Author Topic: Justice Kennedy Retiring!  (Read 22995 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Justice Kennedy Retiring!
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2018, 08:50:21 pm »
@Frank Cannon
Enjoy .. the tears are delicious!

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142096216#post29

It's like election night all over again.

So much fun.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2018, 08:50:38 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2018, 08:51:21 pm »
I'm not interested in who will be "conservative" or "center" or "liberal." I'm interested in who will construe the Constitution properly, it being so---and too often forgotten, on all sides of the ideological divide---that construing the Constitution properly will not always mean that the result will be to one or another mob's liking.

That's absolutely true.  Although properly construed, the Constitution in most cases gives results that please conservatives.

Statutory construction is a different matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2018, 08:52:43 pm »

So much fun.

It's like upside down world: 

It's time to start planning your exit strategy. I'm planning mine. There is the old quote "Why would you want to join a club that doesn't want you?" and now it's time. Plan well, plan for the long term because they are playing the long game on this one and at this point America is done. No joke folks, no more hope for Mueller or the blue wave. Done. Putin, the Kochs, the Mercers, McConnell, etc. - they won. It's just stupid to be thinking otherwise at this point.

Explore your options and push your boundaries - unless you want to live under the latest version of the Nazi regime.

Trump's walls might used be for keeping folks in instead of out.

Never hurts to make sure that passport is up to date, or to explore whether you have any family overseas that you didn't know about.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:53:31 pm by Sanguine »

Offline mrclose

« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2018, 08:52:55 pm »
I recommend everyone read that link. It is the feel good page of the century.

It has certainly made my year Frank!

I'm gonna enshrine the entire thread in it's very own Flash Drive! :silly: :beer:
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline aligncare

« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2018, 08:58:54 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

It may come down to who he talks to before he makes the decision, so I hope not.

That’s funny. Because, in business Trump’s habit was to take in as much input, read up on it, listen to as much advice as possible, and then decide. Whatever he decided, it was always his decision. I expect the same here.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:14:23 pm by aligncare »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2018, 09:00:01 pm »
Nice bonus is that nominating a female right before the midterms is a good politics, too.

That was basically his point - nominate a good female choice and let the Democratic 'war on women' begin.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2018, 09:05:11 pm »
Democrats and the MSM can rage all they want.  Have an aneurysm for all I care.  Back in 2012 and 2015, it felt as if the country were being taken away.  SCOTUS played a central role in that, and hopefully this means it will be a while before that feeling comes back.

Silver Pines

« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2018, 09:13:26 pm »
It's like upside down world:

@Sanguine

Drama queens.

Silver Pines

« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2018, 09:15:50 pm »
With a current majority of 51, RINOs are lining up to apply demands under threats of vetoes.  Flake...Corker...you name it.

@Cyber Liberty

Just when I thought I didn't give a rip about politics anymore.

:terror:

Offline Fantom

« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2018, 09:19:38 pm »

Whew doggiess..... sure is sticky out here...an I ain't a talkin'  'Bout the Humitity either.

Liberal heads...I'd say brains... but then Ya'll know I was lyin'.  Anyways the head parts are coverin' everything.

Had to change into my winter goloshes.   :amen:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Silver Pines

« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2018, 09:20:23 pm »
I'm sending that page to my old friend Repubmommy from TOS.  It's been years since she posted there,  what with working to keep three daughters to keep in Catholic school, but she told me about the DU trolling.  She'll love it.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2018, 09:20:38 pm »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(Or ... Once again we see how big a miracle ....  ^-^)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2018, 09:20:44 pm »
The way I'm seeing this right now.... Justice Kennedy did President Trump no huge favor by announcing retirement at this time.

It's all the incentive the DEMS need to rouse the base to come out in the mid-terms.

By "base", I mean college students and minorities and of course, illegal immigrants who try/will vote.

Sure this is simply a GOP-POTUS selected replacement by same...but.....
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2018, 09:21:37 pm »
Just some random thoughts...

Where do we stand in the Senate on this?

The best that can be hoped for is 50 votes with Mike Pence breaking the tie.

Flake, in his last parting shot, will vote "no" for any conservative nominee, perhaps any nominee at all (just to spite Mr. Trump).

Collins of Maine is doubtful, not to be trusted nor relied upon. But "possible".

Murkowski -- will have to be wooed. Give her something to buy her vote. The end [almost] justifies the means here. She can be bought. If that's what it takes, it's what it takes.

McCain -- absolutely a no vote, but with a bit of luck, he'll be dead before the final vote and a new senator will have been installed in his place.

McConnell -- will he do what has to be done, including overriding or ending a filibuster? That's the $64,000 question.

And stay the course, Mr. Trump --- pick someone TO THE RIGHT of Gorsuch.
Shove this down the throats of the democrat-communists!

Good to see you here @Fishrrman

I did see a list of potential (conservative) women nominees on the news, it would not surprise me to see that.

Honorables Amy Barret.....Allison Eid...and that list goes on... just as long as they are representative of our values, that's what is important, well, true, they should be Constitutional Constructionists at that.

It might be time for a woman to be nominated.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:24:52 pm by TomSea »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2018, 09:22:35 pm »

Old Sarge

« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2018, 09:23:58 pm »
Come on. Kennedy was like a wind sock. He was not very reliable. Getting someone solid and younger on there would be a big deal. It would make that 5 not only reliable, but long lasting.
Kennedy was worse than a windsock.

I distinctly recall an interview he gave to someone on NPR years back (the link is probably lost).  He smugly declared he KNEW he was the swing vote, and he freely gave it to whichever side invited him to the best cocktail parties.

I agree with you that this would solidify a 5-4 majority on the court.  Now if Ruth Baader-Meinhoff would just cash in her Civil War pension and slink away, there'd be a 6-3 SCOTUS for a generation to come.

But, while this is tremendous news, there is NO guarantee that any nominee DJT picks will see a vote come up in the Senate.  The GOPe will, as always, cringe and bow to the hysterical demands of the Left.  Always have, always will.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2018, 09:25:06 pm »

So much fun.

The best part about DU on election night was the fact the were taken offline.  They had no outlet for spleen venting.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Old Sarge

« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2018, 09:25:48 pm »
The way I'm seeing this right now.... Justice Kennedy did President Trump no huge favor by announcing retirement at this time.

It's all the incentive the DEMS need to rouse the base to come out in the mid-terms.

By "base", I mean college students and minorities and of course, illegal immigrants who try/will vote.

Good observation

Offline Fantom

« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2018, 09:26:19 pm »

It had to be now...just in case we should loose the Senate.

Ram it through, get it done. Watch the left get even more frenzied and neo-fascist nutzi. Such all works to our advantage.

As for the left blue wave... I do not see it. What elections they have won are not by producing bigger numbers than they can. It is by our voters not voting ..for whatever reason.  Hard to see any more rage helping them do that.

I think we show up in NOV.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2018, 09:31:32 pm »

Maybe ... but the Federal and Supreme Courts are EXTREMELY important to Republicans and even Independents.   We understand the courts' influence continues for at least a generation (too much math for a democrat).

I believe this issue stays in the "R" column.  Yeah!!   ^-^

Silver Pines

« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2018, 09:32:33 pm »

@Sanguine

Lmao

What does this mean....are we all going to die, or something?  Did I miss the news about a meteor headed this way?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2018, 09:34:04 pm »
@Sanguine

Lmao

What does this mean....are we all going to die, or something?  Did I miss the news about a meteor headed this way?

Oh, no!  That could be serious.    :laugh:

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2018, 09:36:47 pm »
@Sanguine

Lmao

It's the end of the world as they know it, but I feel fine.   :whistle:
Let it burn.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2018, 09:45:17 pm »
Just some random thoughts...

Where do we stand in the Senate on this?

The best that can be hoped for is 50 votes with Mike Pence breaking the tie.

Flake, in his last parting shot, will vote "no" for any conservative nominee, perhaps any nominee at all (just to spite Mr. Trump).

Collins of Maine is doubtful, not to be trusted nor relied upon. But "possible".

Murkowski -- will have to be wooed. Give her something to buy her vote. The end [almost] justifies the means here. She can be bought. If that's what it takes, it's what it takes.

McCain -- absolutely a no vote, but with a bit of luck, he'll be dead before the final vote and a new senator will have been installed in his place.

McConnell -- will he do what has to be done, including overriding or ending a filibuster? That's the $64,000 question.

And stay the course, Mr. Trump --- pick someone TO THE RIGHT of Gorsuch.
Shove this down the throats of the democrat-communists!

There really isn't anyone who is more of a staunch judicial conservative than Neil Gorsuch.  Perhaps you can find a conservative activist, but I wouldn't want that either.

The vote for Gorsuch was 54-45.  It's going to be tough to defeat this nominee.  That's kind of why I'd like Allison Eid.  Staunch conservative, and it would be really tough for the GOP female Senators to oppose a woman.