Author Topic: Justice Kennedy Retiring!  (Read 23030 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Justice Kennedy Retiring!
« Reply #175 on: June 28, 2018, 01:13:42 am »
Think it's ugly now, you wait until Ginsburg retires or passes. If during Trumps term or terms I would not want my fishing boat under any tall bridge, because the sky could be raining Lefties.

Indeed!

But I've got this unease...gnawing at me.

Justice Kennedy's announced retirement is lighting that fuse we all talked about the other day. 

Just look anywhere on social media and cable news.

Going to be a violent, bloody Summer, IMO.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2018, 01:15:22 am »
You are exactly right.

Gingsberg, Kagan, Sotomayor, all women, all the worst liberals ever on the court.

NO more women nominees.  O'Connor was just like Kennedy, a swing vote.

*****rollingeyes*****
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #177 on: June 28, 2018, 01:19:17 am »
Where have you been?  Kennedy has been a disaster for years, as he 'swings' to and fro.

There is no way we do not get an improvement here.

Hmmm...only on social issues.

And, at 72..frankly I don't give a damn.   

I'll grudgingly give him chops for coming our way 5-4 the majority of the time.

As somebody else just said....it's a status quo appointment.  But we should embrace it.

...shuddering at what could've been.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2018, 01:22:42 am »
Clarice Feldman
15 mins ·

David Martosko
‏Verified account @dmartosko
2m2 minutes ago

Somewhere in an alternate universe, Supreme Court Justice Loretta Lynch is waiting expectantly to see whether President Hillary Clinton will nominate Eric Holder or Barack Obama to the high court.

:laugh:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #179 on: June 28, 2018, 01:30:33 am »
Clarice Feldman
15 mins ·

David Martosko
‏Verified account @dmartosko
2m2 minutes ago

Somewhere in an alternate universe, Supreme Court Justice Loretta Lynch is waiting expectantly to see whether President Hillary Clinton will nominate Eric Holder or Barack Obama to the high court.

That's a thought that should frighten even the squishiest RINO.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #180 on: June 28, 2018, 01:31:15 am »
Where have you been?  Kennedy has been a disaster for years, as he 'swings' to and fro.

There is no way we do not get an improvement here.

We don't know who he wants here.  I'm reserving opinion on what we we're getting.  Chinless may tell him he's not going to fight for another conservative (I'm still not all that sure about Gorsuch yet).
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #181 on: June 28, 2018, 01:32:50 am »
That's a thought that should frighten even the squishiest RINO.

....or NT'er.    :bolt:

Offline Fantom

« Reply #182 on: June 28, 2018, 01:34:35 am »
We don't know who he wants here.  I'm reserving opinion on what we we're getting.  Chinless may tell him he's not going to fight for another conservative (I'm still not all that sure about Gorsuch yet).

Status Que does not cut it.

If Trump does not put a Bork/Scalia up.. then he is a pos... Bring on Ted in 2020.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Online Hoodat

« Reply #183 on: June 28, 2018, 01:35:59 am »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #184 on: June 28, 2018, 01:39:53 am »
Hmmm...only on social issues.

And, at 72..frankly I don't give a damn.   

I'll grudgingly give him chops for coming our way 5-4 the majority of the time.

As somebody else just said....it's a status quo appointment.  But we should embrace it.

...shuddering at what could've been.   :laugh:

I don't want a status quo appointment.  It's going to take a solid conservative to start cleaning out the swamp of the Nine Robed Tyrants.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #185 on: June 28, 2018, 01:41:18 am »
Status Que does not cut it.

If Trump does not put a Bork/Scalia up.. then he is a pos... Bring on Ted in 2020.

The deal may have been to choose a true Centrist.

I'm not going to forget that in my lifetime, Negroes couldn't eat/drink/shit in the same place as white people.  Times indeed do change.

Sure, I'd love to see Senator Lee get the gig.   But for this pick, I'd accept a Kennedy clone.

But with the next pick, I'm with ya!    :laugh:

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Justice Anthony Kennedy announced Wednesday that he is retiring, giving President Trump a critical opportunity to move the Supreme Court more solidly to the right in what promises to be an epic confirmation fight.

The 81-year-old senior associate justice informed the White House in a letter of his intention to step down from the high court after 30 years, effective July 31. Rumors of another vacancy have reverberated across Washington in recent months, and it comes a year after Kennedy's former law clerk

Justice Neil Gorsuch, took over the seat occupied by the late Justice Antonin Scalia.

Arguably the most powerful member of the Supreme Court, Kennedy's moderate-conservative views often left him the "swing" -- or deciding -- vote in hot-button cases ranging from abortion to gay rights to political campaign spending.

A Supreme Court vacancy will likely become a key issue in a midterm congressional election year, when control of the Senate is at stake.

That body will consider Trump's latest high court nominee, requiring only a simple majority for confirmation. GOP leaders changed the rules when Gorsuch was being considered, to get rid of the 60-vote procedural filibuster threshold.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/27/supreme-court-justice-anthony-kennedy-to-retire.html

81 poor guy he missed retirement.  He might get to have a chair in the shower with a view?

Well its about time.  Now lets see about Roe V Wade.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2018, 01:46:51 am »

I'm not going to forget that in my lifetime, Negroes couldn't eat/drink/shit in the same place as white people.  Times indeed do change.

Sure, I'd love to see Senator Lee get the gig.   But for this pick, I'd accept a Kennedy clone.

The last time Cupid aimed for a "centrist," he hit Souter.
I will NOT comply.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2018, 01:48:30 am »
The last time Cupid aimed for a "centrist," he hit Souter.

LOL!   Point taken.   

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #189 on: June 28, 2018, 02:01:35 am »

I'd be shocked if there was any such "deal".  Just for starters, what constitutes a centrist is in the eye of the beholder.  You'd have to have a name/names attached for a promise like that to have any meaning.  I could see Trump perhaps going as far as ensuring that Kennedy knows that Trump will pick someone from his previously-published list.  But I can't see any more specificity than that.

Also...any such "deal" would be unwritten, and completely unenforceable anyway.  Trump is going to appoint who he wants, and he's not the kind of guy to let the other side off easily when he's got a winning hand.  He'll probably come as close to another Gorsuch as he can get.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 02:20:18 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Fantom

« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2018, 02:05:07 am »

News flash .... DATELINE: 06-27-18

<NOPE> @DCPatriot  says he will support Ted Cruz in 2020 if President Trump appoints another moderate/liberal to SCOTUS after replacing Kennedy with a clone... or worse.

Sorry DC, that does not cut the mustard with me.

If Trump caves on this.. he will keep the status quo with another ginsgberg.

P.S. BTW... Your racist shot about Negros and where they could or could not drink decades.... five of them ago. Shows your own bigotry... about real Conservatives... as if another Scalia, Alito,Gorsusch... or heaven forbid a Thomas...no doubt an Uncle Thomas in your view.

Somehow brings back those times.

You just showed me a window into your soul. #notappealing.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 02:25:03 am by Mod5 »
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2018, 02:15:09 am »

As I posted earlier in this thread as part of Trump’s “plan”.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #192 on: June 28, 2018, 02:23:47 am »
P.S. BTW... Your racist shot about Negros and where they could or could not drink decades.... five of them ago. Shows your own bigotry... about real Conservatives... as if another Scalia, Alito,Gorsusch... or heaven forbid a Thomas...no doubt an Uncle Thomas in your view.

I don’t think he meant what you thought.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #193 on: June 28, 2018, 02:25:41 am »

<NOPE> @DCPatriot  says he will support Ted Cruz in 2020 if President Trump appoints another moderate/liberal to SCOTUS after replacing Kennedy with a clone... or worse.

Sorry DC, that does not cut the mustard with me.

If Trump caves on this.. he will keep the status quo with another ginsgberg.

Whoa there, paint.  You're working up a lather.

"With you" begins and ends in demanding a "Bork or Scalia" for the next pick.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 02:26:59 am by Mod5 »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #194 on: June 28, 2018, 02:29:35 am »

WTF is "racist" about pointing out that America has changed during my lifetime?

I resent your virtue-signaling ass.  I never judged "Conservatives" here.    You're either drunk right now, or stoned.

@mystery-ak @Mod1   @anybodytheeffelse

You explain to me and the membership where the hell I deserve this shit?

[/quote]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 02:30:52 am by DCPatriot »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #195 on: June 28, 2018, 02:33:04 am »
WTF is "racist" about pointing out that America has changed during my lifetime?

I resent your virtue-signaling ass.  I never judged "Conservatives" here.    You're either drunk right now, or stoned.

@mystery-ak @Mod1   @anybodytheeffelse

You explain to me and the membership where the hell I deserve this shit?

Just for the record, I don't understand the accusation of racism either.

Old Sarge

« Reply #196 on: June 28, 2018, 02:34:23 am »
He should nominate Hillary so that she could be investigated via her Senate vetting.

ARE YOU MAD!?

She Who Must Not Be Named has proven Herself the most ruthless womyn ever to stalk the halls of power.  A disciple of Saul Alinsky who has used the Rules for Radicals extensively in clawing Her way to power. A compulsive liar. A consummate fraud.

Do you really honestly think that the Senate Committee would do anything other than throw softballs, lionize Her "lifelong" career in government "service", and allow Her to high-five everybody on the way out of the chamber?  Like She did for Benghazi?

Eight years of "Co-President" and destroying people's lives.  Eight years of the Senate, with nothing to show for it except fewer dead bodies.  Four years as Secretary of State, WITH dead bodies.  Four more years of deep-state corruption, pay-to-play scams, and  compromising national security.

And you want to possibly grant Her access to the highest court in the land, destroying the Constitution and more lives, and die on the bench after DJT leaves office, just in time for a Socialist President to appoint a fellow traveler.

The Red Queen must never again walk the halls of power.  That day would spell the doom of whatever republic remains.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #197 on: June 28, 2018, 02:35:05 am »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #198 on: June 28, 2018, 02:36:16 am »
I'd be shocked if there was any such "deal".  Just for starters, what constitutes a centrist is in the eye of the beholder.  You'd have to have a name/names attached for a promise like that to have any meaning.  I could see Trump perhaps going as far as ensuring that Kennedy knows that Trump will pick someone from his previously-published list.  But I can't see any more specificity than that.

Also...any such "deal" would be unwritten, and completely unenforceable anyway.  Trump is going to appoint who he wants, and he's not the kind of guy to let the other side off easily when he's got a winning hand.  He'll probably come as close to another Gorsuch as he can get.

I was thinking a 'promise' to not make this one an ideologue.  ...a Roy Bean.   That's all.

But the thought of another Souter?  No thank you.

So, to paraphrase @Cyber Liberty, ...Aim High and to the Right.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #199 on: June 28, 2018, 02:40:23 am »
Just for the record, I don't understand the accusation of racism either.

Thank you, sir.

I was merely pointing out that a SCOTUS should take current culture and society into consideration while ruling.

...once in a while.   :laugh: