Author Topic: Dinosaurs Could Barely Use Their Tongues  (Read 1669 times)

rangerrebew

Dinosaurs Could Barely Use Their Tongues
« on: June 22, 2018, 02:34:16 pm »
Dinosaurs Could Barely Use Their Tongues

They were more like alligators than birds in this case.
By David Grossman   
Jun 20, 2018

So many initial perceptions of what dinosaurs looked like have proved to be wrong, and now another can be added to the pile. Many dinosaurs, including the famed T. Rex according to a new study, couldn't stick their tongues out.

That's a notable difference from how dinos are typically portrayed, movies like Jurassic World are often keen to show velociraptors and others with fully functioning tongues. Even though dinosaurs are ancestors to birds, this biological difference shows how evolution has played a role in animals that populate the world today.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/animals/a21730902/dinosaurs-could-barely-use-their-tongues/
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 02:35:03 pm by rangerrebew »

Silver Pines

Re: Dinosaurs Could Barely Use Their Tongues
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 11:27:54 am »
Am I the only person who thinks that roaring, rampaging T-Rexes are purely a Hollywood creation?  Why do we think a lizard would roar, no matter how large he was?

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 12:15:55 pm »
Not gonna go there  **nononono* :nometalk:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 12:55:09 pm »
So,you are saying there were no French dinosaurs?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 12:56:56 pm »
Am I the only person who thinks that roaring, rampaging T-Rexes are purely a Hollywood creation?  Why do we think a lizard would roar, no matter how large he was?

@CatherineofAragon

I am guessing if you ever turned a corner and spotted a T-Rex hiding behind it ready to pounce,that you would be able to hear a roar. Even if it was in your head.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 01:27:34 pm »

There's a line of study that suggest dinosaurs were more like birds than lizards:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/77266/9-ways-dinosaurs-are-just-birds-amnhs-new-exhibition

God knows that chickens are certainly loud enough and they're obviously a much smaller scale.  So ... maybe?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Silver Pines

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 03:18:30 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

I am guessing if you ever turned a corner and spotted a T-Rex hiding behind it ready to pounce,that you would be able to hear a roar. Even if it was in your head.

@sneakypete

Lol, not gonna argue.

Silver Pines

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 03:20:32 pm »
There's a line of study that suggest dinosaurs were more like birds than lizards:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/77266/9-ways-dinosaurs-are-just-birds-amnhs-new-exhibition

God knows that chickens are certainly loud enough and they're obviously a much smaller scale.  So ... maybe?

@Polly Ticks

Yeeahhh....I do see that could be a point if you believe in the dinosaur/bird theory, but I just can't get behind it.  Personally, that is.

Silver Pines

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 03:21:11 pm »

Offline jpsb

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 03:22:39 pm »

Likely true of the two legged Dino, but not the sauropods. And birds can get pretty damn loud.

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 03:40:53 pm »
@Polly Ticks

Yeeahhh....I do see that could be a point if you believe in the dinosaur/bird theory, but I just can't get behind it.  Personally, that is.

Siberian Discovery Suggests Almost All Dinosaurs Were Feathered
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/07/140724-feathered-siberia-dinosaur-scales-science/

...Over the past two decades, discoveries in China have produced at least five species of feathered dinosaurs. But they all belonged to the theropod group of "raptor" dinosaurs, ancestors of modern birds.

Now in a discovery reported by an international team in the journal Science, the new dinosaur species, Kulindadromeus zabaikalicus (KOO-lin-dah-DRO-mee-us ZAH-bike-kal-ik-kuss), suggests that feathers were all in the family. That's because the newly unearthed 4.5-foot-long (1.5 meter) two-legged runner was an "ornithischian" beaked dinosaur, belonging to a group ancestrally distinct from past theropod discoveries....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Silver Pines

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 04:54:12 pm »
Siberian Discovery Suggests Almost All Dinosaurs Were Feathered
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/07/140724-feathered-siberia-dinosaur-scales-science/

...Over the past two decades, discoveries in China have produced at least five species of feathered dinosaurs. But they all belonged to the theropod group of "raptor" dinosaurs, ancestors of modern birds.

Now in a discovery reported by an international team in the journal Science, the new dinosaur species, Kulindadromeus zabaikalicus (KOO-lin-dah-DRO-mee-us ZAH-bike-kal-ik-kuss), suggests that feathers were all in the family. That's because the newly unearthed 4.5-foot-long (1.5 meter) two-legged runner was an "ornithischian" beaked dinosaur, belonging to a group ancestrally distinct from past theropod discoveries....

@thackney

You can find other studies that contradict it, though.  I don't personally believe it.

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 04:59:19 pm »
@thackney

You can find other studies that contradict it, though.  I don't personally believe it.

If you can point to one peer reviewed in the last decade or so, I would appreciate learning the info.

Silver Pines

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 05:10:11 pm »
If you can point to one peer reviewed in the last decade or so, I would appreciate learning the info.

@thackney

I've seen a few, but here's one from 2015, a year later than the article you posted.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jun/03/most-dinosaurs-had-scales-not-feathers-fossil-analysis-concludes

Uppsala University in Sweden working with the Natural History Museum in London and the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto.

Offline thackney

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 05:14:11 pm »
@thackney

I've seen a few, but here's one from 2015, a year later than the article you posted.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jun/03/most-dinosaurs-had-scales-not-feathers-fossil-analysis-concludes

Uppsala University in Sweden working with the Natural History Museum in London and the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto.

@CatherineofAragon

Thank you!

Offline thackney

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 05:16:44 pm »
@thackney

Uhmm, after reading the article, it appear to agree that birds did come from dinosaurs.

The first dinosaurs evolved from reptiles more than 230 million years ago. Feathers are thought to have arisen more than once in dinosaur lineages, and while they live on and give flight to modern birds

It just disagrees with the idea that all dinosaurs had feathers.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 05:17:40 pm by thackney »

Silver Pines

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 05:22:53 pm »
Uhmm, after reading the article, it appear to agree that birds did come from dinosaurs.

It just disagrees with the idea that all dinosaurs had feathers.

@thackney

Well, you know how it goes.  They changed their minds about feathers, so they may change their minds about birds.  That's science, it seems.  I don't buy that they came from birds.

Offline darroll

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 05:41:10 pm »
Banty Roosters are pretty tough.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 06:01:06 pm »

No tongues?   Tiny little hands?   No wonder they died out.   They had no fun of any kind.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 06:02:45 pm »

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 06:12:45 pm »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 07:07:30 pm »

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2018, 07:08:18 pm »

:rolling: :beer:
I stand with Roosgirl.