Author Topic: Harley-Davidson, Blaming E.U. Tariffs, Will Move Some Production Out of U.S.  (Read 1348 times)

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/business/harley-davidson-us-eu-tariffs.html

Harley-Davidson, Blaming E.U. Tariffs, Will Move Some Production Out of U.S.

Europe is second to only the United States as Harley-Davidson’s most important market. President Trump has often lauded the company as an American icon and job creator.CreditDrew Angerer/Getty Images

By Alan Rappeport and Amie Tsang

June 25, 2018

Harley-Davidson, the American motorcycle manufacturer, said on Monday that it would shift some production of its iconic bikes overseas to avoid retaliatory tariffs imposed by the European Union in response to President Trump’s trade moves.

The decision, announced in a public filing, is the latest and most high-profile example of how Mr. Trump’s trade war is beginning to ripple through the United States economy as domestic companies begin struggling with a cascade of tariffs both here and abroad. While Mr. Trump says his trade policy is aimed at reviving domestic manufacturing, Harley-Davidson’s decision shows how the administration’s moves could have the unintended effect of reducing employment and economic growth in the United States.

Last week, the European Union hit back against Mr. Trump’s steel and aluminum tariffs with penalties on $3.2 billion worth of American products, including bourbon, orange juice, playing cards and Harley-Davidsons. On Monday, the Wisconsin-based company said that European tariffs on its motorcycles had increased to 31 percent from 6 percent and estimated that would add about $2,200, on average, to every motorcycle exported from the United States to the bloc.

For entire article click link above

Please @Weird Tolkienish Figure use excerpts particularly with the NYT it can become very problematic very quickly
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:23:11 pm by MOD8 »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Harley-Davidson is in trouble because millennials  aren’t interested in buying motorcycles. And Baby Boomers are getting too old to ride. 

Harley will soon be sold or it will die.

Their CEO is a tubesteak and making this move of production is the last gasp of a CEO looking to cash out his stock options.

Blaming Trumps Tariffs is a losers excuse.  Harley was in the shithouse before the flush.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online corbe

Who buys Harley's anymore except Insurance salesmen going through a mid life crisis?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Trump hits Harley-Davidson for using tariffs as 'excuse' for moving production overseas

By Brett Samuels - 06/25/18 05:40 PM EDT

President Trump on Monday blasted Harley-Davidson for moving some of its motorcycle production overseas in response to an ongoing trade dispute prompted by the administration's tariffs on European countries.

"Surprised that Harley-Davidson, of all companies, would be the first to wave the White Flag. I fought hard for them and ultimately they will not pay tariffs selling into the E.U., which has hurt us badly on trade, down $151 Billion. Taxes just a Harley excuse - be patient!" Trump tweeted.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/394041-trump-hits-harley-davidson-for-using-tariffs-as-excuse-for-moving
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline WingNot

Trump hits Harley-Davidson for using tariffs as 'excuse' for moving production overseas

By Brett Samuels - 06/25/18 05:40 PM EDT

President Trump on Monday blasted Harley-Davidson for moving some of its motorcycle production overseas in response to an ongoing trade dispute prompted by the administration's tariffs on European countries.

"Surprised that Harley-Davidson, of all companies, would be the first to wave the White Flag. I fought hard for them and ultimately they will not pay tariffs selling into the E.U., which has hurt us badly on trade, down $151 Billion. Taxes just a Harley excuse - be patient!" Trump tweeted.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/394041-trump-hits-harley-davidson-for-using-tariffs-as-excuse-for-moving

Trumps correct.  Matthew S Levatich is a guy looking to kill a company and profit from doing it.   He is the Wild Hog who never learnd to ride.

Offline montanajoe

A lot of Harley riders are also Trump supporters.....

I suspect they have a hell of a lot more loyalty to Harley-Davidson than to the current occupant of the WH.... :shrug: 

Offline WingNot

A lot of Harley riders are also Trump supporters.....

I suspect they have a hell of a lot more loyalty to Harley-Davidson than to the current occupant of the WH.... :shrug:

Try to keep up Liberal Joe.   Harley riders will agree with Trump. 

Oceander

And now Trump is threatening to destroy Harley-Davidson because they reacted rationally to his irrational trade war and tariffs.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

And now Trump is threatening to destroy Harley-Davidson because they reacted rationally to his irrational trade war and tariffs.
Really?  He said he would 'destroy' Harley-Davidson?

Can you point to that quote or are you once again hyper-ventilating?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Really?  He said he would 'destroy' Harley-Davidson?

Can you point to that quote or are you once again hyper-ventilating?

He said (exact quote): "A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!"

Offline RoosGirl

Yeah, I don't think that really happened.

Offline RoosGirl

He said (exact quote): "A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!"

But he was talking about the European taxing, was he not?

How did you interpret that as "Destroy Harley-Davidson"?

Here's an example of how a President says to destroy somebody:

! No longer available
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Lo and behold, the employees are all-in supporting tariffs.

Really sounds destructive to Harley, doesn't it?  @Oceander

Harley-Davidson Workers Praise Trump’s Tariffs: ‘He’s Just Trying to Save American Industry’
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/06/26/harley-davidson-workers-praise-trumps-tariffs-hes-just-trying-to-save-american-industry/