Author Topic: Justice Kennedy Retiring!  (Read 22949 times)

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: Justice Kennedy Retiring!
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2018, 09:46:25 pm »
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2018, 10:40:06 pm »
Fantom wrote:
"It had to be now...just in case we should loose the Senate.
Ram it through, get it done. Watch the left get even more frenzied and neo-fascist nutzi. Such all works to our advantage."

Agreed.
I'm thinking that a forceful effort by Republicans to get the nominee confirmed before the election (hopefully before the first Monday in October) will give the entire party a boost in the November elections.

Perhaps just a small boost, but ANYTHING will be welcome and needed.

If the Pubbies won't stand tall for the nominee, it's going to cost them on illikshun day!

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2018, 10:44:25 pm »
Bloomberg and the Los Angeles Times are both reporting that the favorite is Brett Kavanaugh. Kavanaugh, 53, is a federal appellate court judge based in Washington, D.C., who previously clerked for Kennedy. Kavanaugh’s confirmation to the appellate court took three years from his nomination in 2003 until he was confirmed by a 57-36 vote in May 2006.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/appellate-judge-d-c-circuit-seen-early-favorite-trumps-supreme-court-shortlist-203121934.html

More likely, this is wishful thinking from Bloomberg and the LA Times, though he is on the list.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:51:23 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #153 on: June 27, 2018, 10:46:02 pm »
Liberal tears the best!

Yep, now that the Krocodile tears over ..."Separate the Babbies" are superseded by what the leftist maggots really care 'Bout.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=10796933

To which I do a happy dance...

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2018, 10:53:41 pm »
So, even if the president nominates another conservative, it’s still pretty much gonna remain 5–4.

I’ll take that – for now anyway.

On social issues Kennedy sided with the liberals.  He authord the ruling for same sex marriage. The LGBQT community are saddend by this announcement.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2018, 11:01:57 pm »
On social issues Kennedy sided with the liberals.  He authord the ruling for same sex marriage. The LGBQT community are saddend by this announcement.

Why are they sad? They got what they wanted. They should now go off to be fruitful and multiply.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2018, 11:19:12 pm »
Fantom wrote:
"It had to be now...just in case we should loose the Senate.
Ram it through, get it done. Watch the left get even more frenzied and neo-fascist nutzi. Such all works to our advantage."

Agreed.
I'm thinking that a forceful effort by Republicans to get the nominee confirmed before the election (hopefully before the first Monday in October) will give the entire party a boost in the November elections.

Perhaps just a small boost, but ANYTHING will be welcome and needed.

If the Pubbies won't stand tall for the nominee, it's going to cost them on illikshun day!

And if the quisling sect of Senators..we all know who they are. If they stop it, then it will bring out our voters to see we have at least 58 Senators.

It is a Paton strategy... "Hold 'Em by the nose...Kick 'Em in the ass"
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2018, 11:32:08 pm »
Why are they sad? They got what they wanted. They should now go off to be fruitful and multiply.

Only if fudge babies count.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2018, 11:53:06 pm »
@Frank Cannon
Enjoy .. the tears are delicious!

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142096216#post29

Think it's ugly now, you wait until Ginsburg retires or passes. If during Trumps term or terms I would not want my fishing boat under any tall bridge, because the sky could be raining Lefties.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mrclose

« Reply #159 on: June 28, 2018, 12:31:18 am »

June 29, 1992 - Angers conservatives by coauthoring, with Justices Sandra Day O'Connor and David Souter, the opinion of the court in Planned Parenthood v. Casey, to uphold Roe v. Wade.
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline mrclose

« Reply #160 on: June 28, 2018, 12:33:07 am »
March 1, 2005 - Writes the majority opinion for the 5-4 ruling in Roper v. Simmons stating that executing killers who were under age 18 when they committed their crimes is unconstitutional.
~ Self

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #161 on: June 28, 2018, 12:36:01 am »
Good he is going.

Trump needs to find another Bork so we can get what we should have gotten 30 years ago, but didn't cause the fat Kennedy slob.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mrclose

« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2018, 12:37:25 am »
June 26, 2015 - Kennedy writes the landmark majority opinion of the court in Obergefell v. Hodges, making same-sex marriage legal in all 50 US states.
~ Self

« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2018, 12:37:52 am »
So, even if the president nominates another conservative, it’s still pretty much gonna remain 5–4.

I’ll take that – for now anyway.
Where have you been?  Kennedy has been a disaster for years, as he 'swings' to and fro.

There is no way we do not get an improvement here.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mrclose

« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2018, 12:38:54 am »
June 23, 2016 - Kennedy writes the majority opinion in Fisher v. University of Texas, upholding the right of universities to consider race as one factor in admissions.
~ Self

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2018, 12:50:29 am »
I predict somebody similar to Kennedy. That way, rulings won’t change drastically and it will give RBG a false sense of security. She retires and BOOM, Trump replaces her with a strict constructionist.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #166 on: June 28, 2018, 01:02:03 am »
Where have you been?  Kennedy has been a disaster for years, as he 'swings' to and fro.

There is no way we do not get an improvement here.

Word.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Fantom

« Reply #167 on: June 28, 2018, 01:03:52 am »
I predict somebody similar to Kennedy. That way, rulings won’t change drastically and it will give RBG a false sense of security. She retires and BOOM, Trump replaces her with a strict constructionist.

Nein, Nyet...f'cing no.

You strike when the iron is hot.

No quarter, no prisoners...they do not give us that.

Frederick Douglass

Online corbe

« Reply #168 on: June 28, 2018, 01:04:59 am »
Trump: Kennedy retired now because he’s ‘confident in me to make the right choice’ to replace him

By Justin Wise - 06/27/18 08:49 PM EDT

President Trump on Wednesday said that Justice Anthony Kennedy announced his retirement from the Supreme Court because he knew Trump would pick the right replacement to "carry on his great legacy."

"I’m very honored that he chose to do it during my term in office," Trump said during a rally in Fargo, N.D. "Because he felt confident in me to make the right choice and carry on his great legacy. That’s why he did it."

Trump added that his nominee to fill the Supreme Court's vacancy will be on the bench for 40 to 45 years. Kennedy served 30 years on the high court.

<..snip..>

(emphasis mine)

http://thehill.com/homenews/394543-trump-justice-kennedy-retired-during-my-term-because-i-can-carry-out-his-legacy
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2018, 01:07:01 am »
He should nominate Hillary so that she could be investigated via her Senate vetting.

Best. Idea. Ever.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #170 on: June 28, 2018, 01:07:20 am »
June 26, 2015 - Kennedy writes the landmark majority opinion of the court in Obergefell v. Hodges, making same-sex marriage legal in all 50 US states.

Obergefell is as bad or even worse than Roe.  It usurps rights Constitutionally reserved for the States.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #171 on: June 28, 2018, 01:07:50 am »
Nein, Nyet...f'cing no.

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2018, 01:08:50 am »
Aside from being a swing vote, people have to remember Kennedy was a third in line give up choice, after Bork was rejected and Ginsburg withdrew at 4:20PM.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #173 on: June 28, 2018, 01:08:58 am »
Nein, Nyet...f'cing no.

I agree, I was just posting what Trump fans would consider 73rd dimensional chess.
I stand with Roosgirl.

« Reply #174 on: June 28, 2018, 01:09:20 am »
Nein, Nyet...f'cing no.

You are exactly right.

Gingsberg, Kagan, Sotomayor, all women, all the worst liberals ever on the court.

NO more women nominees.  O'Connor was just like Kennedy, a swing vote.