Author Topic: Kamala Harris: Detaining Illegal Families Together Is Also Unacceptable  (Read 662 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: HOTAIR

URL: https://hotair.com/archives/2018/06/20/kamala-harris-detaining-illegal-families-together-also-unacceptable/

by AllahPundit

Child separation was bad policy but ultimately a red herring. It’s always been about open borders.

This Executive Order doesn’t fix the crisis. Indefinitely detaining children with their families in camps is inhumane and will not make us safe.

— Kamala Harris (@SenKamalaHarris) June 20, 2018

How soft do you have to be on immigration to piss off Marco Rubio? Now we know:

The ink isn’t even dry on the new executive order ending separation policy & some Democrats already arguing that keeping families together isn’t enough. Now they want them & their parents released after unlawful entry knowing full well that high % will never appear for hearing

— Marco Rubio (@marcorubio) June 20, 2018

Catch-and-release, now and forever. For background on the legal nuts and bolts here, I’d direct you to — wait for it — Vox. (Really. Their immigration reporter, Dara Lind, knows her stuff.) Trump’s caught in a bind on detaining families of illegals: Because of the Ninth Circuit’s ruling in Flores v. Reno and subsequent cases, the feds can hold adults indefinitely but children must be transferred out of DHS custody within 20 days. If you insist on keeping families together then the whole unit needs to go free, just like Kamala Harris wants. Catch-and-release. By separating children from parents, Trump could keep both groups detained — parents stay with law enforcement, kids head over to shelters provided by HHS. But now that the separation policy has been undone via executive order, if POTUS insists on keeping families together then, well…

Second, this is the key provision: The Secretary. . .shall, to the extent permitted by law and subject to the availability of appropriations, maintain custody of alien families during the pendency of any criminal improper entry or immigration proceedings involving their members.

— David French (@DavidAFrench) June 20, 2018

“The extent permitted by law” is Flores. In other words, DHS can hold families for 20 days. Then they’re out, according to Trump’s own order. (Gabe Malor agrees with French’s reading.) The obvious solution is to override Flores. Congress could pass a law extending the time for family detention or DHS could issue new regulations or, of course, the Ninth Circuit could overrule Flores itself. The only viable option of those three, it seems, are new DHS regulations — but that’ll take time, as Lind notes, and they’ll be attacked ferociously in court. How hard would it be for amnesty fans to find a federal judge willing to rule that family detention for, say, three months is a violation of due process?

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL. Trump just called their shit and now they are screwed.

Offline SirLinksALot

Offline dfwgator

"I believe that children are our future,  teach them well and let them lead the way....."

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Kamala Harris:
"Children are our nation's future. We must listen to them about what they care about and give them a voice in our government"

Fishrrman:
No, Kamala.
Illegal alien children ARE NOT and SHOULD NOT be part of "our nation's future".
They shouldn't even be here. If apprehended here, they should be returned to their countries of origin, along with their parents.

And NO children -- even those of Americans - should have "a voice" in our government.
That is the province of educated adults.
No Lord of the Flies here, thank you very much.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I believe that children are our future,  teach them well and let them lead the way....."

Not to be found face down in a water-filled bathtub with drug paraphernalia and a fat rail of coke near by.......
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Detaining Illegal Families Together Is Also Unacceptable 

I agree.

Send them home together.  Now.

Offline mrclose

So in 2014-- to deal with the spike then with the families-- we did a number of things; including by the way, working with the government of Mexico and obtaining their cooperation on securing their southern border, uh, but we also expanded family detention, which was, I freely admit, controversial.

Former Secretary Of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self