Author Topic: South Korean court outlaws killing dogs for their meat  (Read 727 times)

Offline Suppressed

South Korean court outlaws killing dogs for their meat
« on: June 21, 2018, 08:24:04 pm »
South Korean court outlaws killing dogs for their meat
By Gabrielle Fonrouge     June 21, 2018 | 9:54am
https://nypost.com/2018/06/21/south-korean-court-outlaws-killing-dogs-for-their-meat/

A South Korean court ruled for the first time that it’s illegal to kill dogs for their meat, a decision that activists hope will pave the way to making the controversial practice illegal, reports said.

Long shrouded in a gray area of cultural relativism, eating dogs has become a taboo in the country as younger generations gravitate closer to the Western belief that a pooch is man’s best friend, rather than a tasty delicacy, according to AFP.

Still, lawmakers have hesitated to outright ban the practice and have instead acted with weaker regulatory laws, such as hygiene regulations or measures that ban cruel slaughter methods, the outlet said.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: South Korean court outlaws killing dogs for their meat
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 08:44:50 pm »
I'm of the mind that if you are eating it, it doesn't matter what it is as long as it ain't humans. All the elevation of animals only lowers the value of real human life.

If you want to eat cat, rat, bug, dog or pink unicorns and there is an abundance of them, knock yourself out. Just because you find something offensive does not mean it overrules their values in food choices.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 09:00:30 pm »
When I was there we would see skinned dogs in the markets. Not many people ate it though.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 09:04:33 pm »
I'm of the mind that if you are eating it, it doesn't matter what it is as long as it ain't humans. All the elevation of animals only lowers the value of real human life.

If you want to eat cat, rat, bug, dog or pink unicorns and there is an abundance of them, knock yourself out. Just because you find something offensive does not mean it overrules their values in food choices.

Some animals are more equal than others.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 09:08:40 pm »
I've spoken to people who live through the Korean war and the aftermath.   People were eating grass to survive.  So yeah at that point ole Fido would look pretty good.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 03:27:10 am »
Some animals are more equal than others.

Was that a quote from The updated animal farm staring Babe.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 04:02:03 am »
I must be having an acid flashback here.....

A South Korean court ruled for the first time that it’s illegal to kill dogs for their meat, a decision that activists hope will pave the way to making the controversial practice illegal, reports said.

So let me get this straight. Activists are hoping that an activity will become illegal now that it has been made illegal? WTF?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 04:09:24 am »
I must be having an acid flashback here.....

So let me get this straight. Activists are hoping that an activity will become illegal now that it has been made illegal? WTF?

Bad translation

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 04:17:12 am »
Bad translation

My dentist has that exact sign on all of his chairs. Maybe I should find a new dentist.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."