Author Topic: The whole Democratic Party is now a smoking pile of rubble  (Read 263 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The whole Democratic Party is now a smoking pile of rubble
« on: June 26, 2018, 06:31:38 pm »
If Donald Trump’s win were the Democratic Party’s only problem, the party’s leaders would be justified in affecting a certain amount of complacency. After all, in a year when fundamentals-based models predicted a narrow Republican victory, Clinton actually pulled out a majority of the popular vote. That makes the Democrats from 1992 to 2016 the only political party in American history to win the popular vote in six elections out of seven. It’s actually kind of impressive.

What’s less impressive is that at the sub-presidential level, the Obama years have created a Democratic Party that’s essentially a smoking pile of rubble.

Republicans control the House, and they control the Senate. District lines are drawn in such a way that the median House district is far more conservative than the median American voter — resulting in situations like 2012 where House Democrats secured more votes than House Republicans but the GOP retained a healthy majority. The Senate, too, is in effect naturally gerrymandered to favor Republicans. Two years from now the Democratic Party will need to fight to retain seats in very difficult states like North Dakota, Montana, West Virginia, Indiana, and Missouri along with merely contestable ones in places like Florida, Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/10/13576488/democratic-party-smoking-pile-rubble

------------

And liberal heads are exploding from all the hostile SCOTUS decisions. It's a good day.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 06:38:15 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: The whole Democratic Party is now a smoking pile of rubble
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 06:35:18 pm »
Excellent!   
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: The whole Democratic Party is now a smoking pile of rubble
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 07:07:50 pm »
 smoking pile of rubble?

That smell has more of a cesspool in a 100 degree day in Arizona air about it.

Oh.   Vox wrote that?   It must really be looking bad!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:08:43 pm by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."