Author Topic: Justice Kennedy Retiring!  (Read 23022 times)

Offline mountaineer

Re: Justice Kennedy Retiring!
« Reply #275 on: June 28, 2018, 05:46:04 pm »
Americans who happen to be homosexual.  *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #276 on: June 28, 2018, 05:48:33 pm »
I know you are referring to Kennedy's rulings regarding Americans who happen to be homosexual.  I disagree that he had anything at all in common, as a matter of judicial philosophy, with the Wise Latina.   As I see it, he had the wisdom to apply the Constitution's protections in the context of changed circumstances.   The Constitution's guarantee of the law's equal protection applies to us all.

The Constitution says what it says and not what you, Justice Kennedy, or anyone else thinks or wishes it to say.  Changed circumstances have not a damned thing to do with it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #277 on: June 28, 2018, 05:50:13 pm »
Clarence Thomas has been a great justice.  I admire him so much. 

But, hey, there is a reason for stereotyping ...it's usually true.

But why do you stereotype with respect to Amul Thapar, a superior judge by most conservatives' reckoning, just because he happens to be of Indian descent?   

How much better off we'd all be if we took Martin Luther King's admonition to heart, rather than paying it lip service.  Judge the man by the content of his character, not his ethnicity or membership in an arbitrary "identity" group.

But I will throw this out - Asian Americans are the biggest victims of the left's prejudices.   They keep their families intact, work hard, emphasize achievement and personal responsibility,  and ace most college aptitude tests.   And the left insists on denigrating their chances to get into the best schools because they're not the right sort of minority. 

I'd love to see that sort of "minority" perspective on the Court.       
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #278 on: June 28, 2018, 05:51:26 pm »
Americans who happen to be homosexual.  *****rollingeyes*****

Have they lost their status as Americans in your view?  Are they not entitled to the law's equal protection in your view?   

Online Hoodat

« Reply #279 on: June 28, 2018, 05:52:33 pm »
I know you are referring to Kennedy's rulings regarding Americans who happen to be homosexual.  I disagree that he had anything at all in common, as a matter of judicial philosophy, with the Wise Latina.   As I see it, he had the wisdom to apply the Constitution's protections in the context of changed circumstances.   The Constitution's guarantee of the law's equal protection applies to us all.

Short of an act of Congress, there is NOTHING in the Constitution that prohibits a State from formulating its own laws in regard to marriage, or for that matter, abortion.  Nothing.  Zip.  Nada.

As for Equal Protection, it died the moment that one class was given special status over another at the expense of other classes.  But then such are the pitfalls of judicial tyranny when the Constitution is ignored.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #280 on: June 28, 2018, 05:53:54 pm »
The Constitution says what it says and not what you, Justice Kennedy, or anyone else thinks or wishes it to say.  Changed circumstances have not a damned thing to do with it.

And what it says is that all Americans are entitled to the law's equal protections.  No exceptions.  Period.   
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 05:54:49 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #281 on: June 28, 2018, 05:56:56 pm »
As for Equal Protection, it died the moment that one class was given special status over another at the expense of other classes. 

Equal protection, thanks to the wisdom of the SCOTUS, is alive and well.  Christians and their dogmas and prejudices aren't accorded any special status.  None. Zip. Nada.   

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #282 on: June 28, 2018, 05:59:59 pm »
He was better than the full-out activist, but I found some of his opinions to be unreadable legally, full of flowery bullshit about personal feelings and love that had nothing to do with the language of the Constitution, and everything to do with his personal feeling/ideology.  In those cases, he was as much of a legislator as the Wise Latina.

I will say that on "drier" issues to which he did not have an emotional reaction, he was pretty good at following the text and original intent.

It is true that throughout his tenure, you really were not sure which way he would rule.
He would just as likely rule left as he would right.

A very interesting thing happened in this last SCOTUS session.

There were 14 5-4 decisions this time.
All 5-4 decisions went to the right (or shall we say, less activist side) of the court.
In all 14 Kennedy was the 5th voice.
Alito, Thomas, Roberts, Gorsuch, and Kennedy were the 5 in all 14 of these.

While his career was up and down from a conservative point of view, he sure went out with a bang.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #283 on: June 28, 2018, 06:05:34 pm »

Not on the internet tax decision.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #284 on: June 28, 2018, 06:06:30 pm »
Are they not entitled to the law's equal protection in your view?   

"Equal" protection, not "superior."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #285 on: June 28, 2018, 06:09:40 pm »
Absolutely not true.   That is stereotyping, pure and simple.   Trump's not going to nominate a identity-politics liberal.  He's going to nominate a judicial conservative.    Has Clarence Thomas' race affected his rulings?
Key words = Identity politics Fairness=Progressive=Social Justice=Equity=Post modernism=Intersectionality

etc.

These are the principles of current democrats, and most of what the Left has become.

Thoose concepts guide and justify acts to shut down free speech on campuses, with violence if necessary, violence by Antifa.

So while the words are just gentle words, the methods and tactics employed are violent.

So if you envision having to man the barricades, nice to know the slogans and messaging of your opponents
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:20:05 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #286 on: June 28, 2018, 06:19:35 pm »
Have they lost their status as Americans in your view?  Are they not entitled to the law's equal protection in your view?   

The point of Justice being blind includes being colorblind.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #287 on: June 28, 2018, 06:24:57 pm »
The point of Justice being blind includes being colorblind.

Then we agree. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #288 on: June 28, 2018, 06:27:27 pm »
It is true that throughout his tenure, you really were not sure which way he would rule.

Is that a bad thing?

A very interesting thing happened in this last SCOTUS session.

There were 14 5-4 decisions this time.
All 5-4 decisions went to the right (or shall we say, less activist side) of the court.
In all 14 Kennedy was the 5th voice.

While his career was up and down from a conservative point of view, he sure went out with a bang.

And that is why I do not want it forgotten that Justice Kennedy was a superb and impartial jurist.   I sense some here are glad to see him go.  I think he was one of the Court's leading lights. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:28:07 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #289 on: June 28, 2018, 06:27:41 pm »

Not on the internet tax decision.

This was an odd one to be sure.
Kennedy, wrote the opinion, that overturnned his own precedent.
Oddly, Alito, Thomas, Roberts and Ginsburg, all agreed with that part of it.

From the Wall Street Journal:

"Justice Anthony Kennedy, who suggested years ago that the pre-Amazon.com precedent should be updated for the digital age, wrote for a majority that defied conventional ideological lines. Liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg joined his opinion, along with conservative Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch."

You could say this isn't conservative, because it raises taxes, and no conservative wants that.

However, you could say it is conservative, because it opens the states up to decide to tax or not, via the 10th Amendment.
Not making the states do it, of course, but not stopping them if they choose to.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #290 on: June 28, 2018, 06:29:59 pm »
...changed circumstances...

That’s a great point. When circumstances change, smart people change their thinking to incorporate the new paradigm: equal protection + social change

To do otherwise is to risk denying to some members of society the blessings of freedom that we all get to enjoy in America.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #291 on: June 28, 2018, 06:44:11 pm »

Is that a bad thing?

And that is why I do not want it forgotten that Justice Kennedy was a superb and impartial jurist.   I sense some here are glad to see him go.  I think he was one of the Court's leading lights.
I won't say the he was a bad jurist, just a moderate one, which is better than being a liberal one.

I think it boils down to this:

On most social issues that come before the court, it usually comes down to is it a 10th or 14th amendment issue.
The right would lean 10th and left 14th, but not always 100% of the time, written in stone.
Ending Jim Crow via the 14th was the right thing to do.
Allowing abortion under the 14th?
That argument is still raging today.

My own personal opinion is that the 14th is used too often to end or allow a practice that wasn't originally intended to be covered by the 14th, but I am more conservative than Kennedy, and others.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:44:58 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #292 on: June 28, 2018, 06:44:20 pm »
That’s a great point. When circumstances change, smart people change their thinking to incorporate the new paradigm: equal protection + social change

To do otherwise is to risk denying to some members of society the blessings of freedom that we all get to enjoy in America.

Can you give an example of what you're referring to vis-à-vis the new paradigm:  equal protection + social change?   I'm not sure what you mean by this.   Thx.

@aligncare

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #293 on: June 28, 2018, 06:49:55 pm »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #294 on: June 28, 2018, 07:04:03 pm »
This may be helpful:

If that is true and he has indeed pared the list down to those five then it should be Thomas Hardiman hands down.

With respect to Brett Kavanaugh I would remind you of this:

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/06/there_is_something_fishy_about_one_of_trumps_potential_supreme_court_nominees_.html

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #295 on: June 28, 2018, 07:05:52 pm »
Kennedy has been the source of that unpredictability on SCOTUS, which is why I don't want him replaced by another Kennedy.

@Cyber Liberty

Exactly! 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #296 on: June 28, 2018, 07:06:44 pm »

My own personal opinion is that the 14th is used too often to end or allow a practice that wasn't originally intended to be covered by the 14th, but I am more conservative than Kennedy, and others.

QFT
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #297 on: June 28, 2018, 07:07:06 pm »
Absolutely not true.   That is stereotyping, pure and simple.

And Obama didn't boast about his "Wise Latina" pick.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #298 on: June 28, 2018, 07:09:19 pm »
The writers of and those that passed the 14th amendment into law had NO intention for it to mean what activist judges have interpreted it to mean!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 07:14:45 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #299 on: June 28, 2018, 07:10:53 pm »
This may be helpful:

Thanks, @Sanguine .  It is good to see that the President is acting swiftly to pare down the list and announce his choice sooner rather than later.  It is absolutely critical to confirm the new Justice before the election, not only because the GOP still controls the Senate, but because we don't need the SCOTUS as an issue motivating liberals to get out and vote. 

Good, too,  to see Hardiman and Thapar are on the list. Also Amy Barrett - who's a practicing Catholic and, as some will recall, the judge that the Dems were determined to deep-six for the temerity of having religious beliefs.