Author Topic: Jordan Peterson and Conservatism’s Rebirth  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Jordan Peterson and Conservatism’s Rebirth
« on: June 17, 2018, 05:20:36 pm »
This is an excellent article, and particularly appropriate for Fathers' Day.

The psychologist and YouTube star has brought the concepts of order and tradition back to our intellectual discourse.
By Yoram Hazony
June 15, 2018 6:32 p.m. ET

Jordan Peterson doesn’t seem to think of himself as a conservative. Yet there he is, standing in the space once inhabited by conservative thinkers such as G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, Russell Kirk, William F. Buckley Jr. and Irving Kristol. Addressing a public that seems incapable of discussing anything but freedom, Mr. Peterson presents himself unmistakably as a philosophical advocate of order. His bestselling book, “12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos,” makes sense of ideas like the “hierarchy of place, position and authority,” as well as people’s most basic attachments to “tribe, religion, hearth, home and country” and “the flag of the nation.” The startling success of his elevated arguments for the importance of order has made him the most significant conservative thinker to appear in the English-speaking world in a generation. ...

Departing from the prevailing Marxist and liberal doctrines, Mr. Peterson relentlessly maintains that the hierarchical structure of society is hard-wired into human nature and therefore inevitable: “The dominance hierarchy, however social or cultural it might appear, has been around for some half a billion years. It’s permanent.” Moreover, young men and women (but especially men) tend to be healthy and productive only when they have found their place working their way up a hierarchy they respect. When they fail to do so, they become rudderless and sick, worthless to those around them, sometimes aimlessly violent. ...

Like other conservative thinkers before him, Mr. Peterson’s interest in tradition flows from an appreciation of the weakness of the individual’s capacity for reason. We all think we understand a great deal, he tells his readers, but this is an illusion. What we perceive instead is a “radical, functional, unconscious simplification of the world—and it’s almost impossible for us not to mistake it for the world itself.” ...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/jordan-peterson-and-conservatisms-rebirth-1529101961?emailToken=20181ea431646355ba52686e03661e7a2YF6EQPngamS+5zJwIQPapojDgJ9qKWaOcwWmhBlHiEQw4dW70jULWcwjlD93qs4RB/k7pUJdFNSVH2J59+XKHvwHcPvCw02x4PJ6+8lSmY=

There is so much in this essay, but because we have to excerpt, I've just posted a few of the thoughts. 

If you aren't very familiar with Peterson, there are many Youtubes available for free.  Just dive in.  The world will be a better place for it.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Jordan Peterson and Conservatism’s Rebirth
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 05:56:23 pm »
This is an excellent article, and particularly appropriate for Fathers' Day.

There is so much in this essay, but because we have to excerpt, I've just posted a few of the thoughts. 

If you aren't very familiar with Peterson, there are many Youtubes available for free.  Just dive in.  The world will be a better place for it.

Thanks @Sanguine  but the article is behind a pay wall for me so I can't read it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 06:00:17 pm »
Thanks @Sanguine  but the article is behind a pay wall for me so I can't read it.

Darn.  I was afraid of that.  Someone sent me the link, so I could read it but I couldn't tell if it was behind the paywall or not.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 06:38:58 pm »
Peterson, like most members of the IDW (or other YouTube Talkers-vloggers))self-identify as libertarians or Classical Liberals.

Written articles are not the best way to hear from them.  Longer formats, like lectures and interviews (on Youtube and/or their own podcasts) are the best avenues to learn what is going on. 

@Sanguine @Bigun

This forum (Hub?) could set itself apart, with a separate section for such video format material.   
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:39:20 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 06:44:15 pm »
Darn.  I was afraid of that.  Someone sent me the link, so I could read it but I couldn't tell if it was behind the paywall or not.

Doesn't this belong in "Editorial/Opinion"?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 07:11:36 pm »
Peterson, like most members of the IDW (or other YouTube Talkers-vloggers))self-identify as libertarians or Classical Liberals.

Written articles are not the best way to hear from them.  Longer formats, like lectures and interviews (on Youtube and/or their own podcasts) are the best avenues to learn what is going on. 

@Sanguine @Bigun

This forum (Hub?) could set itself apart, with a separaate section for such video format material.

You know I agree with that, @truth_seeker.  Do you think that there would be enough interest?

Online corbe

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 07:22:32 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 07:40:27 pm »
   Try Here.

https://thedeepstate.com/jordan-peterson/

Thanks, @corbe.  What did you think of it?

@Bigun, here is a link to this article, not on WSJ.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 07:41:14 pm »
   Try Here.

https://thedeepstate.com/jordan-peterson/

Thanks @corbe and @Sanguine

That so full of great material I would not know which part to quote first.  You just need to read the entire piece.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 08:00:13 pm »
Thanks @corbe and @Sanguine

That so full of great material I would not know which part to quote first.  You just need to read the entire piece.

And, that piece just scratches the surface.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 08:16:55 pm »
You know I agree with that, @truth_seeker.  Do you think that there would be enough interest?
I don't make any claim about a level of interest, by anybody but me.

I have enjoyed Scott Adams, a lot. (Just listened to Adams clean the clock, of Sam Harris, on Harris' own podcast)

Another, Candice Owens, is the young woman, that Kanye West remarked about "liking her thinking."  Words and images like Owens, West, Rodman may well push 2020 GOP black votes up 1-5% .

Maybe an answer is: Anybody hat is interested can find out about them, find them online, and decide to listen.
@Sanguine

I'll conclude with this: They interview each other, and they interview others.  Dave Rubin interviewed Larry Elder and Thomas Sowell. The formats yield longer, more complete discussions.

Jordan B. Peterson YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/JordanPetersonVideos

Other names associated with IDW (not limited to)

Joe Rogan, Dave Rubin, Stefan Molyneux, Ben Shapiro, Eric Weinstin, Bret Weinstein, Candice Owens, Tommy Sotomayer, Sam Harris, Niall Ferguson, Steven Pinker, Majid, Nawaz  Douglas Murray, Russel Brand, Andrew Sullivan, Dennis Prager, Dinesh D' Sousa, Gad Saad, 

@Sanguine
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 12:57:31 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online corbe

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 08:24:10 pm »
   That's the first I've ever heard of Peterson @Sanguine
   A very intense, enlightening read.  Thanks for sharing. 

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:24:42 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 03:31:17 am »
I really enjoyed Jesse's show, especially when Ben Shapiro and a few other guests were on. It's still on newsmax in the morning.

! No longer available