Author Topic: Bedrock in West Antarctica rising at surprisingly rapid rate  (Read 922 times)

rangerrebew

Bedrock in West Antarctica rising at surprisingly rapid rate
June 21, 2018, The Ohio State University
Antarctic ice sheet is melting, but rising bedrock below could slow it down

The earth is rising in one part of Antarctica at one of the fastest rates ever recorded, as ice rapidly disappears and weight is lifted off the bedrock, a new international study has found.

The findings, reported in the journal Science, have surprising and positive implications for the survival of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet (WAIS), which scientists had previously thought could be doomed because of the effects of climate change.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-06-bedrock-west-antarctica-surprisingly-rapid.html#jCp

rangerrebew

Re: Bedrock in West Antarctica rising at surprisingly rapid rate
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 02:07:09 pm »
Oh no, no, no, no!! :#@$%: That means the ocean can't rise as fast as the alarmists say!! :silly:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 02:34:32 pm »
WHo was the twit who said Guam would tip over?  Maybe that's what is happening down South?  :smokin: :silly: :silly: :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 07:47:01 pm »
This will mean lower rate of basal infiltration of seawater, reducing basal separation as the ice lifts, but it also is an indication that melting is occurring faster than previously estimated.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 08:15:32 pm »
WHo was the twit who said Guam would tip over?  Maybe that's what is happening down South?  :smokin: :silly: :silly: :silly:

He said That was going to happen because of the added weight of those new US Marines going to Guam.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 08:16:50 pm »
This will mean lower rate of basal infiltration of seawater, reducing basal separation as the ice lifts, but it also is an indication that melting is occurring faster than previously estimated.

But with climate the alarmist always forget/ignore  the "Yang"
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 09:23:52 pm »
Just a bit of isostatic rebound. Been happening in Canada for 10K years.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 09:26:45 pm »
Just a bit of isostatic rebound. Been happening in Canada for 10K years.

At least.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 10:46:02 pm »
Does that mean I'll be able to move there soon and escape this heat?