Author Topic: This Device Sucks Drinking Water Out of Dry Desert Air, Powered Only by The Sun  (Read 1016 times)

rangerrebew

This Device Sucks Drinking Water Out of Dry Desert Air, Powered Only by The Sun

Absolutely incredible.
FIONA MACDONALD
9 JUN 2018

When it comes to future challenges, one of the biggest will be water scarcity - on a warming planet we're going to have plenty of seawater, but not enough fresh, clean water in the right places for everybody to drink.

And while a lot of research has focussed on desalination, a team of scientists have now come up with another possible solution - a device that pulls fresh water out of thin air, even in the middle of the desert. All it needs is sunlight.

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-revolutionary-device-sucks-drinking-water-out-of-dry-desert-air-powered-only-by-the-sun
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 04:25:12 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Law of "unintended" consequences...pulling whatever moisture is in the desert air is sure to affect the biology of said desert.  Desal is the way to go...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Great invention as long as you can keep the Jawas from getting their hands on it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
It is also almost complete woo. Some of you all may remember Thunderfoot from DC. He is a nuclear scientist in the UK and has done some debunking videos of some of these miracle technologies.

http://youtu.be/LVsqIjAeeXw

Kind of like solar roadways and the hyperloop, their real intention is to generate money from investors.

Offline Suppressed

Kind of like solar roadways and the hyperloop, their real intention is to generate money from investors.
Lindybeige's take:
! No longer available
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Law of "unintended" consequences...pulling whatever moisture is in the desert air is sure to affect the biology of said desert.  Desal is the way to go...
Drill down, you'll find water. De sal as needed, inject the leftover brine back into the same formation a few miles away. I worked a well in Nevada where the water was only 200 ppm Chlorides--it looked like oil on the resistivity log. BLM lease, permit to produce oil, not water. P&A.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

Drill down, you'll find water. De sal as needed, inject the leftover brine back into the same formation a few miles away. I worked a well in Nevada where the water was only 200 ppm Chlorides--it looked like oil on the resistivity log. BLM lease, permit to produce oil, not water. P&A.

The whole point is that the people don't have the ability to drill, especially in hard-rock areas.

Let alone desal.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/19/california-sinking-groundwater-pumped-drought
Vast areas of California are sinking as groundwater is pumped in drought
Research shows that in some places the ground is sinking nearly two inches each month, putting infrastructure on the surface at growing risk of damage

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/communities/northeast/article/Aquifer-levels-sinking-fast-5285675.php
Aquifer levels sinking fast

Offline Suppressed

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/19/california-sinking-groundwater-pumped-drought
Vast areas of California are sinking as groundwater is pumped in drought
Research shows that in some places the ground is sinking nearly two inches each month, putting infrastructure on the surface at growing risk of damage

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/communities/northeast/article/Aquifer-levels-sinking-fast-5285675.php
Aquifer levels sinking fast
We're gonna be like Mexico City in places, where the ground floor has disappeared into the ground in some areas.

Bad thing is, it damages the aquifer so it's irreversible.
And many areas of the US are using up groundwater faster than precipitation can replace it.
+++++++++

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Lucas had this figured out long ago:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 06:08:07 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++