Author Topic: Can Artificial Intelligence Help Stop School Shootings?  (Read 687 times)

rangerrebew

Can Artificial Intelligence Help Stop School Shootings?
« on: June 24, 2018, 02:21:07 pm »
Can Artificial Intelligence Help Stop School Shootings?
Some researchers believe it could help predict student violence. Others worry about unintended consequences

By Randy Rieland

June 22, 2018

For all their stunning frequency, school shootings remain a confounding horror.

Not only is there little consensus on how to stop them—with suggestions ranging from restricting gun access to arming teachers—but there’s even less certainty about why a student would open fire on his classmates.

Now, some scientists are starting to explore if artificial intelligence (AI) could help find answers. The idea is that algorithms might be able to better analyze data related to school shootings, and perhaps even identify patterns in student language or behavior that could foreshadow school violence. The research is still in its early stages, and the prospect of using machines to predict who might become a school shooter raises privacy issues and other ethical questions associated with any kind of profiling, particularly since the process would involve children. The goal, though, is to see if the analytical power of intelligent machines can provide more clarity to tragedies too often consumed in a swirl of high emotions and political rhetoric.

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/can-artificial-intelligence-help-stop-school-shootings-180969288/#LJ5EjPGIBz6Oi6vx.99

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Can Artificial Intelligence Help Stop School Shootings?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 02:22:33 pm »
"Ours is an age which is proud of machines that think, and suspicious of any man who tries to."

Howard Mumford Jones
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 02:40:35 pm »
AI likely has quite a few applications of this nature.

All of those recently released JFK/CIA/FBI records have been entered into AI. Potentially, something could be discovered. Obviously, one would want to keep a close eye on the situation.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 02:49:45 pm »
I hate to say it, but this sounds like it’s verging on P.K. Dick’s story Minority Report. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 02:53:23 pm »
I hate to say it, but this sounds like it’s verging on P.K. Dick’s story Minority Report.
That way the star chamber folks can decide who the cool kids are even before it matters.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis