Author Topic: Hawaii volcano eruption: Map of lava flow shows Big Island area OBLITERATED  (Read 698 times)

Offline thackney

Hawaii volcano eruption: Map of lava flow shows Big Island area OBLITERATED
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/972595/Hawaii-volcano-eruption-map-lava-Big-Island-Kilauea-Kapoho-Leilani-Pohoiki
Jun 11, 2018

The United States Geological Survey (USGS) has charted out Kilauea’s hazardous lava flows in the Kapoho, Leilani and Pohoiki areas.

Kilauea’s eruption in the active Lower East Rift Zone has created more than a mile of new land since eruptions began on May 3.

The volatile Hawaii volcano spread over four billion cubic feet of molten rock into the Pacific Ocean, pushing the coastline out south of Cape Kumukahi.

As of Sunday, June 10, three volcanic fissures are still active and spewing molten rock hundreds of feet into the sky.

The USGS warned “vigorous eruptions of lava” are still going off along the fissure system in Leilani Estate.

The agency said: “The three closely spaced lava fountains at Fissure Eight are erupting with maximum heights reaching 150 to 180 feet.

“Lava continues to be fed into the channelized flow trending north and then east to the ocean entry at Kapoho.”...

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Applewood

My brother and sister-in-law are taking a cruise to the Hawaiian Islands next month.  Brother says he wants to take a helicopter ride over the volcano to watch it erupt. 

I don't think anyone is going to be allowed anywhere near the volcano and I told him so.  But as always, he dismissed me as not knowing what I'm talking about.

Maybe this report and the map will convince him.   

Offline thackney

My brother and sister-in-law are taking a cruise to the Hawaiian Islands next month.  Brother says he wants to take a helicopter ride over the volcano to watch it erupt. 

I don't think anyone is going to be allowed anywhere near the volcano and I told him so.  But as always, he dismissed me as not knowing what I'm talking about.

It is a shield volcano.

http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/shield-volcanoes

It isn't going to explode like Mount Hood.  It is more like a leak that keeps coming back.

Helicopter tours continue.  So do boat tours.

http://www.news-gazette.com/opinion/guest-commentary/2018-06-09/guest-commentary-see-eruption-hawaii-2018.html

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I took an airplane tour once when wife and I visited.  Outstanding and memorable.  You can fly right over the eruption site and see the red lava, as well as the flows creating new land in the ocean with the billows of steam.

The tour will also fly you over the wet eastern part of island where there are +thousand foot waterfalls in the valleys.

I recommend it.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Looks like there is a lot of damage in one area, but the island is hardly "obliterated".

Offline thackney

Looks like there is a lot of damage in one area, but the island is hardly "obliterated".

from a week or so ago...

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Volcano creates new land after lava fills Hawaii ocean bay

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/06/entire-hawaii-neighborhood-vanishes-as-lava-gushes-in.html

So much for the expression, “Buy real estate, because they aren’t making any more of it.”
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline rustynail

If one had beach front property and the lava covered and extended the 'beach front', does the extended portion belong to the owner?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
If one had beach front property and the lava covered and extended the 'beach front', does the extended portion belong to the owner?

Maybe...but, either way, it's taxable.