Author Topic: Why It Is Good for Trump To Challenge the International Trade Establishment  (Read 3697 times)

Offline endicom

American Thinker
Jeffrey Ludwig
June 16, 2018

Since the election of Pres. Trump, commentators have been asking repeatedly why he seems so cordial or complimentary of leaders of countries many consider to be "enemy countries" – especially the People's Republics of China and Russia – while being irritated with our neighbors and friends, especially on the economic front.  Early on in his presidency, he indicted NATO members for not paying 2% of GDP for support of NATO.  And in fact, only five of the 28 members are meeting that benchmark.

Then, in a memorable speech from the Rose Garden on June 1, 2017, Trump withdrew the USA from the Paris Climate Accord.  Students of the accord will understand that it is part of the globalist agenda thrusting toward a one-world government.  In addition to presenting a host of specific reasons for leaving based on a lack of equity in the accord, he also stated, "And exiting the agreement protects the United States from future intrusions on the United States' sovereignty and massive future legal liability."

Most recently, he left the G7 meeting in Canada early and refused to sign the final communiqué that was issued, citing offense at the comments made by Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau, which were publicly deemed to be a verbal stab in the back.  The president announced increased tariffs on aluminum and steel from Canada and that there would be a variety of tariff hikes on G7 exports to the U.S.

More... https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2018/06/why_it_is_good_for_trump_to_challenge_the_international_trade_establishment.html

Offline endicom

This guy gets it.

Offline aligncare

I gotta be honest, my eyes glaze over when the subject turns to trade and tariffs. That’s why I’m fine with letting Trump be Trump in this. I have confidence he’s got America’s best interest in mind, and with his business degree from Wharton and his 40 years running an international corporation, I trust that trade is one area where President Trump has a fairly good grasp of the economics involved.

Offline Applewood

It's fine for a president to look out for America when it comes to trade.  In fact, it seems we have had far too many presidents who have given up US interests in favor of others.  I just object to Trump's tough guy, bullying approach, particularly with our allies.  Trump's heavy handiness is going to backfire, raise prices and ultimately mess up our economy

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It's fine for a president to look out for America when it comes to trade.  In fact, it seems we have had far too many presidents who have given up US interests in favor of others.  I just object to Trump's tough guy, bullying approach, particularly with our allies.  Trump's heavy handiness is going to backfire, raise prices and ultimately mess up our economy

Perhaps.  Perhaps not.  We are going to find out.   That's certain.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I gotta be honest, my eyes glaze over when the subject turns to trade and tariffs. That’s why I’m fine with letting Trump be Trump in this. I have confidence he’s got America’s best interest in mind, and with his business degree from Wharton and his 40 years running an international corporation, I trust that trade is one area where President Trump has a fairly good grasp of the economics involved.

The most important thing he said at the G7 was that there should not be any tariffs and I hope that is indeed his ultimate destination.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

The most important thing he said at the G7 was that there should not be any tariffs and I hope that is indeed his ultimate destination.

Ideally, no tariffs. Nothing is ideal so there will be some. But we needn't be at the mercy of imagined experts, cloistered here and there. Those experts make things impossibly complex and to the benefit of whomever.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
To be sure, there are plenty of profitable industries and companies in America, with lobbyists taking all positions, often not in America's best interests.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline dfwgator

Ideally, no tariffs. Nothing is ideal so there will be some. But we needn't be at the mercy of imagined experts, cloistered here and there. Those experts make things impossibly complex and to the benefit of whomever.

We've never had "Free Trade",  not even close.

Offline endicom

We've never had "Free Trade",  not even close.

I love hate repeating myself but I'm for free-market economics while being against absolutes. You defeat yourself in insisting upon absolutes.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Yeah, like GWB has an MBA from Havard.  And, he had the country's best interests in mind.

That being said, I agree things need to be shaken up and more fair trade established.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:43:17 am by Sanguine »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
What most people don't understand is that our trade, namely our trade deficit, has run on for years. Mostly that's because the dollars we send out have come back in the form of investment, with the dollar being the world reserve currency and all.

That can't go on forever. China is making moves to end all that. We got to do something or risk becoming a backwater on the world stage.
The Republic is lost.

Offline endicom

What most people don't understand is that our trade, namely our trade deficit, has run on for years. Mostly that's because the dollars we send out have come back in the form of investment, with the dollar being the world reserve currency and all.

It concerns me that foreign entities would eventually hold the bulk of domestic investments.

Offline kevindavis007

Yeah, like GWB has an MBA from Havard.  And, he had the country's best interests in mind.

That being said, I agree things need to be shaken up and more fair trade established.

Sorry when it comes to economics there is no such thing as fairness.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline kevindavis007

It concerns me that foreign entities would eventually hold the bulk of domestic investments.

I would be concerned it foreign companies don't invest here in the US. In fact Reagan had no problem with it

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical

Then I guess the rest of the world will just have to suck it up if they don't like what Trump is doing.
The Republic is lost.

Offline endicom

I would be concerned it foreign companies don't invest here in the US. In fact Reagan had no problem with it

It can be good up to a certain point. Having the PRC controlling major corporations would be beyond a certain point.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Our current model makes that point.  That's why I mentioned fair trade.

Offline kevindavis007

Our current model makes that point.  That's why I mentioned fair trade.

Sorry I don't like the concept of paying extra so I can help a company that is failed to keep up. The American consumer is the biggest loser.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical

Sorry I don't like the concept of paying extra so I can help a company that is failed to keep up. The American consumer is the biggest loser.

I agree, foreign nations need to quit subsidizing and protecting their industries with tariffs and start living up to our regulatory standards.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

OK....and, I'm against that too. 

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
It seems he has read Philip Dru's book, Administrator.

I would certainly recommend adding it to your reading list.

Offline Concerned

Of course.  History is replete with examples where neither party wins with the establishment of tariffs and a trade war.  Any first year undergraduate economics student understands this (assuming they went to class and read the book).
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Applewood

I know no one here cares, but the Dow is down right now, thanks to Trump and his never-ending trade war.  I hope you all are watching your retirement nest eggs closely.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I know no one here cares, but the Dow is down right now, thanks to Trump and his never-ending trade war.  I hope you all are watching your retirement nest eggs closely.

@Applewood
The DOW is up over 3000 from this time a year ago.

Not that you care.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.