Author Topic: A Dutch City Is Creating the First Habitable, 3D Printed Houses  (Read 2672 times)

rangerrebew

A Dutch City Is Creating the First Habitable, 3D Printed Houses

by Victor Tangermann June 6, 2018 Future Society

As a kid, you probably heard the story of the three little pigs. To recap the tale: Three pigs build homes out of straw, sticks, and bricks respectively. In the end, only the brick house is able to withstand the huffing and puffing of the hungry neighborhood wolf. The moral here? Hard work pays off.

But, in our future-oriented fable, there was a fourth pig. A pig that went all out, and built his house using a state-of-the-art 3D concrete printer – preserving a ton of energy, and reducing overall waste in the process. No amount of huffing or puffing could flatten it. And he barely had to lift a hoof.

https://futurism.com/3d-printing-habitable-houses/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: A Dutch City Is Creating the First Habitable, 3D Printed Houses
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 04:55:58 pm »
This trend will continue and will permanently eliminate a large number of no-to-low-skilled labor jobs. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 05:00:12 pm »
This trend will continue and will permanently eliminate a large number of no-to-low-skilled labor jobs.

Did you see the pictures of the places?  No one in America is going to want that crap.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 05:01:15 pm »

No, it won’t.  It’s basically prefabbing certain structural components with a concrete gun, but the structure still needs to be put together and all the finish work done.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 05:11:22 pm »
No, it won’t.  It’s basically prefabbing certain structural components with a concrete gun, but the structure still needs to be put together and all the finish work done.

Try this one:  https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/07/apis-cor-3d-printed-house/

It is built in place - there is no putting together of the structure.

And, Roos, you may not want to live in it, but I bet a lot of people would.  The design allowable are almost infinite too.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 05:24:37 pm »

And, Roos, you may not want to live in it, but I bet a lot of people would.  The design allowable are almost infinite too.

I dunno, I'm not convinced there are a lot of people tbat want to live in 400 sq. ft.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 05:32:32 pm »

It’s still not a finished structure.  Quote: “Workers had to manually paint it and install the roofing materials, wiring, hydro-acoustic and thermal insulation, but that didn't take much time.”

The window casements also had to be installed. Other than framers, it’s not going to put a lot of trades out of work. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 05:32:40 pm »
I dunno, I'm not convinced there are a lot of people tbat want to live in 400 sq. ft.

That's only one example.  They can be built as big as they want to.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 05:35:22 pm »
" 3 D printing" is a misnomer.

But I don't have a better descriptor, yet
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 05:37:57 pm »
It’s still not a finished structure.  Quote: “Workers had to manually paint it and install the roofing materials, wiring, hydro-acoustic and thermal insulation, but that didn't take much time.”

The window casements also had to be installed. Other than framers, it’s not going to put a lot of trades out of work.

I was responding to your prior statement.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 05:38:46 pm »
Did you see the pictures of the places?  No one in America is going to want that crap.

What are you talking about? They look great.....

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 05:42:41 pm »
That's only one example.  They can be built as big as they want to.

That link you provided just says they can be bigger, not any saize they want.  Still not convinced, plus like O says, there's plenty of other low skilled work to do besides just the framing.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 05:43:58 pm »
What are you talking about? They look great.....

I think those Smurf houses are bigger than the ones in the article.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 05:45:04 pm »
That link you provided just says they can be bigger, not any saize they want.  Still not convinced, plus like O says, there's plenty of other low skilled work to do besides just the framing.

That shit is no different then conventional modular housing. It can be as big as you want it. Just have to stack them or place them in a row.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 05:52:53 pm »
That shit is no different then conventional modular housing. It can be as big as you want it. Just have to stack them or place them in a row.

I wonder if they could get structural approval in hurricane prone areas.  At $25/sq ft I could build me a mansion!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 06:12:15 pm »

@RoosGirl

I would.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 06:15:13 pm »

@Sanguine

Which is where the REAL problems lie in the 21st Century. Cities filled with young males that have no job skills and there are no labor jobs available. Which means the people that do have jobs will be taxed up to their eyeballs to pay for food,housing,clothing,and drug money for the people that don't.

What's that I hear? Is it the sound of trains and boxcars coupling to take the unemployed out to live in labor camps out in the country?

Hmmmm,who else in history has had those ideas?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 06:17:35 pm »
@Sanguine

Which is where the REAL problems lie in the 21st Century. Cities filled with young males that have no job skills and there are no labor jobs available. Which means the people that do have jobs will be taxed up to their eyeballs to pay for food,housing,clothing,and drug money for the people that don't.

What's that I hear? Is it the sound of trains and boxcars coupling to take the unemployed out to live in labor camps out in the country?

Hmmmm,who else in history has had those ideas?

We already have a lot of those young males and I think those numbers will increase.  And, no point in sending them out to the country; they're not really needed here either.

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 06:19:16 pm »
Get real people.  Where are all the permanently unemployed driven out of work by the invention of the tractor, or the backhoe, or any other piece of industrial equipment?  Where are all the permanently unemployed coach builders?  Horse drivers?  Etc, etc, etc.   

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2018, 06:26:12 pm »
Get real people.  Where are all the permanently unemployed driven out of work by the invention of the tractor, or the backhoe, or any other piece of industrial equipment?  Where are all the permanently unemployed coach builders?  Horse drivers?  Etc, etc, etc.

Well, the coach builders and horse drivers have long ago died off.  Different times and different circumstances.  Just as we don't need horse drivers, we don't need as many low-skilled laborers.  Where are all the factory workers and miners?  Oh, that's right - a whole bunch of them are unemployed.

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2018, 06:29:22 pm »
Well, the coach builders and horse drivers have long ago died off.  Different times and different circumstances.  Just as we don't need horse drivers, we don't need as many low-skilled laborers.  Where are all the factory workers and miners?  Oh, that's right - a whole bunch of them are unemployed.

Really?  We have, what, 20% permanent unemployment right now?

No, we don’t.  Stop pretending that economics is a zero-sum game. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2018, 06:41:05 pm »
Really?  We have, what, 20% permanent unemployment right now?

No, we don’t.  Stop pretending that economics is a zero-sum game.

I posit that it is you who are pretending.  We have 95 million adults without jobs right now, +78 million over the age of 24.  Some of them are retired, stay at home parents and a few are still students.  However, that leaves an enormous number of people who are unemployed because they are not employable in the market that they are competing for jobs in.

Economics may not be a zero-sum game, but supply and demand still work in the real world.

(And, as fun as this has been, being insulted and all, I've got to get some work done.  Back later.)

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 06:49:50 pm »
I posit that it is you who are pretending.  We have 95 million adults without jobs right now, +78 million over the age of 24.  Some of them are retired, stay at home parents and a few are still students.  However, that leaves an enormous number of people who are unemployed because they are not employable in the market that they are competing for jobs in.

Economics may not be a zero-sum game, but supply and demand still work in the real world.

(And, as fun as this has been, being insulted and all, I've got to get some work done.  Back later.)

So, what do you propose to do?  Shall we prohibit all labor-saving devices?  Just think, if we went back to digging holes with shovels and buckets, we could hit 100% employment!  Damned that James Watt and his infernal steam engine.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 07:23:26 pm »
So, what do you propose to do?  Shall we prohibit all labor-saving devices?  Just think, if we went back to digging holes with shovels and buckets, we could hit 100% employment!  Damned that James Watt and his infernal steam engine.

Now you're beginning to get it.  Yes, if we went back to human labor, probably everybody would be able to find a job of some sort.  But, you and I agree, that isn't where we are now.  Times have changed. So, what do we do with the large number of people who are and will be unemployable in the world we live in now?  Do you deny that they exist?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2018, 07:25:29 pm »
We already have a lot of those young males and I think those numbers will increase.  And, no point in sending them out to the country; they're not really needed here either.

@Sanguine

Euphemism.

Shorthand for "they are going out into the country where they will have like-minded companions to play with out in the sunshine,just like we did with your sick puppy."