Author Topic: Scientists in Gabon discover orange, cave-dwelling crocodiles  (Read 850 times)

Offline corbe

Scientists in Gabon discover orange, cave-dwelling crocodiles

Life
Thursday 28 June 2018 - 1:20pm

This photograph taken on 11 August 2010, shows an orange cave crocodile captured in a cave in Abanda in the Ogooue-Maritime, in the south-west of Gabon. Photo: Olivier TESTA / AFP

LIBREVILLE - The West African state of Gabon is famous for its biodiversity but in a galaxy of spectacular finds, one stands out: orange crocodiles.

Scientists looking for traces of ancient human life stumbled upon the unusual reptiles decade ago as they searched in the gloom of isolated caves in Gabon's southern Omboue region.

"When I approached with the torch in the cave, I saw red eyes... crocodiles!", said geo-archaeologist Richard Oslisly. It was only two years later when they hauled one out into the light that they realised it was orange.

"At first we thought the colour came from their food because we saw that these reptiles ate orange bats," said Oslisly.

The scientists discarded other theories before speculating that lack of light in the Abanda caves may have caused depigmentation and urea in bat droppings may then have induced an orange hue.

<..snip..>

http://www.enca.com/life/scientists-in-gabon-discover-orange-cave-dwelling-crocodiles
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Scientists in Gabon discover orange, cave-dwelling crocodiles
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 09:51:26 pm »
Scientists in Gabon discover orange, cave-dwelling crocodiles

Orange?  Where's his MAGA cap?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Scientists in Gabon discover orange, cave-dwelling crocodiles
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 01:44:26 am »
If you're face-to-face that close with a croc, it's the teeth that matter most -- not the color!