Author Topic: USA & No Korea Summit LIVE THREAD  (Read 34629 times)

Oceander

Re: USA & No Korea Summit LIVE THREAD
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2018, 01:32:23 pm »
I'll bet you've got Robert DiNiro on an infinite loop.

Why?  I haven’t dissed Trump in all this.  I just his idiotic worshippers who are reading way more into this than what actually happened. 

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2018, 01:32:23 pm »
Not if they don’t have any concrete terms that can be enforced.  Where are the enforceable obligations in this “letter of intent”?

@Oceander
How do  you get to something enforceable?   What is the first step?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2018, 01:33:09 pm »
I see this as a very positive first step and particular so IF Trump follows through with the no concessions till it's all done thing. I nor anyone else can possibly know what the final outcome will be right now but something is always better than nothing.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2018, 01:33:40 pm »
@Oceander
How do  you get to something enforceable?   What is the first step?

Are there any concrete enforceable promises in this agreement?  Yes or no.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2018, 01:34:01 pm »
Trump, Kim sign denuclearization deal in 'new chapter'
By Rebecca Kheel and Jordan Fabian - 06/12/18 01:50 AM EDT

President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un signed an agreement Tuesday committing the United States to unspecified “security guarantees” in exchange for a denuclearized Korean peninsula, as Trump said the two were ready "to write a new chapter" between the nations.

The agreement and a surprise decision by Trump to call off joint military exercises with South Korea capped an historic summit that represented the first ever meeting between a U.S. president and a North Korean leader.

“I think our whole relationship with North Korea and the Korean peninsula is going to be a very different situation than it has in the past,” Trump said at a signing ceremony on the agreement.

“We’ve developed a very special bond,” he said of his relationship with Kim.

Trump added that he would “absolutely” invite Kim to the White House to continue their talks.

Kim called the document “historic” and said it would lead to a new era in the U.S.-North Korea relationship.

“We had a historic meeting and decided to leave the past behind, and we are about to sign a historic document,” he said through a translator. “The world will see a major change.”

Kim also thanked Trump for making “this meeting happen.”

Photos of Trump at the signing ceremony holding up the document, which was not immediately released to the press, revealed its contents.

President Trump committed to provide security guarantees to [North Korea], and Chairman Kim Jong Un reaffirmed his firm and unwavering commitment to the complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula," the statement said.

Trump called the document “pretty comprehensive” despite its lack of specifics.

“I think both sides are going to be impressed with the result,” Trump told reporters. “We’re going to take care of a very big and very dangerous problem for the world.”

The statement touts the “great significance” of the “epochal event” of the first ever U.S-North Korea summit, adding it will help the “opening of a new future.”

The document does not elaborate on what steps the United States will take to guarantee North Korea’s security, nor does it lay out the steps North Korea will need to take to denuclearize.

It does commit to holding further negotiations led by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and a “relevant” North Korean official at “the earliest date possible.”

The statement refers to denuclearization of the entire Korean peninsula, North Korea’s favored language. And while the United States in the past has demanded so-called CVID — or complete, verifiable, irreversible denuclearization — the statement does not include the words “verifiable” and “irreversible.”

Asked at press conference later Tuesday whether the exclusion of those two words was a concession, Trump said “not at all.”

Trump and Kim agreed to four broad commitments, according to the signed document: to establish new U.S.-North Korean relations “in accordance with the desire of the peoples of the two countries for peace and prosperity;” to join “efforts to build a lasting and stable peace” on the peninsula;” to reaffirm the declaration Kim signed at his summit with South Korea’s president; and to recover the remains of Americans lost or killed during the Korean War.

At the press conference, Trump in particular touted the commitment on repatriating Korean War remains, saying he had received "countless calls" and letters from asking for help on the issue.

“The remains will be coming back," Trump said. "They’re going to start that process immediately.”

The signing ceremony concluded a summit that appeared impossible just one year ago, when both men's threats against each other fueled a growing nuclear crisis.

Trump had mocked the North Korean leader as "Little Rocket Man" as the two exchanged barbs over their weapons programs. Kim responded by dismissing the president as a "mentally deranged dotard" who would "pay dearly" for his threats against Pyongyang.

Trump and Kim, however, appeared to have a friendly rapport during their day together at the Singapore island resort.

"The past worked as fetters on our limbs, and the old prejudices and practices worked as obstacles on our way forward. But we overcame all of them, and we are here today," Kim said through a translator as the two met for the first time.

The pair shook hands and met in a one-on-one setting before conferring with aides. The president even showed the North Korean leader the inside of his limousine after their sessions were over. 

“It's going great. We had a really fantastic meeting. A lot of progress. Really, very positive, I think better than anybody could have expected, top of the line, really good,” Trump said after a working lunch with Kim.

Despite the optimistic rhetoric, the summit did not produce an ironclad nuclear agreement or a peace treaty to end the Korean War — two possibilities Trump raised ahead of the talks.

“We’re starting that process very quickly. Very, very quickly. Absolutely,” Trump said at the signing ceremony when asked by reporters if Kim had agreed to denuclearize.

At the press conference later, Trump also said he knows "for a fact" that Kim is going to "start a process" when returns home that will "make a lot of people very happy and very safe."

“I don’t think they’ve ever had the confidence, frankly, in a president that they have right now for getting things done and having the ability to get things done,” Trump said. “I think he might want to do this as much or even more than me because they see a very bright future for North Korea.”

Pompeo told reporters it would provide a “framework” for future negotiations.

Critics had said a summit that ended without a declaration on denuclearization would amount to a propaganda win for Kim, elevating him to legitimacy on the international stage.

Regional experts are also skeptical Kim will give up any of his weapons regardless of his declarations, saying the Kim family playbook is for the regime to make promises, drag out its efforts to carry out those pledges as it gets concessions and then later renege altogether.

Trump had lowered expectations for the results of the summit in the last couple weeks, saying it was the start of a process meant for the two leaders to get to know each other. The change in tone came after Trump first canceled the meeting, citing Kim’s “open hostility,” then decided to move forward after a visit to Washington by a high ranking North Korean official.

Analysts had expected both Trump and Kim to sell the summit as a success regardless of outcome since both have much at stake.

At the signing ceremony, Trump said he was “very proud” of what happened Tuesday and thanked Kim, reiterating that it was an “honor” to meet.

Trump did not answer a reporter's question on whether the two spoke about Otto Warmbier, the American student who died shortly after his release from North Korean imprisonment in a coma exactly one year ago.

In the lead-up to the summit, North Korea released three other Americans who had been held hostage. Pompeo brought them home last month on the second of his two visits with Kim to lay the groundwork for Tuesday.

After the ceremony, Trump and Kim walked back to the platform where they started the morning with a handshake, shaking hands once again. Responding to reporters, Trump, who prides himself on his dealmaking skills, called Kim a “worthy negotiator.”

“We had a terrific day, and we learned a lot about each other and about our countries,” Trump said. “I learned he’s a very talented man. I also learned that he loves his country very much.”

—Updated at 5:54 a.m.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/391764-trump-and-kim-sign-agreement-denuclearization
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2018, 01:34:45 pm »
One other good thing that came out of this as Dennis Rodman revealed how President Obama blew him off when he approached Obama regarding Kim’s desire to make positive changes, and how Trump took the opposite position in welcoming Rodman’s overtures.

Don’t think that this went unnoticed in the black community as Trump continues to make inroads there for republican gains.

Offline thackney

« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2018, 01:35:52 pm »
Not if they don’t have any concrete terms that can be enforced.  Where are the enforceable obligations in this “letter of intent”?

And are binding commitments typical at the very first meeting to discuss a possible agreement?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline corbe

« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2018, 01:36:24 pm »
@kevindavis
The NK haven't been given anything.    I don't see you protesting China?  In fact you seem to support 'free trade' which involves sending jobs to that communist nation.

but perhaps you'd prefer nuclear explosions over Seattle.

We're also finding out years later what obummer promised the Iranians under the table.  I don't trust any of them. @driftdiver 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2018, 01:36:24 pm »
Why?  I haven’t dissed Trump in all this.  I just his idiotic worshippers who are reading way more into this than what actually happened.

You're coming off as if you're worried someone somewhere might think well of Trump for what happened yesterday.

Why not just hope things work out, with the rest of us? Surely you can't believe it would've been better if none of this happened.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2018, 01:37:43 pm »
   We're also finding out years later what obummer promised the Iranians under the table.  I don't trust any of them. @driftdiver

@corbe
I don't either but Trump was amazingly open in his press conference.  I don't remember seeing any President acting with as much confidence and being as open.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2018, 01:39:14 pm »
I hope all the compliments Trump has bestowed on Kim are part of reeling Kim in....some of these compliments are sickening

Trump says Kim has a ‘great personality’

Trump: North Koreans love Kim

Trump: I’ll ‘absolutely’ invite Kim Jong Un to White House

Trump lavishes Kim with compliments after historic summit
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/391770-trump-lavishes-kim-with-compliments-after-historic-summit
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2018, 01:43:24 pm »
"I do trust him, yeah," Trump said. "Maybe in a year you’ll be interviewing and I'll say I made a mistake. It's possible. We’re dealing at a high level, a lot of things can change a lot of things are possible."

Reminiscent of how he hires the best people, then rags on them mercilessly on Twitter after they’re fired.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2018, 01:43:47 pm »
@kevindavis
The NK haven't been given anything.    I don't see you protesting China?  In fact you seem to support 'free trade' which involves sending jobs to that communist nation.

but perhaps you'd prefer nuclear explosions over Seattle.

There is a thing called Missile Defense.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Oceander

« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2018, 01:44:00 pm »
And are binding commitments typical at the very first meeting to discuss a possible agreement?

Why can’t you simply admit that this was nothing more than a pleasant meet and greet, with no substantive results?  There is no dishonor in it, and it doesn’t reflect poorly on you or Trump. 

What it did not do was move the ball down the field even an inch.  So let’s stop pretending that Trump just kicked a field goal. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2018, 01:46:31 pm »
Here's the full text of 'historic' document Trump, Kim signed at North Korea summit
by Washington Examiner Staff
 | June 12, 2018 04:27 AM

President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un signed a joint statement on Tuesday after their historic meetings in Singapore.

Read the full statement as seen in photos below:

Joint Statement of President Donald J. Trump of the United States of America and Chairman Kim Jong Un of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea at the Singapore Summit

President Donald J. Trump of the United States of America and Chairman Kim Jong Un of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) held a first, historic summit in Singapore on June 12, 2018.

President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un conducted a comprehensive, in-depth and sincere exchange of opinions on the issues related to the establishment of new US-DPRK relations and the building of a lasting and robust peace regime on the Korean Peninsula. President Trump committed to provide security guarantees to the DPRK, and Chairman Kim Jong Un reaffirmed his firm and unwavering commitment to complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.

Convinced that the establishment of new US-DPRK relations will contribute to the peace and prosperity of the Korean Peninsula and of the world, and recognizing that mutual confidence building can promote the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un state the following:

The United States and the DPRK commit to establish new US-DPRK relations in accordance with the desire of the peoples of the two countries for peace and prosperity.
    The United States and DPRK will join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula.
    Reaffirming the April 27, 2018 Panmunjom Declaration, the DPRK commits to work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula
    The United States and the DPRK commit to recovering POW/MIA remains, including the immediate repatriation of those already identified.

Having acknowledged that the US-DPRK summit -- the first in history -- was an epochal event of great significance in overcoming decades of tensions and hostilities between the two countries and for the opening up of a new future, President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un commit to implement the stipulations in the joint statement fully and expeditiously. The United States and the DPRK commit to hold follow-on negotiations, led by the US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, and a relevant high-level DPRK official, at the earliest possible date, to implement the outcomes of the US-DPRK summit.

President Donald J. Trump of the United States of America and Chairman Kim Jong Un of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea have committed to cooperate for the development of new US-DPRK relations and for the promotion of peace, prosperity, and the security of the Korean Peninsula and of the world.

DONALD J. TRUMP
President of the United States of America

KIM JONG UN
Chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea

June 12, 2018
Sentosa Island
Singapore
Support the USO

Oceander

« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2018, 01:46:46 pm »
You're coming off as if you're worried someone somewhere might think well of Trump for what happened yesterday.

Why not just hope things work out, with the rest of us? Surely you can't believe it would've been better if none of this happened.

You’re simply projecting your own insecurities into others.  I won’t worship Trump or claim he’s accomplished concrete goals others could not, and you think I’m dissing him?

Get over it.  Y’all are as pathetic as the liberals who were crowing about Obamas deal with Iran. 

Offline endicom

« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2018, 01:48:00 pm »
I just his idiotic worshippers who are reading way more into this than what actually happened.

It's you reading things into the comments of the "idiotic worshippers." We all know this summit was just an opening move.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2018, 01:48:16 pm »

@WalshFreedom

He makes a propaganda video for North Korea, he stops our joint military exercises with South Korea, he puts the North Korean Flag up there right next to ours, and he says Kim Jong Un is a great man who loves his own people.

Uh...Trump is a tough guy?

No wonder Kim is smiling.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2018, 01:48:36 pm »
Why can’t you simply admit that this was nothing more than a pleasant meet and greet, with no substantive results?  There is no dishonor in it, and it doesn’t reflect poorly on you or Trump. 

What it did not do was move the ball down the field even an inch.  So let’s stop pretending that Trump just kicked a field goal.

Exactly..Trump himself has said that the first meeting is just the beginning..there will be more.
Support the USO

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2018, 01:48:37 pm »
@Restored
South Korean news showed video of the SK president and Kim speaking.   Kims question to the SK president was how can he know he can trust the US to do what we say we will do.

I think NK is bankrupt and Kim knows he has to do something or he will end up on the wrong end of a mortar or VX nerve agent.

Probably so.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2018, 01:48:49 pm »

There is a thing called Missile Defense.

@kevindavis
Which has never been shown to work with ICBMs.   Nor would it even be feasible for an EMP attack which NK is capable of right now.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2018, 01:51:05 pm »
Support the USO

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2018, 01:51:12 pm »
@kevindavis
Which has never been shown to work with ICBMs.   Nor would it even be feasible for an EMP attack which NK is capable of right now.

@driftdriver

According to whom?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2018, 01:52:07 pm »
It's hard to think things will slide by Bolton and Pompeo.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2018, 01:54:33 pm »
No more nukes! Kim Jong-un commits to COMPLETE DENUCLEARISATION in historic Trump meeting
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/972977/Trump-Kim-summit-meeting-signing-donald-trump-kim-jong-un-singapore-agreement-nuclear
Support the USO