Author Topic: U.S. orders non-emergency government personnel to leave Nicaragua  (Read 437 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

U.S. orders non-emergency government personnel to leave Nicaragua
CBS News, Jul 6, 2018

The U.S. government on Friday ordered non-emergency government personnel to leave Nicaragua and advised travelers to reconsider going to the country. A State Department travel advisory that was updated Friday said U.S. government personnel in the country must stay in their homes and "avoid unnecessary travel between sundown and sunrise."

Nicaragua has been rocked by protests and a violent crackdown by authorities since April, when demonstrations began demanding President Daniel Ortega's exit from office. Ortega's government has likened such demands to an attempted coup. A report last month from a team of independent investigators said at least 212 people have been killed in clashes.

Talks aimed at resolving the crisis have repeatedly broken down.

The U.S. State Department says heavily armed, government-controlled paramilitary forces operate in areas of the country including in its capital, Managua. "These groups are attacking blockades, kidnapping and detaining individuals, taking over privately owned land, and committing other crimes," says the travel advisory.

More:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nicaragua-us-advisory-today-non-emergency-government-personnel-to-leave-2018-07-06/

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: U.S. orders non-emergency government personnel to leave Nicaragua
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 07:50:21 pm »
You can almost hear it .. "Yes, I am non-emergency personnel!!"

Seriously, why is any American in Nicaragua?

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 08:03:51 pm »
You can almost hear it .. "Yes, I am non-emergency personnel!!"

Seriously, why is any American in Nicaragua?

Embassy and consulate personnel, to start with, along with their families.  They get assigned there by the State Department and don’t generally have a lot of say in the matter. 

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 08:09:25 pm »
Embassy and consulate personnel, to start with, along with their families.  They get assigned there by the State Department and don’t generally have a lot of say in the matter.

That explains State employees ... I sure hope we don't have vacationers there.   ^-^

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 08:23:32 pm »
Doesn't this automatically qualify every border-jumper claiming Nicaragua their country of origin?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 08:35:39 pm »
That explains State employees ... I sure hope we don't have vacationers there.   ^-^

We do.  This notice is standard State procedure for asking these folks to clear out now.  US Government employees are next.  They need to be there to facilitate the evacuation.  It's also State telling people if they don't leave, they'll be on their own.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 08:37:01 pm »
Doesn't this automatically qualify every border-jumper claiming Nicaragua their country of origin?

I don't think so.  It may have been when Obastard was in charge and any old excuse was good for border jumping, but I doubt it's the case now.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: