Author Topic: The Unconfined Life of Charles Krauthammer  (Read 525 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The Unconfined Life of Charles Krauthammer
« on: June 16, 2018, 12:11:05 am »
The Unconfined Life of Charles Krauthammer
Real Clear Politics, Jun 15, 2018, A.B. Stoddard

Charles Krauthammer once told me, “The way I look at life is that it's all an accident. Everything.” We were in the lobby of the Hall of States, blocks from the Capitol, having finished the “Special Report” panel upstairs at Fox News Channel. I was somewhat taken aback, though I knew immediately it would stay with me forever. Charles, after all, was looking up at me from his motorized wheelchair, confined to it for life after a freak accident at age 22 paralyzed him from the neck down. None of this is meant to be and there is no design, he said. We are all along for the ride, no matter the turns.

News that Charles now has weeks to live, that cancer will take him, was beyond my imagination. The rightful, peaceful ending was not in store. For Charles, whose life was forever altered by a knife-twist of fate, there would be yet another tragic accident. Speaking directly in a public letter, Charles was valiant as ever. He acknowledged a vicious and arbitrary cancer, which had been there but was gone a month ago, had returned for good, and said, “This is the final verdict. My fight is over.”

Charles, like all heroes, leads us by his example. In Bret Baier’s extraordinary 2013 Fox News special on Krauthammer, “A Life That Matters,” Charles’ describes his diving accident, and his refusal to dwell on it. His staggering resolve led him to finish medical school on time, while recovering in the hospital, with his lessons projected on the ceiling above. Putting off his studies would have been “fatal,” Charles told Bret. Years later Charles would begin driving again, while sitting in a wheelchair. He once explained this miraculous development to me, citing the man who engineered a customized car for him, in riveting detail. His retelling revealed just what this path back to freedom meant, and what it felt like. Charles was smiling and exuberant and I held back tears, hoping he wouldn’t notice me choke up.

Being on the “Special Report” panel every week with Charles, from May of 2009 until August of 2017, was an honor and a privilege. He had a singular presence there, a towering intellect free of arrogance. But alongside his warmth and calm and ease, Charles concentrated intently because he cared deeply about his contribution to the topic at hand and the words millions would hang on. To focus himself, sometimes he mumbled quietly in French before we went live.

More:  https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2018/06/15/the_unconfined_life_of_charles_krauthammer_137287.html

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: The Unconfined Life of Charles Krauthammer
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 03:30:50 am »
Isn't he a paraplegic? His life sure seems interesting!
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 03:58:17 pm »

Yes @WarmPotato he is.  And his life, IMO,  is an amazing statement of the power of the human spirit.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 04:24:55 pm »
He is a Quad. Limited use of arms.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 04:32:29 pm »
He is a Quad. Limited use of arms.

Thanks ...