Author Topic: Disgruntled veteran sets himself on fire outside Georgia Capitol  (Read 561 times)

Offline Hoodat

UPDATE: Disgruntled veteran sets himself on fire outside Georgia Capitol, GSP says

By Steve Burns John Spink Stephen Deere     |     The Atlanta Journal-Constitution     |     26 June 2018

Disgruntled with the U.S. Veterans Administration, a veteran set himself on fire in protest Tuesday outside the state Capitol in downtown Atlanta, according to the Georgia State Patrol.

About 10:45 a.m., the 58-year-old Air Force veteran from Mableton parked a Nissan Sentra on Washington Street, stepped out of the car and walked toward the Capitol, GSP Capt. Mark Perry told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

â€œHe was strapped with some homemade incendiary devices (and) firecrackers, and doused himself with some kind of flammable liquid” before lighting the fireworks, he said.

Several loud explosions were heard, and a trooper quickly put out the fire with an extinguisher, according to authorities.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/breaking-emergency-scene-outside-state-capitol/t1EJeInRLqB2fegT9JtLtI/

The Vet was rushed to Grady Hospital with 3rd-degree burns over 85% of his body.  Grady has one of the best burn centers around.  Assuming this was a suicide attempt, he should have done it in the lobby of the VA hospital which is one of the worst.  The VA here is horrible.  It always has been.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Disgruntled veteran sets himself on fire outside Georgia Capitol
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 08:09:16 pm »
Unfortunately, if they truly are 3rd degree and cover that much of the body, the chances aren’t good he’ll survive. 
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 08:32:55 pm »
Unfortunately, if they truly are 3rd degree and cover that much of the body, the chances aren’t good he’ll survive.

I cannot bring myself to type what I think about his chance of recovery.

During one Refinery Expansion project, the client decided everyone should watch this video in preparation for safety in design.

REMEMBER CHARLIE
https://www.charliemorecraft.com/shop/remember-charlie43-min/

A very, very lasting memory created with that video.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 08:35:11 pm »
Geez....ya think they could come up with a better description than "disgruntled".

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 08:57:02 pm »
I cannot jump to conclusions about this. I know a lot of veterans with mental issues. It is difficult to know if this is related to the VA or to the person and whatever he has been through in his life. There could be external issues unrelated to the VA involved. He could have just as easily done this in front of his workplace or his exwife's house, or a freakin' Walmart. Who knows? Obviously, he was not thinking rationally.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 09:00:28 pm »
I cannot jump to conclusions about this. I know a lot of veterans with mental issues. It is difficult to know if this is related to the VA or to the person and whatever he has been through in his life. There could be external issues unrelated to the VA involved. He could have just as easily done this in front of his workplace or his exwife's house, or a freakin' Walmart. Who knows? Obviously, he was not thinking rationally.

Isn't this the third or fourth case of self immolation by vets at VA offices in the past ten years? 

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 09:07:00 pm »
Isn't this the third or fourth case of self immolation by vets at VA offices in the past ten years?

I don't know. Most Vets I know would never do this in terms of suicide. The ones I am familiar with either shoot themselves or OD. This self immolation thing is more of a far-East custom. I can't see why a Vet would do that?

I don't know what this is. This is beyond my knowledge and experience.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.