Author Topic: Psychiatrists ask APA to change rule prohibiting analysis of public figures  (Read 1136 times)

Online corbe

Psychiatrists ask APA to change rule prohibiting analysis of public figures

By Nathaniel Weixel - 06/28/18 02:01 PM EDT

A group of prominent psychiatrists are calling on the American Psychiatric Association to change a controversial rule that prohibits members from speculating about the mental state of public figures.

In a letter sent to the APA Thursday, the psychiatrists said that the so-called “Goldwater Rule” can put the public in danger by denying trained professionals from addressing mental health issues demonstrated by public figures, such as an elected official.

During the presidential election in 2016, when discussion of then-candidate Donald Trump's mental status became widespread, the APA reminded members of the rule governing ethics in the profession.

"The unique atmosphere of this year’s election cycle may lead some to want to psychoanalyze the candidates, but to do so would not only be unethical, it would be irresponsible," then-APA President Maria Oquendo said at the time.

Now some psychiatrists are asking for a formal change.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/mental-health/394660-prominent-psychiatrists-call-for-ending-of-rule-prohibiting
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Victoria33

A group of 27 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts did write a book and said they disregarded the ethics rule due to their concern about the country; their commitment to the country overruled the ethics rule.  Book is, "The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump".

Offline Right_in_Virginia

A group of 27 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts did write a book and said they disregarded the ethics rule due to their concern about the country; their commitment to the country overruled the ethics rule.  Book is, "The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump".

Who'd they vote for?

Offline skeeter

Who'd they vote for?

And if Wm Shirer were still alive I fully expect he'd be asked to weigh in with his analysis of the similarities between Trump and that austrian paper hanging sunufabitch.

Offline aligncare

By Nathaniel Weixel - 06/28/18 02:01 PM EDT

A group of prominent psychiatrists are calling on the American Psychiatric Association to change a controversial rule that prohibits members from speculating about the mental state of public figures.

In a letter sent to the APA Thursday, the psychiatrists said that the so-called “Goldwater Rule” can put the public in danger by denying trained professionals from addressing mental health issues demonstrated by public figures, such as an elected official.

During the presidential election in 2016, when discussion of then-candidate Donald Trump's mental status became widespread, the APA reminded members of the rule governing ethics in the profession.

"The unique atmosphere of this year’s election cycle may lead some to want to psychoanalyze the candidates, but to do so would not only be unethical, it would be irresponsible," then-APA President Maria Oquendo said at the time.

Now some psychiatrists are asking for a formal change.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/mental-health/394660-prominent-psychiatrists-call-for-ending-of-rule-prohibiting

I wonder what would happen if government psychiatrist took this up. Shudder.

Be careful what you ask for. You just might get it.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
In other medical fields, it would be a violation of ethical standards to make this diagnosis without physical analysis, but also reveal diagnosis to the public.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
As of 2014: An estimated 106,500 psychologists possess current licenses in the United States.1

Just taking the 2014 number and not accounting for increases, a whopping 27, and not all of the Psychologists, are asking for this rule to be changed? An impressive number making the request less than 0.03% expect a rule to be changed because well, Trump.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Talk about unethical!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

I would rather have a survey of businessowners, builders, developers, real estate investors.

The places to find a room full of crazy people, is a convention of psychists and psychologists.

Not to mention lawyers, government employees, bureaucrats
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline thackney

Talk about unethical!

Talk about a target rich environment:

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline RoosGirl

Talk about a target rich environment:

Yeah, but they wouldn't be the targets.  You'd think these guys could find some way to be less transparent about why they want to do this.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Uhhhh, yes?

Considering Where Psychiatry's opinion dispensing non-science Comes From, . . . . damn right we don't want these quacks being given any more of the political limelight no matter Who they're opining on.

Is Freud Really Dead?

http://psychroaches.blogspot.com/2011/08/is-freud-really-dead.html

Cheerful Assassin Defies Analysis

3 March 1995
Frederick Crews

When Frederick Crews attacked Freud in an article 14 months ago, he outraged many psychoanalysts. It was, he argues here, a fury from a profession aware of its accelerating collapse

In its issue of November 18, 1993, the New York Review of Books published an essay-review of mine, "The Unknown Freud", to which the adjective "controversial" hardly seems adequate. The article attracted, and continues to attract, more attention than all of my previous writings combined, dating back to my fledgling literary critical efforts in 1957. For several ensuing months, an unprecedented number of protesting letters to the editor poured in, mostly from psychoanalysts outraged by the indignities I had heaped on their honourable profession and its founder. Two rounds of published exchanges, the first of which alone consumed more ink than the New York Review had ever devoted to the aftermath of an article, left the overwhelming majority of complainants fuming on the sidelines.

As several correspondents remarked in injured tones, the main burden of "The Unknown Freud" could have been predicted from several earlier essays of mine. Since the appearance of "Analysis Terminable" in 1980, I had repeatedly made the same two-pronged argument: that Freud's scientific and ethical standards were abysmally low and that his brainchild was, and still is, a pseudoscience. But why, then, had this recent essay proved so upsetting?
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Psychiatry is just pseudoscience career.  Snake oil graduates and phony baloney "docs" with prescription pads to over medicate.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
It seems to me that if a Psychiatrist makes a medical diagnosis public for any patient or non-patient, they are in direct violation of HIPPA and need to lose their license, be prosecuted and have to pay restitution to the victim.

--
HIPPA Penalties:
https://kb.iu.edu/d/ayzf

Offline Suppressed

As of 2014: An estimated 106,500 psychologists possess current licenses in the United States.1

Just taking the 2014 number and not accounting for increases, a whopping 27, and not all of the Psychologists, are asking for this rule to be changed? An impressive number making the request less than 0.03% expect a rule to be changed because well, Trump.

Psychiatrists, not psychologists.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It seems to me that if a Psychiatrist makes a medical diagnosis public for any patient or non-patient, they are in direct violation of HIPPA and need to lose their license, be prosecuted and have to pay restitution to the victim.

--
HIPPA Penalties:
https://kb.iu.edu/d/ayzf

That's assuming they have a professional relationship with a patient.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Psychiatrists, not psychologists.
Same fruit different flavor, it's just that one can prescribe the wacky pills will the other just takes them. My wife has both as clients and the general rule is both are just plain nuts.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Same fruit different flavor, it's just that one can prescribe the wacky pills will the other just takes them. My wife has both as clients and the general rule is both are just plain nuts.

Best shrink story I've heard.

Woman who worked in the mental health field (licensed, but I don't recall as what) was ordered by her superiors to undergo a Psychiatric evaluation.

She showed up, sat down, fished a cookbook out of her bag and set to reading the Shrink recipes.

Shrink squawked that she was blocking him, defeating the purpose of her evaluation.

"Damn Right." she told him. "I know who you are and what you do, and if you think I'm going to tell you anything about myself and have you use it against me, You're the one who is nuts."

Then she went back to reading him recipes.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com