Author Topic: Trump directs Pentagon to create a Space Force as a separate military branch  (Read 1584 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump directs Pentagon to create a Space Force as a separate military branch
by Travis J. Tritten
 | June 18, 2018 12:45 PM

President Trump said Monday that he has directed the Pentagon to immediately begin the process of creating a new Space Force military service, seemingly ending a drawn-out debate between the military and Congress over whether the move is necessary.

“I’m hereby directing the Department of Defense and Pentagon to immediately begin the process necessary to establish a Space Force as the sixth branch of the armed forces. That’s a big statement,” Trump said a meeting of the National Space Council at the White House. “We are going to have the Air Force and we are going to have the Space Force, separate but equal.”

The announcement comes as the Pentagon is still working to finish up studies on military operations in space including an independent review ordered by Congress on how it would create a new service focused on protecting the U.S. against growing space threats from countries such as China and Russia. The review is not slated to be turned over to lawmakers until December.

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis recently said it would be premature to create the new service without completing the review and fully understanding the issues facing the military in space.

The Air Force, which handles about 80 percent of the military's space operations, strongly opposed the idea of a Space Force when it was introduced by House lawmakers last year, saying it would just add unneeded bureaucracy. Since Trump came out in favor of the idea earlier this year, service leaders have said they are open to new ideas on how to handle space.

The Air Force referred all requests for comment to the Defense Department.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/trump-directs-pentagon-to-create-a-space-force-as-a-separate-military-branch
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline thackney

Please, oh please, name them "Space Rangers".

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Please, oh please, name them "Space Rangers".

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Wouldn't this require Congress?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Oh goodie, Trump now wants to go to Space and do reality TV up there too.

Well, if Trump is gonna do space - might as well do it right.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline WingNot

Please don't ping Quix.  I beg of you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Speaking at a meeting of the National Space Council, Trump ordered the Pentagon to immediately establish a national “space force” that would become the sixth branch of the armed forces.

“We are going to have a space force,” Trump said in Washington D.C. “An Air Force and a Space Force. Separate, but equal.”

This is not the first time that Trump has floated the idea of establishing a “space force.” The president mentioned the idea in May during a ceremony at the White House honoring the Army Black Knights college football team.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/18/trump-orders-establishment-space-force-as-6th-branch-military.amp.html
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 07:03:19 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline WingNot

You are late to the party.   Been posted.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
He is going to need Congress to approve this, especially as we are still under the The Outer Space Treaty of 1967 which bans militarizing space, including "nonarmament" agreements with most major first world nations.

Not saying this isn't the right thing for the future, but he can't just order these things.

Offline kevindavis007

He is going to need Congress to approve this, especially as we are still under the The Outer Space Treaty of 1967 which bans militarizing space, including "nonarmament" agreements with most major first world nations.

Not saying this isn't the right thing for the future, but he can't just order these things.

I agree about Congress, however, The OST of 1967 is kinda useless.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Offline rustynail

Space Cadets.

Offline endicom

Topics merged.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

It's not going to be much fun for guys to march in Trump's parade, wearing these.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:44:26 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

rangerrebew

Trump orders creation of ‘Space Force’ as sixth military branch

June 18, 2018 Melissa Leon

President Donald Trump on Monday directed the Pentagon to begin the process of establishing a sixth military branch, the “Space Force.”

Trump, speaking at a meeting of the National Space Council, ordered the establishment of the Space Force.
Our new media outlet SITREP: China is exclusively reporting on China's military and global expansion.
Go like the Facebook page now!

“I am hereby directing the Department of Defense and Pentagon to immediately begin the process necessary to establish a Space Force as the sixth branch of the Armed Forces,” Trump said. “Our destiny beyond the Earth is not only a matter of national identity, but a matter of national security.”

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2018/06/breaking-trump-orders-creation-of-space-force-as-sixth-military-branch/

Offline WingNot

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Mod5

Topics Merged.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
..and on top of that...

What part of $21 Trillion in debt is so hard to understand?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
..and on top of that...

What part of $21 Trillion in debt is so hard to understand?

It's hard to get the people who think they can create it out of thin air or that it grows on trees to comprehend the idea of debt. 

After all, who needs to worry about trillions when we have bail-outs and welfare on tap?

Online roamer_1

It's hard to get the people who think they can create it out of thin air or that it grows on trees to comprehend the idea of debt. 

After all, who needs to worry about trillions when we have bail-outs and welfare on tap?

Right. Too big to fail.  **nononono*

Offline WingNot

Our investment in an open North Korea economy will more than cover our new beautiful Space Force Ranger costs.   NOKO will be our new China.  We need to exploit emerging virgin 3rd world countries.  China is old news.  So "Myspace" so to speak.