Author Topic: New wind turbines show high efficiency in low winds  (Read 505 times)

rangerrebew

New wind turbines show high efficiency in low winds
« on: June 13, 2018, 05:30:33 pm »
New wind turbines show high efficiency in low winds
June 12, 2018, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland

VTT Research Centre of Technology (VTT) has explored the potential and economic benefits of new wind power technology. The technology would greatly increase the benefits of wind energy and enable the competitive utilisation of wind power in Finland. Heavy investments are being made in wind power, which highlights the importance of this new and competitive technology. Wind power accounts for around 4 percent of global electricity consumption, and for over 10 percent in Europe.

VTT has investigated Finland's wind power potential and compared various generations of the related technology. Ground-based wind turbines are often built in open locations where there is sufficient wind. The problem is that low winds do not generate adequate power. However, new technology now enables higher towers and larger rotors, i.e. longer blades, than the previous wind turbine generation. The VTT research has revealed that next-generation wind turbines are also reasonably efficient in low winds. This will allow turbines to be located more freely in the future, for example in forested areas.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-06-turbines-high-efficiency.html#jCp

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: New wind turbines show high efficiency in low winds
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 11:39:24 am »
new and competitive technology

If it is so competitive, then why does it need a subsidy to operate and get built.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 09:02:36 pm »
If it is so competitive, then why does it need a subsidy to operate and get built.
Read the spin on all this so called competitive energy.  https://windeurope.org/wp-content/uploads/files/about-wind/statistics/WindEurope-Annual-Statistics-2017.pdf

If one reads between the lines, one realizes that since 85% of all new power installations are renewables, one 'Must be Competitive'.

Conveniently overlooked is the subsidy these renewables command.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 09:11:13 pm »
What this means is they've saturated the market for windmills so they need to convince everyone they need to upgrade.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 10:47:52 pm »
What this means is they've saturated the market for windmills so they need to convince everyone they need to upgrade.
I thought it meant they had developed a way to chop up even more birds at a lower speed.