Author Topic: US Army quietly discharging immigrant recruits  (Read 1292 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
US Army quietly discharging immigrant recruits
« on: July 05, 2018, 10:58:10 pm »
US Army quietly discharging immigrant recruits
by Associated Press
 | July 05, 2018 06:48 PM

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Some immigrant U.S. Army reservists and recruits who enlisted in the military with a promised path to citizenship are being abruptly discharged, the Associated Press has learned.

The AP was unable to quantify how many men and women who enlisted through the special recruitment program have been booted from the Army, but immigration attorneys say they know of more than 40 who have been discharged or whose status has become questionable, jeopardizing their futures.

"It was my dream to serve in the military," said reservist Lucas Calixto, a Brazilian immigrant who filed a lawsuit against the Army last week. "Since this country has been so good to me, I thought it was the least I could do to give back to my adopted country and serve in the United States military."

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/us-army-quietly-discharging-immigrant-recruits
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: US Army quietly discharging immigrant recruits
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 12:23:24 am »
I'd like to know the rest of this story.

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 12:37:57 am »

My guess is that the rules/laws force them to paint with too broad a brush. Too fine a brush would be discriminatory.

Something like that.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 12:40:46 am »
40 have been booted, out of 10,000.

Boo friggen hoo.

HAving said this I fully realize that a single immigrant not getting everything they feel entitled to constitutes a holocaust in the eyes of the left.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 12:44:44 am »

As would I.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 12:48:18 am »

My guess is that the rules/laws force them to paint with too broad a brush. Too fine a brush would be discriminatory.

Something like that.

That or there is an entirely different reason(s) for these discharges. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 12:54:09 am »
Unknown number, quietly.....so as to reap CLICKSCLICKSCLICKSCLICKSCLICKSCLICKS

As in we need a story any story. Just get me  story, dammit.

True story. US Army early 70s. At the end of years of building up forces, drafting anybody possible.

The needs of the service reversed, to getting rid of problem people. I remember a guy that had been claiming acid flashbacks, in hopes of getting out. One day instructions came to send him home to the states, discharge him My boss, the battalion personnel officer, called him into his office. Told him to go pack up.

The guy was really astounded, his game was over. We got a great laugh, in the office.

Modified to opine:

My  guess is that all or most of these people, have "problems"
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 01:16:45 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 12:57:16 am »
40 are dismissed and it is a crisis? Sounds like some of these people were not what they appeared to be.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 02:46:28 am »
Some of the military members told the AP that they did not know why they were discharged. Others said they were told they were labeled a “security risk” because of relatives abroad or because their background checks were incomplete.

Immigrant military members can obtain citizenship if they receive an honorable discharge. The AP reported that basic training has been delayed for discharged immigrant soldiers, which means they can’t become naturalized citizens.

Recruits must have legal status in the U.S. before enlisting in the Army. About 10,000 immigrants are currently serving in the military, with most going to the Army, according to the outlet.

The reports comes amid a Trump administration crackdown on immigration, including a "zero tolerance" policy mandating that all immigrants caught entering the country illegally face prosecution.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/army/395718-army-discharging-some-immigrant-recruits-report

rangerrebew

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 10:31:53 am »
Part of the "rest of the story" would be why is this happening only in the Army?

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 11:41:08 am »
Reads like they are discharging BEFORE basic training because they van't complete it there are issues with the background check.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
AP NewsBreak: US Army Quietly Discharging Immigrant Recruits
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 12:39:57 pm »
SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Some immigrant U.S. Army reservists and recruits who enlisted in the military with a promised path to citizenship are being abruptly discharged, the Associated Press has learned.

The AP was unable to quantify how many men and women who enlisted through the special recruitment program have been booted from the Army, but immigration attorneys say they know of more than 40 who have been discharged or whose status has become questionable, jeopardizing their futures.

Some of the service members say they were not told why they were being discharged. Others who pressed for answers said the Army informed them they'd been labeled as security risks because they have relatives abroad or because the Defense Department had not completed background checks on them.

https://apnews.com/amp/38334c4d061e493fb108bd975b5a1a5d
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 12:44:40 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online mountaineer

Re: AP NewsBreak: US Army Quietly Discharging Immigrant Recruits
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 01:06:56 pm »
Here's a less biased and more factual take than the Associated Press':
Recruits in 'Bureaucratic Limbo' with Citizenship Program Suspended
 Military.com 15 Apr 2018
 By Richard Sisk

Army Spc. Charles Choi, 32, originally from South Korea, has a bachelor's degree and a master's in statistics from Cornell University. He has education and skills that make him a highly valued prospect for the military, but he hasn't made it to Basic Combat Training after signing up with the Army Reserve.

He has been waiting for two years.

Yes, I'm in limbo," Choi said in an interview with Military.com. "I'm still waiting for the security clearance to be completed."

Choi is one of several non-citizen enlistees who joined the military through the Military Accessions Vital To National Interest (MAVNI) program, and spoke with Military.com about how they've been stuck waiting months or years for clearances and security screenings to process.

The program, created to attract those with highly sought skills for military service, has been essentially suspended amid political battles over immigration policy. Of the estimated 10,400 troops who have signed up to serve through MAVNI since 2008, more than 1,000 now face uncertain futures.  ...
Read the entire article.

AP's hysteria eventually will backfire.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline endicom

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 01:19:11 pm »
Topics merged.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 03:31:49 pm »
Jack Posobiec 🇺🇸 ‏ Verified account @JackPosobiec Jul 7

40 foreign nationals failed background checks and the AP spun it as “Trump is purging immigrants from the military”
Guess what, if a foreign national fails a background check they aren’t eligible for military service.   That’s not a purge
That’s called national security 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 03:37:01 pm »
Press criticized  trump for lying, well the press lies too, far more often and for worse purposes.

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 03:38:05 pm »

Ok. That’s the “rest of the story” part I was looking for and, assuming it’s true, I agree that it’s a perfectly valid reason for the discharges and has nothing to do with Trump kicking immigrants out of the Army.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 03:54:56 pm »
Ok. That’s the “rest of the story” part I was looking for and, assuming it’s true, I agree that it’s a perfectly valid reason for the discharges and has nothing to do with Trump kicking immigrants out of the Army.

It's Posobiec, so you may not want to immediately buy into it completely.

Jack Posobiec 🇺🇸 ‏ Verified account @JackPosobiec Jul 7

40 foreign nationals failed background checks and the AP spun it as “Trump is purging immigrants from the military”
Guess what, if a foreign national fails a background check they aren’t eligible for military service.   That’s not a purge
That’s called national security 

If someone like Kushner repeatedly amends their submissions for background, they should fail the check.  Guess what, if someone doesn't pass that scrutiny, they shouldn't be eligible for service in the White House.  That's not a waiver.  That's called blatant nepotism.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:57:38 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.