Author Topic: Lone Star Rising  (Read 1448 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Lone Star Rising
« on: June 24, 2018, 08:47:12 pm »
In a dusty swath of West Texas known as the Permian Basin, a historic oil boom is pushing U.S. production to record levels and bringing sudden wealth to local landowners—along with some thorny challenges. As they rush to invest, oil majors like Exxon Mobil are betting that this bonanza has staying power.

http://fortune.com/longform/permian-basin-oil-fortune-500/
From article

“We’re busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest.”
Darrell Weddle: Head Mechanic at Oilfield Fishing and Rental
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Lone Star Rising
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 08:52:51 pm »
More Redneck Millionaires that you can shake a stick at.  And that ain't a bad thing!
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 09:19:12 pm »
More Redneck Millionaires that you can shake a stick at.  And that ain't a bad thing!

My days in the oil industry, and the energy service industry taught me to respect these hard working, common sense Americans. My father was in the drill bit business(Security)  in the Rocky Mtn. states when I was young. (His father had ridden horseback, inspecting oil pipelines in the Big Horn Basin, Wyoming (Marathon).

At age 19 I started in the bus (Signal Oil & Gas Co.). many had down South accents. Easy for a SoCal surfer to dismiss as hicks. But some were the managers and engineers, that kept the jobs going just like the roughnecks and field crews. All genuinely good folks. 

My job kept me in both the office and the field. I fondly remember those days and those people. Another 14 years at Fluor Engineers and Constructors, solidified my admiration of "rednecks," from Texas or elsewhere.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 09:37:45 pm »
My days in the oil industry, and the energy service industry taught me to respect these hard working, common sense Americans. My father was in the drill bit business(Security)  in the Rocky Mtn. states when I was young. (His father had ridden horseback, inspecting oil pipelines in the Big Horn Basin, Wyoming (Marathon).

At age 19 I started in the bus (Signal Oil & Gas Co.). many had down South accents. Easy for a SoCal surfer to dismiss as hicks. But some were the managers and engineers, that kept the jobs going just like the roughnecks and field crews. All genuinely good folks. 

My job kept me in both the office and the field. I fondly remember those days and those people. Another 14 years at Fluor Engineers and Constructors, solidified my admiration of "rednecks," from Texas or elsewhere.
Enjoyed reading about your memories there.

Being one of those Texan petroleum engineers, I spent 24 years of my life across the US and overseas before I was able to return home to my state eventually for retirement.

I do have stories of those days long gone.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 09:57:03 pm »
Enjoyed reading about your memories there.

Being one of those Texan petroleum engineers, I spent 24 years of my life across the US and overseas before I was able to return home to my state eventually for retirement.

I do have stories of those days long gone.
You are the type of person I talked about. The stories are great.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 10:36:07 pm »
I never worked in the Oil Patch. Me and my Deep Southern Drawl, worked at NASA for 30Yrs+. I received my share of being poked at for my accent. People trying to finish my sentences and such. They learned though that my slow elocution increased to lightning fast once I was pissed off. No one could ever place where I was from, growing up in Texas and spending my earliest summers at Louisville Ga. State Prison, with my grandfather, the Warden.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 10:51:07 pm »
@truth_seeker @IsailedawayfromFR

I think both of you pretty much know my story so I won't bother repeating it here.  I'm lucky in that I have been fortunate enough to be involved in many things that younger folks in the industry now can only dream about.

Edit to add that I'm sure some of those young people will end up doing things I could never have even imagined.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 11:03:47 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 11:01:15 pm »
I never worked in the Oil Patch. Me and my Deep Southern Drawl, worked at NASA for 30Yrs+. I received my share of being poked at for my accent. People trying to finish my sentences and such. They learned though that my slow elocution increased to lightning fast once I was pissed off. No one could ever place where I was from, growing up in Texas and spending my earliest summers at Louisville Ga. State Prison, with my grandfather, the Warden.

I worked the Daddy's girls from the "Oil Patch" back in the 70's.  It was a wonderful time. Traveled from Houson to Dallas to Midland. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 12:12:42 am »
@truth_seeker @IsailedawayfromFR

I think both of you pretty much know my story so I won't bother repeating it here.  I'm lucky in that I have been fortunate enough to be involved in many things that younger folks in the industry now can only dream about.

Edit to add that I'm sure some of those young people will end up doing things I could never have even imagined.
They might, but am pretty sure they will never be able to do some of the things I went to during the younger days, like in the UK during the early days of the North Sea watching the first Subsea Template being set, which changed forever what the 'Offshore Industry' was, or standing on the shoreline at a refinery in Kuwait (before the Gulf Wars, there were other shells to pick up on the beach) or spending a month in Libya during Gaddafi's rule less than ten years ago after Libya reopened ever so briefly. 

I could add being on Barrow Island offshore Western Australia observing the way Australia used to look with the myriads of marsupials hopping about prior to the world's most expensive LNG plant being built there, or, changing things up, working with New Yorkers right outside Manhattan at company HQ and giving presentations to the CEO.

The oil industry is one tough to equal anywhere, and it is full of opportunity for the person who wishes it and strives to achieve.