, he finished his report and Clinton was impeached.  BJ is still answering for his conduct today.  You rarely hear anything about Starr.

Mueller had a record of malfeasance & overreach going in to this charade, Starr did not. While Starr's probe did indeed expand beyond its original charter, thats due to the nature of the IC law itself. My understanding is he was presented with evidence that led to the increased scope. Mueller clearly is fishing.

Starr ended up with tangible results with which he can at least validate the expansion. Not the mickey mouse crap Mueller is offering up.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 05:54:58 pm by skeeter »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2018, 05:56:36 pm »
Mueller had a record of malfeasance & overreach going in to this charade, Starr did not. While Starr's probe did indeed expand beyond its original charter, thats due to the nature of the IC law itself. My understanding is he was presented with evidence that led to the increased scope. Mueller clearly is fishing.

Starr ended up with tangible results with which he can at least validate the expansion. Not the mickey mouse crap Mueller is offering up.

That's how I see it.

Offline edpc

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2018, 06:04:04 pm »

After and because of that investigation, the IC rules were changed to the SC rules we currently have.  We have no idea of the totality of what the investigation has.  If truly wanted to fish and desired to expand the probe, he wouldn't have handed off the Cohen case to SDNY.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 06:04:38 pm by edpc »