Author Topic: CNN Poll: Approval of Mueller Probe Is Dropping  (Read 1182 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
CNN Poll: Approval of Mueller Probe Is Dropping
« on: June 22, 2018, 07:20:54 pm »
dailycaller
Amber Athey | Media and Breaking News Editor 6/22/2018

[excerpt]

http://dailycaller.com/2018/06/22/cnn-poll-mueller-probe-support/

A new CNN poll on Friday revealed that approval of the way special counsel Robert Mueller is handling the Russia investigation has hit a low.

According to the survey of 1,012 Americans from June 14 to June 17, only 41 percent still approve of Mueller’s handling of the investigation. That is the lowest approval rating for the probe since CNN began polling in December of 2017. At that time, 47 percent approved of Mueller’s handling.

Support for the investigation has also dropped significantly since just under a year ago.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Re: CNN Poll: Approval of Mueller Probe Is Dropping
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 07:22:29 pm »
Here's what Should be amazing but isn't

Approval of Mueller is also incredibly low, with only 32 percent of respondents saying they have a favorable opinion of the special counsel. Only 28 percent have a favorable opinion of former FBI director James Comey.

There are really(?) that many people out there who are still That stupid?
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 07:50:36 pm »
Here's what Should be amazing but isn't

Approval of Mueller is also incredibly low, with only 32 percent of respondents saying they have a favorable opinion of the special counsel. Only 28 percent have a favorable opinion of former FBI director James Comey.

There are really(?) that many people out there who are still That stupid?

It would be interesting to see the poll's internals.  I recall the polls leading up to the presidential election being heavily weighted towards Democrats.  The wording of the questions can also skew the results.

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 07:57:04 pm »
Jmo. Mueller and Rosenstein have appeared from the beginning to be trying to goad Trump into emulating Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre.  In that way, an obstruction case could have been made despite the absence of other wrongdoing on Trump's part. Instead of taking the bait, Trump is fighting a war of attrition. What's more, slowly but surely he is winning. It's pretty amazing to watch.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 08:19:22 pm »
A poll is a poll.  At this point, really, what difference does Mueller's approval rating make?  He still has a job, he's still on a witch hunt and still leading an investigation that should have never been.  Millions have been spent. Meanwhile ... the evidence of the true corruption continues to be buried and those responsible are laughing.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 08:21:13 pm »
Jmo. Mueller and Rosenstein have appeared from the beginning to be trying to goad Trump into emulating Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre.  In that way, an obstruction case could have been made despite the absence of other wrongdoing on Trump's part. Instead of taking the bait, Trump is fighting a war of attrition. What's more, slowly but surely he is winning. It's pretty amazing to watch.

It depends on what you mean by winning.  There's no pushback in the PR game from the prosecution.  They're still conducting investigations and trials, with not much being released.  Manafort is in jail and all of his DC District dismissal motions on evidence are being thrown out.  His other pending trial in VA has been postponed, due to an illness in Tillis' family.  The judge had received the unredacted papers he'd requested prior to the postponement and didn't make a ruling in the defense's favor.  That's telling.  In a separate investigation by SDNY, the Cohen case and its implications still looms.  Plus, there's still the Daniels civil suit.

Twenty years ago, you couldn't find a bigger public villain than Ken Starr.  That investigation went on for years.  He was being assailed daily by the Clinton war room and a hostile MSM.  He didn't care and kept investigating/prosecuting.  Mueller's team is probably in the same mode - grind on, screw the polls.  Even with all the bad PR, the Starr Report was eventually finished and released.  Clinton was still impeached, held in contempt, fined, and marginalized for his remaining two years, despite the efforts of the Clinton machine and public opinion.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 08:24:08 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 08:39:26 pm »

It depends on what you mean by winning.  There's no pushback in the PR game from the prosecution.  They're still conducting investigations and trials, with not much being released.  Manafort is in jail and all of his DC District dismissal motions on evidence are being thrown out.  His other pending trial in VA has been postponed, due to an illness in Tillis' family.  The judge had received the unredacted papers he'd requested prior to the postponement and didn't make a ruling in the defense's favor.  That's telling.  In a separate investigation by SDNY, the Cohen case and its implications still looms.  Plus, there's still the Daniels civil suit.

Twenty years ago, you couldn't find a bigger public villain than Ken Starr.  That investigation went on for years.  He was being assailed daily by the Clinton war room and a hostile MSM.  He didn't care and kept investigating/prosecuting.  Mueller's team is probably in the same mode - grind on, screw the polls.  Even with all the bad PR, the Starr Report was eventually finished and released.  Clinton was still impeached, held in contempt, fined, and marginalized for his remaining two years, despite the efforts of the Clinton machine and public opinion.

Re Starr, Trump has an advantage Clinton didn't have.  Clinton perjured himself, whereas Trump did not collude with Russia  [a 'statute,' which Rosenstein failed to specifically cite when appointing Mueller]. In the end Starr confirmed that Clinton committed perjury.

The theory at this point, fwiw, is that Mueller will scrape together some kind of obstruction charge. In my mind, Trump wins two ways on this. First, he denies the rabid press and Democrats the opportunity to hysterically claim a Saturday Night Massacre redux, simply by not emulating Nixon.

Second, the longer Mueller investigates the lower his credibility goes. His job, unlike Starr's, is to manufacture a crime.  For that Mueller needs to be perceived as fair and nonpartisan.  From that POV, he's failing more every month he drags the witch hunt out.

As I said originally, jmo.

Offline edpc

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 08:58:52 pm »
Re Starr, Trump has an advantage Clinton didn't have.  Clinton perjured himself, whereas Trump did not collude with Russia  [a 'statute,' which Rosenstein failed to specifically cite when appointing Mueller]. In the end Starr confirmed that Clinton committed perjury.

The theory at this point, fwiw, is that Mueller will scrape together some kind of obstruction charge. In my mind, Trump wins two ways on this. First, he denies the rabid press and Democrats the opportunity to hysterically claim a Saturday Night Massacre redux, simply by not emulating Nixon.

Second, the longer Mueller investigates the lower his credibility goes. His job, unlike Starr's, is to manufacture a crime.  For that Mueller needs to be perceived as fair and nonpartisan.  From that POV, he's failing more every month he drags the witch hunt out.

As I said originally, jmo.

Well, the original scope in Rosenstein's order never specifically mentions obstruction, nor does it make Trump the target of the investigation into collusion.  It states that anyone associated with the campaign (which can include Trump, but isn't limited to him) can be investigated for links and coordination.  Based on how the order is written and how Trump has said he would want to know if there was anything like that happening in the campaign, his objection to that aspect is a bit disingenuous.  If he doesn't want to interview with Mueller, that's fine and no direct inferences should be drawn from it.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bal-rod-rosenstein-s-order-to-appoint-special-counsel-20170517-htmlstory.html

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 09:39:02 pm »

Well, the original scope in Rosenstein's order never specifically mentions obstruction, nor does it make Trump the target of the investigation into collusion.  It states that anyone associated with the campaign (which can include Trump, but isn't limited to him) can be investigated for links and coordination.  Based on how the order is written and how Trump has said he would want to know if there was anything like that happening in the campaign, his objection to that aspect is a bit disingenuous.  If he doesn't want to interview with Mueller, that's fine and no direct inferences should be drawn from it.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bal-rod-rosenstein-s-order-to-appoint-special-counsel-20170517-htmlstory.html

Regardless of the original order, obstruction is the focus now. That's been the case since at least the time Trump first broached the possibility of firing Sessions.

'‘Prepared for war’: As Mueller moves to finalize obstruction report, Trump’s allies ready for political battle

By Carol D. Leonnig, Robert Costa
June 16, 2018 at 2:06 PM

snip

'The confidential obstruction report, which would be delivered to Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein, is expected to contain the prosecutors’ conclusions about whether Trump engaged in any criminal wrongdoing by trying to derail the investigation into his campaign’s contact with Russians, according to the people.

The filing of the report could trigger a political firestorm over whether to make the special counsel’s findings public — just as this fall’s midterm campaign season kicks off.'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/politics/prepared-for-war-as-mueller-moves-to-finalize-obstruction-report-trumps-allies-ready-for-political-battle/2018/06/16/ec3a4cfe-650c-11e8-a69c-b944de66d9e7_story.html?noredirect=on

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 09:55:53 pm »
Mueller has said nothing so no one knows what he has or doesn't have, and Trump/et al have been dumping on him for over a year, no wonder support for him is less than when he started.

Offline edpc

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 10:14:30 pm »
Regardless of the original order, obstruction is the focus now. That's been the case since at least the time Trump first broached the possibility of firing Sessions.

I guess I see it differently, since the indicted in the case all have to do with Russian contact.  Remember the case against Russians everyone said made Mueller a laughingstock?  It's still on.  When he filed a motion because the defendants weren't properly served, people here howled, because the defense team called it pettifoggery.  Oddly enough, defense counsel agreed in the next court session his client hadn't been properly served.  When Mueller applied for an exemption to the speedy trial rules on discovery grounds, defense counsel joined him.  Mueller then offered 2TB of data gathered to start.  Cambridge Analytica closed shop after they started being looked at for contact with Assange and the former CEO withdrew $8M for himself.  Within the last week, Stone and Caputo had sudden recollection of a Russian that offered Clinton dirt for $2M in return in 2016.  They conveniently forgot about him during their congressional testimony.  Manafort had attempted to re-establish his Russian/Ukrainian contacts during the campaign.  He communicated with Kilimnik to see how he could be 'made whole' again with an oligarch.  Earlier this year, McClatchy reported there was evidence Cohen had indeed met with Russians in Prague.  We know Cohen received money from Russians through his Eessential Consultants LLC.  Everyone says Mueller has produced nothing.  Well, we don't have the full story, yet, but it's not exactly nothing.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:15:10 pm by edpc »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 10:24:11 pm »
Within the last week, Stone and Caputo had sudden recollection of a Russian that offered Clinton dirt for $2M in return in 2016.  They conveniently forgot about him during their congressional testimony. 

That Russian being Henry Oknyansky, a felon and an FBI informant for 17 years who somehow obtained a visa to visit the US, by the way. An interesting story in and of itself.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:24:53 pm by skeeter »

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 10:30:50 pm »

I guess I see it differently, since the indicted in the case all have to do with Russian contact.  Remember the case against Russians everyone said made Mueller a laughingstock?  It's still on.  When he filed a motion because the defendants weren't properly served, people here howled, because the defense team called it pettifoggery.  Oddly enough, defense counsel agreed in the next court session his client hadn't been properly served.  When Mueller applied for an exemption to the speedy trial rules on discovery grounds, defense counsel joined him.  Mueller then offered 2TB of data gathered to start.  Cambridge Analytica closed shop after they started being looked at for contact with Assange and the former CEO withdrew $8M for himself.  Within the last week, Stone and Caputo had sudden recollection of a Russian that offered Clinton dirt for $2M in return in 2016.  They conveniently forgot about him during their congressional testimony.  Manafort had attempted to re-establish his Russian/Ukrainian contacts during the campaign.  He communicated with Kilimnik to see how he could be 'made whole' again with an oligarch.  Earlier this year, McClatchy reported there was evidence Cohen had indeed met with Russians in Prague.  We know Cohen received money from Russians through his Eessential Consultants LLC.  Everyone says Mueller has produced nothing.  Well, we don't have the full story, yet, but it's not exactly nothing.

What did you make of the WaPo article I linked? Do you theorize that someone is feeding WaPo disinformation and they're lapping it up, or do you think they're just making up lies out of thin air and publishing them? [I.e.: according to that article and many mos worth of similar articles, obstruction is the focus of Mueller's investigation against Trump.]

Offline edpc

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 10:43:40 pm »
That Russian being Henry Oknyansky, a felon and an FBI informant for 17 years who somehow obtained a visa to visit the US, by the way. An interesting story in and of itself.

It is an interesting story and I'd like to hear why Stone and Caputo had amnesia until recently.  You'd think with all the Russia talk during the last part of the campaign and in the immediate aftermath of the election, a Russian asking for $2M would kind of stand out in your mind, no matter what his background.  Interestingly, Felix Sater has been close to Trump and has been a US intelligence asset for years.

Offline edpc

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 10:44:46 pm »

What did you make of the WaPo article I linked? Do you theorize that someone is feeding WaPo disinformation and they're lapping it up, or do you think they're just making up lies out of thin air and publishing them? [I.e.: according to that article and many mos worth of similar articles, obstruction is the focus of Mueller's investigation against Trump.]

I had not checked it, since I assumed there would be a pay wall. I will see if it links cleanly later.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 10:50:00 pm »

It is an interesting story and I'd like to hear why Stone and Caputo had amnesia until recently.  You'd think with all the Russia talk during the last part of the campaign and in the immediate aftermath of the election, a Russian asking for $2M would kind of stand out in your mind, no matter what his background.  Interestingly, Felix Sater has been close to Trump and has been a US intelligence asset for years.

Aren't you interested in finding out why a known FBI informer approached the Trump campaign with such an offer in the first place?

Especially as the FBI has said any involvement they had with the Trump people was intended to head off Russian interference in the election?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:55:08 pm by skeeter »

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 10:51:13 pm »

Earlier this year, McClatchy reported there was evidence Cohen had indeed met with Russians in Prague.  We know Cohen received money from Russians through his Eessential Consultants LLC. 

That McClatchy story is questionable at best:

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/apr/16/robert-mueller-many-news-stories-trump-russia-prob/

Offline edpc

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 11:02:58 pm »
Aren't you interested in finding out why a known FBI informer approached the Trump campaign with such an offer in the first place?

Especially as the FBI has said any involvement they had with the Trump people was intended to head off Russian interference in the election?

Did I not agree it was an interesting story?  If I was unclear, yes, I’d like to find out more about him.  As I mentioned, he wouldn’t be the first US asset in the Trump orbit.

Offline edpc

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 11:09:26 pm »

That McClatchy story is questionable at best:

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/apr/16/robert-mueller-many-news-stories-trump-russia-prob/

They were the only ones to have it, so I did take that into consideration.  They said they had a long time reliable source and stand by it.  That’s their credibility and call to make.

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 11:19:28 pm »

They were the only ones to have it, so I did take that into consideration.  They said they had a long time reliable source and stand by it.  That’s their credibility and call to make.

It was a different Michael Cohen:

'If that’s not bad enough, CNN has a report out this morning that a “Michael Cohen” did travel to Prague at the time stated in the report, but it wasn’t Trump’s Michael Cohen. The Prague Cohen had a passport for a different country,  but the same birth year as the Trump Cohen:'

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/01/11/lol-it-was-a-different-michael-cohen-that-was-in-prague/