Author Topic: Just call it the Gee 1 and be done with it . . . .  (Read 289 times)

Offline endicom

Just call it the Gee 1 and be done with it . . . .
« on: June 10, 2018, 01:45:29 am »
The DiploMad 2.0
W. Lewis Amselem
June 9, 2018

After another multinational gab fest last January,  I noted that

President Trump is THE rockstar of the global political world. I don't even know why other leaders bother showing up when this POTUS is in town . . . was anybody else at the meeting? Who knows? Who cares?

We can make the same observation and ask the same questions after the just-concluded G-7 meeting in Canada. Was there anybody else there who matters? Look at the photos. All the other leaders seem to be crowding around Trump, all eyes on him. As in the GOP primary debates, one would be hard-pressed to recall anything said by any another participant. I don't think we have seen anybody dominate international meetings in this manner since . . . since, uh, well, maybe since Jackie Kennedy accompanied her husband to Paris . . ?

Trump sets the agenda, determines the pace, and sucks the oxygen out of the room at these meetings. And--surprise!--the others have no choice but to go along and serve as his foils; they are forced to highlight that Trump alone among them seems to be the nationalist concerned about his people first, and not at all about the international bureaucrats and their bureaucracy.

More... http://www.thediplomad.com/2018/06/just-call-it-gee-1-and-be-done-with-it.html