Author Topic: Merkel says she's open to reducing EU tariffs on US car imports  (Read 391 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Merkel says she's open to reducing EU tariffs on US car imports
The Hill, Jul 5, 2018, Brett Samuels

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Thursday she would support lowering tariffs on U.S. car imports amid an escalating trade dispute between President Trump and the European Union.

Reuters reported that Merkel said tariff negotiations are ongoing, and that any changes would require full European support. “I would be ready to support negotiations on reducing tariffs, but we would not be able to do this only with the U.S.,” Merkel said.

The German chancellor noted that World Trade Organization rules require that if the EU reduced tariffs on U.S. car imports, it would need to implement similar reductions for other countries.

Merkel’s openness to renegotiated tariffs come as Trump has implemented steep levies on imports from China, Canada, Mexico and the EU, sparking concerns of a looming global trade war.

After laying out an initial round of steel and aluminum tariffs, Trump threatened to place a 20 percent tax on all European cars entering the United States.

Trump said in a Fox News interview that aired Sunday that he views car tariffs as potentially his biggest source of leverage in trade negotiations.

More:  http://thehill.com/policy/international/395591-merkel-says-shes-open-to-reducing-eu-tariffs-on-us-car-imports

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Re: Merkel says she's open to reducing EU tariffs on US car imports
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 10:23:17 pm »
BWAHAHAHA!

After how many hair tearing "I Told You So" scream fests from NTers citing Forbes dogma written for the "Keep It Simple So I Can Understand It, Give Me A Slogan." Investors?

Oh Noes! Tariffs! We're All Gonna Die Horrible Deaths!

88devil

You'll get farther with a big stick and a kind word than you will with just a kind word.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:24:25 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 10:58:42 pm »
BWAHAHAHA!

After how many hair tearing "I Told You So" scream fests from NTers citing Forbes dogma written for the "Keep It Simple So I Can Understand It, Give Me A Slogan." Investors?

Oh Noes! Tariffs! We're All Gonna Die Horrible Deaths!

88devil

You'll get farther with a big stick and a kind word than you will with just a kind word.

Merkel is in continuing trouble, and risks nations going on their own.

Once upon a time when it began the EU "added value," did good things.

Today it does little or none of the above.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 12:40:31 am »
Too late, Angela.

The EU has screwed us for hundreds of millions of tariffs, not to mention the loss of industry and jobs in this country as we could not sell our product there.

You now need to feel the pain we have been working under caused by you and your ilk.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington