Author Topic: Wow: Supreme Court Delivers Huge Ruling On Dem Governor’s Order Giving Felons Voting Rights  (Read 693 times)

rangerrebew

Wow: Supreme Court Delivers Huge Ruling On Dem Governor’s Order Giving Felons Voting Rights
June 11, 2018 Martin

The Supreme Court of Virginia has ruled that Democrat Gov. Terry McAuliffe’s executive order restoring the “right to vote” of more than 200,000 felons was illegal and unconstitutional.

According to Fox News, Virginia’s highest court ruled on Friday that the Democrat governor overstepped his authority and should not have allowed tens of thousands of felons the right to vote.

https://ilovemyfreedom.org/just-in-supreme-court-delivers-huge-ruling-on-dem-governors-order-giving-felons-voting-rights/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=postup

Offline Slide Rule

Looks like the Supremes are back to being Supreme.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Liberals are going to be pissed about this.

Offline goatprairie

I know the Dems are big on this believing most felons will vote for them. Supposed fairness towards felons has nothing to do with their advocacy for giving them the vote. It's a typical, cynical Dem ploy to get more votes.
 But I remember reading somewhere that jailbirds are about the least likely voters among the general population.
But the Dems will gladly take votes from felons, illegal aliens, and dead people if it means staying in power.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 01:06:39 pm by goatprairie »

Offline thackney

I know the Dems are big on this believing most felons will vote for them. Supposed fairness towards felons has nothing to do with their advocacy for giving them the vote. It's a typical, cynical Dem ploy to get more votes.
 But I remember reading somewhere that jailbirds are about the least likely voters among the general population.
But the Dems will gladly take votes from felons, illegal aliens, and dead people if it means staying in power.

I only see this ruling as preventing the governor from trying to make his own laws. 

I don't see the topic of the "law" as an issue as it is rather common in many states.  But laws are to be made by the legislature, not the governor.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/felon-voting-rights.aspx

In Maine and Vermont, felons never lose their right to vote, even while they are incarcerated.

In 14 states and the District of Columbia, felons lose their voting rights only while incarcerated, and receive automatic restoration upon release.

In 21 states, felons lose their voting rights during incarceration, and for a period of time after, typically while on parole and/or probation. Voting rights are automatically restored after this time period. Former felons may also have to pay any outstanding fines, fees or restitution before their rights are restored as well.

In 13 states felons lose their voting rights indefinitely for some crimes, or require a governor’s pardon in order for voting rights to be restored, or face an additional waiting period after completion of sentence (including parole and probation) before voting rights can be restored.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:52:07 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Who brought this suit forward?  Time to send a check.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

Who brought this suit forward?  Time to send a check.

Republican lawmakers swiftly sued, arguing that governors cannot restore rights en masse but must consider each former offender's case individually.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/07/22/virginia-high-court-strikes-down-govs-order-giving-felons-right-to-vote.html

- - - - - - - - -

In May, William J. Howell, the speaker of the Virginia House of Delegates, Thomas K. Norment Jr., the majority leader of the State Senate, and four other registered voters petitioned the court to cancel the registrations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/23/us/virginia-felony-supreme-court.html

However, it is a limited victory since:

In a statement on Friday night, the governor said he would sign nearly 13,000 individual orders to restore voter registration rights and would continue to sign orders until he accounted for all 200,000. “My faith remains strong in all of our citizens to choose their leaders, and I am prepared to back up that faith with my executive pen,” he said.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Been a bad couple of days for the Dem vote scammers.
The Republic is lost.